Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Miller AT-2500 Help

Reviews Summary for Miller AT-2500
Miller AT-2500 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $miller AT-2500
Description: Automatic tuner for HF bands, 2500 Watts
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Miller AT-2500.

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking for a Good auto tuner to use on my 43' vertical Antenna project that would stand up to my amplifiers. After reading the reviews on eHam I set out to find a AT-2500.

Wow! What a tuner. She is built like a Tank, Quickly tunes across the bands and has no problem handling full legal output. I get great signal reports running QRP too. She easy tunes 3.0-30Mhz using a inductor switch (Most of my operations are on 20M- 40M - 80M)

The 12V tune motor wasn't operating when I purchased the Auto tuner, I opened the 12V gear-head motor case and found a axle slipping on one of the gear hubs, a few minutes with silver solder and a hot iron fixed that issue.

I would highly recommend this tuner to anyone looking for a tough tuner that is well built, very dependable, Super fast, user friendly both inside the case and front panel operation.
W3FRG Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2015 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was repairing an AT2500 for a friend since the LOAD tuning Cap was extremely hard to turn.
First thing that comes to mind is the clock motor gear head is faulty and/or requires lube.
Removed the Gear head mtr. Its a sealed unit, not possible to lube; Autotrol Model 200.
Motor was tested and works fine.
It was later discovered that the dielectric shaft at the front of the tuner, preventing HV contact to the user, was slipping on the spline of the CAP shaft.
Its a dielectric rod drilled out at the cap shaft end and press fitted on the spline.
This over time slips under the great force required to turn the LOAD motor.

FYI, the Tune motor is a Model 200 12Vdc (61.3 rpm)and the load is a Model 200 6Vdc (36 rpm).

I would suggest an isolated shaft coupling to prevent future problems and also isolate the HV from the user.
N6DCN Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Flawless 5+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is smooth as can be. Handles lots of power. Once you find the sweet spot on the inductor its a breeze. I have not found anything it won't tune. Get one you won't be sorry
W8YK Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2010 13:50 Send this review to a friend
very good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have only had the tuner for about 4 months now but it seems to be a very good tuner. i am however looking for some of the pushbutton switch caps, mine is missing 1 red and 2 black. when i received the tuner it did not work so well although the seller said it worked great so i went to work and did some basic maintenance on it and now it does work very well. hats off to miller and to the older equipment. i find the tuner to be a real workhorse and so far i have not found anything it won't match.
SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2005 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Slow but GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with the mighty AT 2500 is on commercial fishing boats. Some have been running 24/7/365 in a horrible salt air environment since 1974 with NO PROBLEMS. The auto tune is slow but works great. Many fishermen tune manually as it is so much faster than letting the autotune find the optimal setpoint.
They were often used with illegal (not type approved for marine HF SSB) but very effective Drake TR 7s. The combo made a fine HF setup. We used the AT 2500 to tune random wire end fed antennas. Seemed like it could couple to just about any antenna of sufficient length. Most who own one have only one regret, that they did not buy 2 since they are now out of production.
WA0LSB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2004 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellant tuner in all respects.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these tuners for 4 years, all of which are running high power amplifiers. (Alpha, Collins 30S-1). If one needs a new motor, he can use one purchased from Nebraske Sales (5.4v) and install a serives resistor to lower the voltage. Hope this helps.
2E1SDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2004 13:07 Send this review to a friend
quality product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
probably one of the best tuners ever made,build quality and components are top notch.2.5kw pwr handling,auto track,very rare product here in the uk,if you can get your hands on one BUY IT.
PY2KD Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2004 10:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is the best ever made tuner.

Mine is working great but one motor-drive is in trouble and I canīt a replacement here in Brazil.

Built with hi-Grade parts, protect the amplifier and match all antennas to 1:1

Can anybody help me with the motor ?
2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2003 17:11 Send this review to a friend
so far great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well I only have a half size G5RV up at the moment dut to moving house shortly!!!!
I am 95% digi modes for this reason the radio is a FT920 which is superb but !!!
the tuner is good but not that good ??? Hi Hi it cannot cope with the G5RV on 12m 15m 30m all other bands fine
well I aquired the JW Miller AT2500 it took 2 minutes to plug in and set up no special connections needed
it will work with any radio from 1w to 2500w output I am using 50 watts here well the Miller tuned 12m 15m 30m no trouble and just to test it out I tuned to 80m band and it tuned the little G5RV on there first time
the tuner is also a great looking piece of kit it is the about the same size as the FT920 so it's rather large
so all in all I can say this is one superb tuner which I think will tune just about anything
73 Ian 2E1RDX
WR8D Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2003 08:19 Send this review to a friend
The best "ever" built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I personally know hams that have used these for the past 12 years and they are still going without a problem. I have searched for the past 10 and finally found myself one. If you are looking at these new solid state jobs and want the best tuner ever built...well you better keep on looking. The book says "high power" will never damage this tuner. Its built like a tank. It will take your amp out of line if the swr goes over a value that you set. How many times have you been on the wrong antenna and keyed up and looked over and the amp was keyed? We've all done that. With this tuner you never have to worry about that again. All you have to do is set the inductor for each band...key 1 watt into it and it tunes automatically. You set the auto track mode and it will follow you on any band and keep you tuned with in excess of 2500 watts. Dang thats what i call "head room". Leave the auto track mode on and switch bands...set the inductor for that band then it tunes for you. I'm told now that these were high priced when they were made...i gave under 500 dollars for mine just recently. I also have another friend that got one for 500 bucks..So if you want with out a doubt the best ever made..i hope you can find one of these.
John WR8D