Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Yaesu FC-102 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FC-102
Yaesu FC-102 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1200 watt, capability of switching 4 antennas to 2 radios and has built in peak reading watt meter
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/sommerkamp_fc102.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FC-102.

WB8FVO Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 20:18 Send this review to a friend
More than a 1200 W tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run 1500 Watts through this tuner all the time. If you know how to use a tuner it will handle tons of power. The tuner section will handle 1500 watts but the meter requires recalibrating for higher power levels. Do all your tuning at low power don't try to load the bed springs and it will do fine at powers over 1.5 kW. The remote antenna switch is also a plus. I control 5 antennas on two runs of coax. This tuner is built like a tank.

AA4WB Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Not 1200 watt tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with last poster. This tuner is not a 1200 watt tuner when presented with high mismatch. At best a 200 watt tuner.

Has anyone added higher voltage fixed caps to improve power handling? Any ideas as to improve power handling? Add dork on caps? Variable caps at a fixed value?

K1ZJH Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2011 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Will not do 1200 watts!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked one of these up cheap at a hamfest
many years ago for a bargain price. Today they re "collectable."

At best this is a 200 watt tuner. I ran it with
my Heath SB-220 at 800 watts and destroyed the tuner.
Several of the fixed caps smoked, they could not handle the current or voltage. It is a
pretty accessory to compliment matching Yaesu
equipment, but it is not a 1200 watt tuner
by any stretch.

M6JBM Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 00:17 Send this review to a friend
ONE OF THE BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
THE YAESU FC-102 ATU IS A GREAT TUNER I HAVE HAD ONE IN MY SHACK FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN YET.
OTHER SO CALLED TUNERS I.E MFJ DO NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THIS PROPER GEAR NOT SAYING THERE STUFF IS NO GOOD BUT WHEN YOU HAVE HAD ONE AND YOU SPEND REAL CASH ON A GOOD ONE YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.
OVERALL IF YOU CAN FIND A MINTER GRABB IT WITH BOTH HANDS BE PREPAIRED TO PAY APPOX 150.00 PLUS HERE IN THE UK $200.00 IN THE USA ITS A KEEPER FOR SURE

KI4VEO Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2007 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Well build, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK, for the coax cable lovers, this tuner isn't too bad. However, I prefer open-wire feedline - the homemade stuff.

A previous posting spoke of the panel meter bulbs in series. Well, not mine, or on my schematic. The POWER METER bulb is out, but the SWR METER is working fine.

The FAS-1-4R remote coax switch is still in the factory box.

Very narrow range of impedance matching- 10 to 250 ohms.

The SWR meter needs recalibrated. It doesn't correlate to my BIRD 43 for reflected power.

This tuner is just a temporary layover as I procrastinate over building my balanced tuner (a la Richard Measures), or getting my Johnson KW Matchbox up and running.

Nice cosmetic "match" to my FT-102 equipment lineup. Too bad Yaesu didn't design it to be a bit more robust

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2006 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one for $80 at the local swapmeet, used it for a while, listen only sorry to say but very well made! And can control multiple antennas, no need for an extra antenna switch. I finally sold it but not because I didn't love the thing. I'd happily buy another any time!

VK3KBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2006 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Manual Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All,

I purchased my tuner second hand at a Hamfest on an impulse because it was in great condition and selling for a very reasonable price.

When I arrived at home and took the cover off, I was surprised at how well it was constructed. I agree with the previous reviews - quality and solid construction throughout.

I tested it on my 80m inverted V and it tuned up perfectly on all HF Bands, including the WARC Bands. My TH3 was also fine tuned easily.

I have since used it with an amplifier running the legal limit here and have never had any problems in any way.

Tuning is smooth and repeatable on my antennas and the Peak Reading Meter is a bonus.

I don't have the optional antenna switch module, so, as it is, I can only switch between two transceivers and two antennas. If you're after the capability to switch between four antennas, then you'll need to get the extra module. I've only seen one for sale in the past two years and it wasn't cheap.

The FC-102 is really a great tuner, it looks good, and has plenty of power handling capability. If you can get one with the optional module installed - all the better, as you may find it hard to obtain one seperately.

Regards,

Ben

G0JLX Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2005 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Manual Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have just purchased one of these units as its second owner, although by the look and smell of it, it has never ever been used. No arcing, burning or damage internally, and beautifully built, with excellent soldering on the joints. Battleship grey on the outside, which matches my FT-102 rigs perfectly.

Good clear and easy-to-use meters and controls, and pretty much idiot-proof.

I used it as a comparison paradigm against an FC-30 reviewed elsewhere on this site, using the FT-897 as an RF source, and there is no comparison. The FC-102 ATU worked like a dream every time.

Well worth the money paid and dead easy to use. A great tuner.

73's all
Andy D
G0JLX / ZD8AD

M3LCA Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2005 08:06 Send this review to a friend
solid build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a really well built bit of kit.
Bought as part part of a FT102 line up and intended to use it with the FT102 but tried it on other rigs and have now put my existing mfj jobby in the bin.
Tunes up a 30ft wire no problems.
Open the case and be amazed by the build quality it puts mfj to shame.
although expensive when new these tuners can be found cheaply on ebay / junk sales etc --- if you can find one cheap you won't regret it -- I havn't

VE3GID Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2003 19:41 Send this review to a friend
good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing wrong with this tuner. I use it with an FT990 and FAS104 (the aux. remote ant. swt)

No arcing or putzing... the light did burn out in the meter and was readily available from Radio Shack for $0.89. the meters need to be popped out then the meter itself opened... if your not afraid it might take you 10mins...

take your time and organize yourself, you won't have a problem...