Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ADI AR-147 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AR-147
ADI  AR-147 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $169.99
Description: High power (60W) two meter mobile
More info: http://www.adi-radio.com/

You can write your own review of the ADI AR-147.

KC2FTN Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2006 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Not too shabby !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this rig in my vehicle for about five months now and it has performed flawlessly. It has even made it through the brutal -25/30 degree Winter here in Northern New York with absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

W4FJF Rating: 0/5 Jan 23, 2006 00:55 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ADI AR-147 is a liability in the mobile or the shack. The displays fail or scramble, the mic is an engineering failure, and the internal speaker is a joke. In my 25 years as a ham, I have never seen a radio more prone to failure when you need it the most. I am not usually so critical of any manufacturer, but I have two useless AR-147's that lasted just long enough to get out of warranty, then fail miserably. I can't try to fix them myself, as my hands are not steady anymore, and I'm disabled so I cannot afford to have them fixed. I dare the manufacturer to replace my useless AR-147's with new equipment. That is the only way that will change my opinion of ADI.

DDD4D Rating: 2/5 Sep 25, 2005 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Frequency Read Out Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three ADI AR-147 radios and I like the radios a lot, but they have problems with the frequency read out like several have talked about. I took the front off of each radio and soldered a wire on one of the grounds one the back of the read out screen and took it to a ground inside the radio. I also soldered where the metal frame touched each grounding pad. I have had NOT one problem since these mods in any of the radios. I was having a lot of problems with all of them before this. N0LOG

AA2HA Rating: 1/5 May 8, 2005 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Junk radio and no tech support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I should have known better. The radio, out of the box, had distorted audio. It had been set too high at the factory. Repeaters couldn't even decode DTMF with the audio this high. No schematic is provided with this radio. I called ADI twice to speak to tech support. I just wanted to know which pot was for the audio level. They never called me back. I sent several E mails to them which were never answered. I cant believe they care so little about their customers to not so much as return a phone call or e mail about a brand new radio.
The receive is horrific also. I have performed side by side tests camparing the ADI to my Icom and Kenwood. It is between 6 and 9 Db lower in receive( as compared my other radios) Some repeaters That I use (around S-3 or so) arent even received at all on the ADI!
The VCO is a lousey design. ADI has a momolithic receiver and if the volume is turned high, feedback can be heard through the speaker. This can be corrected by using an external speaker, but you shouldnt have to. And with the single conversion receive, the radio will receive plenty of intermod from pagers and the such. This isnt a problem in rural areas, but here in the NY City area its almost not usable.

KD7EZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2005 05:27 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, the radio in the pic is the 146, as the 147 has a more rectangular mic with larger, easier to use backlit buttons. I own a dozen or so of these fine radios, and have yet to have ANY problems with them. They are being used in repeater service, as base stations, and mobile on some of the worst (roughest) roads in the country. I've had no problems with extreme heat (over 100), or cold (below zero). I made a couple of modifications: I installed a microswitch in the radio to completely disable the backlighting, and rewired the mic so the button backlighting only comes on when the switch on the back is in the unlock position.

I have made the same mods to both the 247 (220 MHz), and the 447 (440 MHz) rigs, and use them in the same ways mentioned above. I can't comment on the computer programming software, as I've seen no need for it, being that the radio is just too easy to program manually. I have gotten the best bang-for-the-buck out of the ADI radios, and would recommend them to anyone. :)

VE5NAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2005 18:42 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I'm not to sure what some kind of drugs most of you guys are on but I have no problems with this radio, hot or cold, long transmit or no transmit. Just like the rest of the ADI's I have it runs a little warm, but the lowest dim and a fan fix the problem. I have this radio on at least 18 hours a day and had no problems for the past 4 months. When I don't talk on it I use it for scanning and it does well enough for trains/taxi's/weather and RCMP.

W5LJM Rating: 2/5 Dec 5, 2004 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Receive Audio and Mic Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the previous posting, I mentioned the mic crapping out. Well, I have borrowed a fellow hams' mic and it transmits OK, but the receive audio is now being intermittent. It'll shut down during a conversation without warning. The other party will be talking away and I don't hear a thing. The only way I know he's talking is that the S-meter is lit up. Then suddenly the audio will come back again. Something has evidently became loose somewhere I suppose.
The borrowed mic will not allow any buttons to function except the PTT and the DOWN select button. This is a "heads up" to anyone contemplating purchasing an ADI AR-147+. They are a great inexpensive first tme radio, but may develope serious operating problems after a short period of use. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

K7SUB Rating: 1/5 Sep 12, 2004 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Forget the Display  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 147+ new also and have had it more than a year. The display went early and sometimes shows up, sometimes not. Fortunatly there are only a few repeaters in Northern WY so the rig gets returned to the normal monitor channel before it's turned off and the channels changed by feel when the display disappears. You would think ADI could come up with a fix to offer us, but that would probably cost them a bundle!

W5LJM Rating: 2/5 Sep 12, 2004 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Lot of problems here!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The ADI 147+ I bought brand new from AES started out as a great radio, with the exception of being hot to the touch within an hour of turning it on. I thought no biggie, I'll just put a 12 volt PC fan behind it to help dissipate the heat and dim the display lamp which seemed to put off alot of the heat because the face got hot too. It helped a little. Then, a few weeks later the display began to show problems. "Strange" characters began showing up. I turned it off to cool, but that didn't help. This problem became intermittent and happened every other day or so.
Now the mic has crapped out for no apparent reason. The power output and excellent receive capabilities are a plus, but it needs help in all other aspects of operation.

N9KSG Rating: 1/5 Aug 28, 2004 02:49 Send this review to a friend
crapped out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought a new 147 in 10/02. Worked okay in the truck for about 9 months. 1 day, I powered up and the display looked like Chinese - totally unrecognizeable charecters/images on the display.
I turned it on/off a few times and it worked okay for a day or 2. Now, it shows the totally screwed-up hyroglyphics(?) all the time. Strange thing is, I can go to my local rptr and transmit/receive fine. Only the display seems to be malfunctioning.

One other related flaw - the software for this radio sucks !

By the way, clipping that red wire DOES permit programming your local vhf pd repeaters.