Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Elecraft KPA-500 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KPA-500
Elecraft KPA-500 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1999.95 Kit Form
Description: KPA-500 Solid State Amplifier 160-10M Plus 6M, Auto Band
Switching via RF sense or cable connection.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KPA-500.

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 16:40 Send this review to a friend
It makes a 500+ watt K3  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used with the K3, it is like having a 500+ watt radio.

It is better than seamless integration with the K3, because if you use the proper interface cable, the band select buttons on the KPA500 change band on the K3 -- it actually adds features to your K3, not just power.

The amp is quiet, lightweight, and small. It is the same size as the K3 and a match in styling. It looks good on the desk next to the K3, but where it really shines is in how it works.

The integration is complete with the K3, just press the "OPER" button and the K3 reduces power to drive the amp to rated output. The fans are quiet, and even after extended use, I've never heard them on full speed.

I had a near-legal-limit amp before, with a pair of 3-500s, and though the KPA500 is slightly less than half the output power, it is far more satisfying to use. The tube amp required re-tuning for band changes, and that slowed down QSYs to chase spots; the KPA500 is no-tune, instant band change, 160-6. Change bands and transmit, no more knob twisting.

I've only used it with the K3, and I must say I am very happy I bought it. An excellent piece of gear.

K6RB Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built the KPA-500 almost two years ago and it replaced a Ten Tec Centurion in an SO2R set up. I have had zero problems with it, and use it in a K3/P3 station. I did not get the cable that switches bands in step with band changes in the K3. Instead, I let the unit sense the band change from the RF sample. Works fine. Very robust. Has been operated full blast in many contests including RTTY ones. Never missed a beat. I am currently contemplating replacing an Alpha 87A with another KPA-500 so that the SO2R station would be just 500 watts out. The fact that I'm even considering it should tell you how much I've come to enjoy using the KPA, and how much respect I have for it.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
K Line Rocks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mated with my K3 and the KAT500 Autotuner into an OCF doublet Windom cut for 80mtrs. The tuner tunes all the bands with no sweat. Everything works together so you feel like you are operating a 500w transceiver. One button-push and you've changed bands without any knob fiddling. The K3 knows when the amp is online and automatically reduces drive power to the proper level. Take the amp offline and full drive is restored. The entire system is seamless and dumb mistake proof.

Well done Elecraft. Well done.

KM4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received the KPA500 in very short time from ordering. It only takes about 5 hours if you stick with it to assemble. Build quality is excellent and components are excellent quality as well. As usual,
factory correspondence is very good. Weighs just 26 lbs. Mates very nicely with the K3 for automatic band switching. For 25-29 watts the KPA500 puts out 500+ watts. Coming from the old school of legal limit, using 500 watts and how well it does is a real surprise. Has of lots of protective circuits. Would recommend as a kit or factory build. The nice part about building is you get to know your amplifier. 73!

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Obtained for a remote installation along with the
KAT500 auto tuner, the amplifier and tuner work very well controlled over the internet using either the older control program or the new internet control program currently available as a Beta from Elecraft's site. No need to say much about the operation of the amplifier, it works perfectly with 500w output at about 30 watts drive and band switches automatically with RF detection.

For anyone using the Remoterig RRC boxes, both the KPA500 and the KAT500 auto tuner will work on com1 and com2 simultaneously using serial port setting 4 for both ports. There will be no extra com port for CAT in this case and you will need a serial server (such as the Moxa 5450) for Ham Radio Deluxe, for instance.

V47JA Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased at Dayton on Saturday, and was shipped by Elecraft the following Wed. It took about 8 hours to build the KPA-500 kit, the instuctions are clear, detailed and well illustrated. It worked perfect the first time on power-up. Driving it with the TS-590S, with 35 watts, I am getting 580 watts output. Both my PowerMaster SWR/PWR Meter, and the KPA500 internal SWR/PWR meters agree exactly. Every report, on very band has been excellent. Solid product all the way around. I am sure it will enjoy it's vacation life on St. Kitts.

AA6TJ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2013 06:40 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been very happy with my KPA500 which I use with Kenwood TS590s. I just changed the KPA 500 firmware to version 1.23 and now the RS232(xcvr)port works with the TS590s to change bands as the bands are changed on the TS590 without transmission. Many contacts have commented on the great audio and strong signal from the KPA500. I highly recommend it.

K0IMI Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2013 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent companion for a K3  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I built the KPA500 and introduced it to my K3 about 3 months ago. It was love at first sight. They are a perfect match. This is like operating a 500 watt transceiver. The K3 and KPA500 read each others' minds (like my wife and I do after nearly 50 years.)

This is my first solid state amp and it is a pleasure not to have to constantly retune. But that is only the beginning. Mated with a K3, the KPA500 changes bands when the K3 changes bands, it tells the K3 to reduce power when the amp is in the operating mode, the LCD display and the LED bars let me know exactly what is happening, and so much more. It doesn't get any better than this.

Like all Elecraft kits, it went together smoothly and worked correctly when first operated. Mine came with the wrong screws for the handle but that was no problem. The correct screws arrived in a couple of days and I then installed the handle.

If you have a K3 and want more than the 100 watts, this is definitely the way to go.

Thank you Elecraft.

K0JJR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Well Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fine piece of gear. Small, quiet, and very informative with the LCD display and the LED bar graphs. I have mine wired for 220V and fed by a Flex 5000A. 33-40 watts in yields 500 watts out. It's very smart and protects itself from operator errors. It's expensive, but it's well worth the price.

K7LA Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
The old adage is you don't buy a power drill, you buy the hole it makes. If you are in the market for a 500 watt compact amplifier I highly recommend the Elecraft KPA-500. It works seamlessly and is the one piece of gear in the shack that I never have to give a second thought.

The Elecraft KPA-500 amplifier is driven by a Yaesu FT-2000 rig. To integrate rigs and enable automatic band switching I needed a cable to connect the Yaesu 8 pin DIN BAND DATA jack to the KPA-500 15 pin AUX connector. The interface cable was sourced from Phil, W4AIN of On The Air Communications, a firm I highly recommend. Simply connect the interface, make a simple Elecraft menu change and you are on the air. The amp will automatically switch to your TX frequency, simplex or split ops.

Also have the optional Elecraft interface cable to connect to their K3 rig if I encounter one in the field. Please note, firmware upgrades are simple with a connection to your PC and Elecraft's handy free utility software program. A couple of mouse clicks and your amp is updated to the latest and the greatest version.

When you need to put a little more punch into your station, you could do a lot worse than the KPA-500. Yes, there are cheaper amps out there but plan on down time for repairs. The KPA-500 just keeps operating and I get great audio reports. Highly recommended.