Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-54
RigExpert AA-54 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: RigExpert AA-54 is powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines in the range of 0.1 to 54 MHz. USB connection to computer.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2017 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Another great use....  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an "add-on" review to my previous one.

Full disclaimer: I've got an AA-54 and two AA-600's in my analyzer harem. One for me, HF, two for work UHF.

I was watching a video about how to use a manual antenna tuner today. The presenter showed how you could use an antenna analyzer to simulate your transmitter when initially tuning bands.

I got thinking about that, and said.. hey... I an do the same with the input tuning slugs on my amp.

And so I did. I stuck the amp into a dummy load, put a dummy load on the exciter, and plugged the AA-54 into the RF-INPUT on my AL-811

Key up, no drive obviously. It takes a few seconds for the AA-54 to sweep the band. Now I have a clear picture of what's going on. Set the AA-54 to menu choice 7 (SWR), stick a tuning stick into the slug, and key up again. Adjust. Perfection.

Most of the bands were just fine. But 15m was over 3:1 input SWR. 20m was over 2:1 input SWR. No wonder I couldn't make much power on 15 meters!

Tweaked both. Now I got full power out on 15 meters, and a little better on 20 meters.

Its not some sort of game stopping revelation, but the low power on 15 meters annoyed me. The built in SWR meter on my ICOM 7200 has no resolution whatsoever, so adjusting things this way was quick, simple, and accurate.

Just thought I'd pass that along. The graphic display of the entire band makes things very easy understand how adjustments are doing. I should have thought of this a year ago.

WA2SI Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2017 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The AA-54 is a very powerful tool that's quite simple to use. It's worth every penny and can be purchased directly from RigExpert USA. (They offer a better warranty when purchased directly through them.)The build quality is solid and its operation intuitive. This unit is highly recommended.

RigExpert USA's customer service is A1 and e-mails are answered very promptly. The level of customer service and the willingness to "go the extra mile" to ensure you're completely satisfied by Lynette and the entire RigExpert USA staff is second to none and equaled only by Elecraft. (Fine company indeed!)

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2017 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been five years since I bought it and recently learned something new.

I use the TDR feature to monitor the shape of my coax to various antennas. It shows you the characteristic impedance as you scan along the length from shack to antenna. Recently I found a couple segments of old coax that were showing 65 ohms for what used to be 50 ohm coax. I tested the old coax using 1000 points ( as recommended) and also 4000 and then 5000 points. The characteristics of a brand new 175' segment of RG213 when I tested it by itself, open circuited, was 51 ohms. Perfect. But when I inserted it into the final 175 ft leg of my feedline to my 160m inv-L the readings varied. depending on how many points I used.

Specifically, the characteristic impedance was 58-62 ( 1000 pts), 54-55 ( 4000 points) and 57-58 ( 5000 pts). Why did it climb for the highest resolution? The manual said you could test it either open circuited, close circuited or connected to an antenna.

Clearly, it makes a difference which way you test, because when I tested the new coax installed at the far end of the coax line, but disconnected from the antenna, it read as expected.....51 ohms.

I now have my antennas wired with a short coax pigtail connected to a male connector into a barrel connector, so I can remove the antenna and just test the entire run of coax (open-circuited.) It's much much more precise. and Im a happy camper. (despite what the manual says.)

N4OC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Ease of use & excellent performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't normally write reviews but this analyzer is worth the money in every respect. Simple to use, very reliable and definitely field portable. The ability to save graphs and charts directly from the analyzer plus the ability to connect directly to a computer for higher resolution graphs with a high degree of info is exceptionally useful.

I'm using a MACBOOK laptop with Parallels software to run the AntScope software.

KB4DU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2017 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite test instrument. I use it to measure everything from the antenna connection on the rig to the guy ropes at the end of the antenna. The additional features of the AA54 compared to the AA30 are well worth the money, especially to measure several frequencies at once. The included software really extends the capabilities to include nearly everything a ham could use.

WB6UQA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for Hex Beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can scan 5 bands at the same time. Can test for interaction of bands.

KM6AXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful tool But....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I "think" I am using the analyzer correctly. At least, it sure looks like it's giving this newbie helpful information. Even though I do not yet understand all it's components, it sure has pleased me!! I love learning new stuff - I wish there was more in depth info as to "how does one use the data to improve antenna problems". I know the data is there but I lack the knowledge to use it correctly. For example, page 10 of the user manual discusses the R.X graph mode. That is fine - but what I need to know is how does one pick out danger/performance issues by looking at that graph? The SWR part I get (I think - but newbie still) and using it seems to produce great results. Maybe the manufactuer rightly assumes that if one is to use this device, one should know HOW to use it:):) I can understand that and will endeavor to search the internet for such "using answers". Just lazy on my part I reckon? Anyway, I am very happy with it and recommend it's use to all (hopefully your user knowledge is greater than mine).

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All hams doing HF should have one of these. Easy to use and it's just the best antenna analyzer on the market.

DJ3UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As someone wrote already - this gave me more information about my antennas then I ever had about any of my antennas before :)

Great device, stable, I personally expected it to be little bit smaller, but so far so good, really happy with it.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Quality upgrade from MFJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my Rigexpert AA-54 when my MFJ259B died. The AA-54 is significantly better at around the same price. I got mine on sale at HRO in the Bay Area location near San Jose. It has every feature I need and works well on all bands including 160m which I could never make work right on the MFJ. The battery life is also excellent. I have yet to use all the features but will soon be tryint additional tests with it. I couldn't recommend this product more.