Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Miller AT-2500 Help

Reviews Summary for Miller AT-2500
Miller AT-2500 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $miller AT-2500
Description: Automatic tuner for HF bands, 2500 Watts
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Miller AT-2500.

N6DCN Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Flawless 5+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is smooth as can be. Handles lots of power. Once you find the sweet spot on the inductor its a breeze. I have not found anything it won't tune. Get one you won't be sorry

W8YK Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2010 13:50 Send this review to a friend
very good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have only had the tuner for about 4 months now but it seems to be a very good tuner. i am however looking for some of the pushbutton switch caps, mine is missing 1 red and 2 black. when i received the tuner it did not work so well although the seller said it worked great so i went to work and did some basic maintenance on it and now it does work very well. hats off to miller and to the older equipment. i find the tuner to be a real workhorse and so far i have not found anything it won't match.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2005 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Slow but GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with the mighty AT 2500 is on commercial fishing boats. Some have been running 24/7/365 in a horrible salt air environment since 1974 with NO PROBLEMS. The auto tune is slow but works great. Many fishermen tune manually as it is so much faster than letting the autotune find the optimal setpoint.
They were often used with illegal (not type approved for marine HF SSB) but very effective Drake TR 7s. The combo made a fine HF setup. We used the AT 2500 to tune random wire end fed antennas. Seemed like it could couple to just about any antenna of sufficient length. Most who own one have only one regret, that they did not buy 2 since they are now out of production.

WA0LSB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2004 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellant tuner in all respects.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these tuners for 4 years, all of which are running high power amplifiers. (Alpha, Collins 30S-1). If one needs a new motor, he can use one purchased from Nebraske Sales (5.4v) and install a serives resistor to lower the voltage. Hope this helps.

2E1SDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2004 13:07 Send this review to a friend
quality product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
probably one of the best tuners ever made,build quality and components are top notch.2.5kw pwr handling,auto track,very rare product here in the uk,if you can get your hands on one BUY IT.

PY2KD Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2004 10:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is the best ever made tuner.

Mine is working great but one motor-drive is in trouble and I canīt a replacement here in Brazil.

Built with hi-Grade parts, protect the amplifier and match all antennas to 1:1

Can anybody help me with the motor ?

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2003 17:11 Send this review to a friend
so far great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well I only have a half size G5RV up at the moment dut to moving house shortly!!!!
I am 95% digi modes for this reason the radio is a FT920 which is superb but !!!
the tuner is good but not that good ??? Hi Hi it cannot cope with the G5RV on 12m 15m 30m all other bands fine
well I aquired the JW Miller AT2500 it took 2 minutes to plug in and set up no special connections needed
it will work with any radio from 1w to 2500w output I am using 50 watts here well the Miller tuned 12m 15m 30m no trouble and just to test it out I tuned to 80m band and it tuned the little G5RV on there first time
the tuner is also a great looking piece of kit it is the about the same size as the FT920 so it's rather large
so all in all I can say this is one superb tuner which I think will tune just about anything
73 Ian 2E1RDX

WR8D Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2003 08:19 Send this review to a friend
The best "ever" built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I personally know hams that have used these for the past 12 years and they are still going without a problem. I have searched for the past 10 and finally found myself one. If you are looking at these new solid state jobs and want the best tuner ever built...well you better keep on looking. The book says "high power" will never damage this tuner. Its built like a tank. It will take your amp out of line if the swr goes over a value that you set. How many times have you been on the wrong antenna and keyed up and looked over and the amp was keyed? We've all done that. With this tuner you never have to worry about that again. All you have to do is set the inductor for each band...key 1 watt into it and it tunes automatically. You set the auto track mode and it will follow you on any band and keep you tuned with in excess of 2500 watts. Dang thats what i call "head room". Leave the auto track mode on and switch bands...set the inductor for that band then it tunes for you. I'm told now that these were high priced when they were made...i gave under 500 dollars for mine just recently. I also have another friend that got one for 500 bucks..So if you want with out a doubt the best ever made..i hope you can find one of these.
John WR8D

HA5CMG Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2001 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Better when modified with a ROLLER inductor.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one from a Cucumonga California ham, whos has NOT disclosed that he had HOT switched it and the inductor selector SW. was badly burned and was not working in several positions.

So I had decided to modify it with one of my earlier model of HF tunable Mobile antenna INDUCTOR. (See; Hi-Q-Antennas website:www.hiqantennas.com)
Made the inductor for an appx. value of 110 uH and now it will cover the 160 M band as well.Used #12 silverplated copper wire to handle the power.
The inductor now tunes with a hand crank, but it is very realiable.

73, Charlie VE7BOC/W6

K6RUS Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2000 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Huge, Efficient, Hands Free, Hi Power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted an automatic tuner for my newly acquired Ameritron ALS600 solid state linear and my research came up with few alternatives, all expensive and most obsolete. The J.W. Miller was made by a division of Bell Industries and I was able to buy one of the last made, a 1996 model. I hesitated to buy this tuner because it is 17" wide but I decided that my linear and Yaesu speaker cabinet would fit nicely on top. Now my Yaesu FT847 is dwarfed along side this set up. The AT2500 is a marvelous piece of engineering, it tunes fast and is very quiet and you only need to select the band letter (D or E for me, 10-15-20), set FT847 mode to FM and if you are polite, reduce your Xcvr power, then press "Start", it rapidly tunes to the SWR setting you have selected. My linear wants less than 2.5:1, so I leave the tuner set to 2:1. It will also control your linear, if it is not a "no tune" type. It comes with a coupler-bridge that goes in the RF line, so make sure the tuner comes with one of these little boxes, or you will need to build one from the drawings in the manual. You can "tweak" the tuning if you wish, e.g. move one of the two dials a little and you will see the SWR meter move right on down to 1:1 although the linear did not seem to care if it was 1:5 or 1:1. I had fun, turning a dial and then pressing the "start" button, watching closely the knob will rapidly turn back. It remembers one setting for each band. It does not automatically tune though, unless asked although there is a "tracking" feature that can be utilized. I noticed that it required less re-tuning than the MFJ986 I was using before, I wonder why? Design quality, perhaps? The manual says for SSB, it is not desirable because it requires a constant carrier. I tested it on 80 and 40 meters, same great results. I also tried it with a Butternut H9V as well as the Mini-Quad, makes the linear happy with either. If you like "bells and whistles", it has 'em! Panel ights to say what it is doing, audible alarm (on/off) if it can't tune the selected SWR, e.g. you tell it you are on one band but tune your xcvr to another. In this case, it has a standard sequence it goes through in attempting to match the impedance. An exciting to watch exercise as one dial turns and then the other. Lots of features, multiple antenna connections/switch settings and push buttons for various features. The tuner's appearance and color goes well with the modern Yaesu line, except for size. Inside, the construction is clean and high quality, lots of room and not much to go wrong. It is reported that all of the components are standard, lots of DIP chips on the PC board and only two small motors. The manual is for both operators and techies, you could probably build one of these from the information in the manual. Too bad they are not still making these and it is very unfortunate that they did not make a much smaller model that would handle a third of the power. If I sell my linear, the tuner will stay as I like it better than the modern Yaesu FC20. If I buy more power, I will still need this tuner unless of course I sell my car and get the Yaesu Quadra system. So if you want power and be feee from twisting knobs, get a no tune linear and one of these but expect to pay about $750-$850, if you find one for sale. They sold for over a thousand bucks new like the no longer produced Ten-Tec model 253. I guess the market just wasn't there for expensive automatic tuners.