Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | RADIOSPORT HEADSETS Help

Reviews Summary for RADIOSPORT HEADSETS
RADIOSPORT HEADSETS Reviews: 111 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $159. USD
Description: RS20S Stereo/Diversity Receive with Carbon Fiber Finish. 24db Noise Reduction with 3.5mm Plug and 1/4" Adapter
More info: http://www.arlancommunications.com/index.asp

You can write your own review of the RADIOSPORT HEADSETS.

W5DNT Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2016 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Simply the BEST, Period!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RS60CF is simply the best set of headphones available, period. The M208 dynamic mic element is very wide band and lends itself to EQ quite well. The headset is extremely comfortable to wear for extended periods such as Field Day, where the noise canceling cans help reduce fatigue. The construction and high quality of this headset is well worth the cost. You will be hard pressed to find anyone in amateur radio better to deal with than Dave Bottoms, WI6R. In my case, he worked with me to make sure I had everything right to produce the desired audio that I wanted. Mic element selection is important and Dave is a big help with that. Very customer oriented and a pleasure to work with. If you want to treat yourself to the best headset available, go for the RS60CF!!

VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2016 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok well for those that know me and the people that don't , I use a Headset Microhpone exclusively, and have done for many years, , I have one ear that is 35% behind in performance compared to the good ear, so headphones are a must, plus the fact, a headphone mounted Microphone, gives a more constant audio pattern, if you tend to move around a bit, I move around in the shack, so a desk mic is useless to me,
I have been thru most of featured brands, cheap and expensive,
have home brewed best features from different models etc, always trying to end up with the best of the best,
having to wear Glass's full time, adds another dimension to the mix, in regards to Comfortable headphones,
I have a NEW set of PROSET ELITE IC, but have to remove the SOCKS to relieve some pressure from the Glass's wing,
so it has been a long expensive quest to find the something that does all the jobs, as we all know, seldom that happens in Ham radio,

I have home brewed quality headsets with different brand cartridges, etc etc,
never to be 100% compeletely satisfied,
Beyerdynamic DT-109's, Sennheiser, AUDIO TECHNICA BPHS-1, Dave Clarke, Heil, USA Avionics, Telex D-950 , SHURE SM-2,
used Heil Proset Elite IC, and PROEST HC-5,
but was never 100% satisfied, comfort, TX audio quality, recovered audio etc was a big ask, and looked like a pipe dream after so long a period,
it is a big task to ask a manufacturer to cover all the base's in regards to HAM gear, as the headset microphone subject, has to cover a lot of variables,

well that was until I bothered to give ARLAN Communications, RS60C a run,
wow, is all I can say, just WOW,
that is it guys, Just WOW,

what ever everyone elses says, In Spades,
My only point I would like to mention, is the fact if someone that has never used a headset mounted microphone, they may find it a little claustrophobic the very first time they are put on the head, because they are an extremely close fitting headset given the GEL pads, the GEL pad molds to the ear and surrounding area, and the feel is CLOSE,
the external noise rejection is something that you need to try to appreciate, mind blowing really, so there will be a few MISSED phone calls, because unless you can see the phone flashing, you will NOT hear it,

Worth every razoo they cost,
and to discuss the subject with Dave direct, is an absolute pleasure, he is forth coming with product info, more so then any other product brand I have encountered,

Congratulations Dave, a memorable product that has etched a permanent mark in Amateur Radio FOR SURE,
Cheers
Dennis vk4sx,
PS
Also like to Thank RFSOLUTIONS for the foresight to investigate stocking ARLAN COMMUNICATIONS RADIO SPORTS products down under, to compliment their already exceptional web site, & ALSO nice for VK Hams to have access to TIER#1 products in our own back yard.
excellent all round,

KD6CCP Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Worth every dime.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having a hearing impairment, I have always been looking for great cans. Running a recording studio gives me access to some fine products in this area. But I must say the Radiosports are designed for ham radio use not pure stereo mixing like my other phones.. These are amazing. Well constructed and simple outstanding. I was using Heil but not anymore. Do yourself a favor and try these...

W4ATL Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this headset for over 1 year and it has performed very well. It is heavy, but if you take the time to adjust it to fit your head it is very comfortable to wear and doesn't seem heavy at all. Audio quality is excellent on the phones. They are comfortable to wear even with glasses and they seal outside noise very well. I would recommend getting the M208 mic element instead of the M207 if your rig has an equalizer. The M208 has a wide response and you can tailor the equalizer for wide or narrow response. The M207 has more of a communications quality sound that might be good for DX or contest work but not for ragchewing. Once I tweaked the equalizer on my K3 for the M208 people cannot tell the difference between my Heil Goldline in Wide mode and the M208. I do have slightly different equalizer settings for the two mics but they ended up sounding the same on the air.

