Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Moonraker MRW-242 \"Mini Miracle\" HT stubby antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Moonraker MRW-242 \"Mini Miracle\" HT stubby antenna
Moonraker MRW-242 \ Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $15.00 GBP
Description: 2m, 70cms & 23cms "Stubby" type Triple Band handy antenna
More info: http://www.moonraker.eu/Amateur-Radio/Handheld-and-QRP-Antennas/Moonraker-Handheld-Antennas

You can write your own review of the Moonraker MRW-242 \"Mini Miracle\" HT stubby antenna.

G0LGB Rating: 1/5 Apr 7, 2011 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Dummy Load!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried a few of these "stubby" type ht antennas and most are disappointing...this more than most!

You would be naive to expect amazing performance from these antennas compared to, say, the stock ant, so I fully expect an S-point or two down on all bands.

However this brings reception to an all time low, especially on 2m!
My local repeater is S-9+30db on 2m with stock antenna, even indoors, on my Icom E-90.....with this "Mini Miracle" I get ZERO...I mean nothing at all, even with the squelch open, stood outside, waiving the rig in the air, absolutely nothing!

70cms is actually pretty much as expected, an S-point or two down on the stock ant, 23cms not tested as not a band I use.

I sent the first one back it was so deaf, I honestly didn't fancy running my rig through an antenna so badly matched on 2m, rather as expected the replacement was exactly the same, deaf as a post on 2m.

I did a quick test on 2m with a friend using his ht running 100mw, I lost his signal at just about 350 yards away with this antenna....when I put the stock antenna on I got a full scale, fully quietening signal from him...as I knew I would.

OK so this antenna isn't expensive, but modern handies certainly are, I would say using such a badly matched antenna on 2m could seriously damage your pa, save your money and avoid this one.

By the way...the quoted RX coverage on this is 25-1800mhz....ahem...if they say so!