NE6AA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 19:09 Send this review to a friend
RS60CF headset w/M208 Dynamic Mic   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Radiosport headset comfort and external sound suppression are great. My wife has given up trying to get my attention while I am on the radio. I do not hear the telephone or any other external sound. Construction quality, all materials, and operator comfort are superb. My regular contacts with whom I communicate in the Propagation Group on 17 meters have been reporting uniformly high audio quality reports as well as good RS signal reports. I have had no reports of RF in my outgoing signal as I did on occasion with an older Heil Pro set I was gifted as a hand-me-down. When I try the Heil again for comparison, there is no comparison. Enough said.

K3DTC Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
The Standard by which all headphone companies should aspire to  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought these headphones a few years back and had a problem with lack of audio on one side, so I FINALLY called Radiosport and Dave Bottom said please send them back because they were still under warranty (5 years), Dave was the BEST he ops checked them and emailed me promptly with his findings. He found that "I" was the fault at hand but was kind enough not to belittle me I didn't have the 1/4 inch plug inserted all the way. Dave provided FREE OF CHARGE a commercial plug AND ugraded the head pad to the NEW one being installed on the new model. What a PROFESSIONAL business and hat's off to Dave Bottom best customer service I ever came across. Oh and if you need to hear about the audio and comfort of these phones, they are simply the BEST.

WA0QIT Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2016 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best on the market today!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've tried many mics and headsets in almost 40 years of "hamming" but not until recently with the advent of my new 590SG did I seek a replacement for my "regular (but quite old) set of 'cans that has been boxed up for a few years while I was inactive.

Researching product reviews, forums, and ham stores led me to invest in an RS60CF w/ 600 ohm dynamic boom mic.

Delivery was speedy fast after calling and ordering personally thru Dave Bottom. My headset packing was quite sturdy and all was very well protected.

I got them on the air that afternoon and ever since, the signal reports I'm receiving on 80-10 are excellent, running 60-100w. Audio reports are crisp and clean, without any speech processing.

The foam padding on top of the (quite study but light) headset is very comfortable on my bald head, and the ear padding is a happy, comfortable, experience. Properly fitted and adjusted, I can't even feel the weight and there's very little pressure on my neck.

The mic (for once!) extends to directly in front of my mouth, not content to stop at the corner, forcing me to talk out of the side of it in order to feel like my audio is "making it" to the mic. (It's also reversible, so if you like it on the left, right, or just want to switch off occasionally, the choice is yours).

The only "downer" was where the headset cord connection plugs in on the headphone. The way it's positioned, those (like me) with short necks will find the connector "pokes" you in the shoulder when you move or turn your head. That kinda ruined it for me. So, I called Dave Bottom, who listened intently and said they had others comment on the same issue. In short order, he made up and shipped an identical headset but with the connector move backward a bit. Problem Solved! Quick, courteously, and professionally.

I bought my headset with both the foot-switch PTT and the hand PTT. Both are sturdy, with nice, long, tough cords. (One headset I tried from "another company" looked like they used a plastic 35mm film canister to house their PTT components w/ the switch protruding thru the top). No such "made-in-someone's-basement" setups with the RadioSports gear.

The handswitch is in a nice, sturdy, metal case which Dave textures and powder-coats for a finished, professional look. It has both a momentary and a locked PTT button, and the only addition I made was to glue some felt on the side that likes to lay on the desk (to protect against scratches and marring). The footswitch won't take up all the space under your desk, either. Both have a "heavy-duty-last-for-many-years" feel to them, despite being light.

Our large dog was sitting behind my operating chair barking (his food dish ran dry during our 75m net) and it wasn't until the XYL came in and flicked the room light off and on and then asked if I'd refill to food dish! Here he was, not 4 feet away, barking,....and I never heard him! Now THAT'S noise-cancellation!

You can bet these headsets are coming with us this year when we operate our yearly SES on board a moving excursion train along the north shore of Lake Superior. I wish I had the Radiosport with me last year, as the "noise-cancelling" set (from another company) didn't do much to negate the noise of the moving train and shack visitors. They're also coming along on when we work a local sled dog race in 2 weeks, Field Day, and any others that come along.

(Oh yeah, got a second set for the XYL!)

If I could give em 10 stars, I gladly would....

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 12:35 Send this review to a friend
5 years of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reviewed the RD60's back in Nov. 2011 under old N4MWR call.Use them daily and still work and look like new.Saw David at Orlando and told him the new headband cover was much nicer than my original one.He took my call and said he would send one.Arrived today with no charge.That's customer service!!!It looks and feels better.These phones will outlive me.They work better than others I've tried and highly recommend them,K4IIE

W6LAX Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2016 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement in my station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was really impressed when I first saw the Radiosport RS60CF headset at the Visalia DX Convention a few years ago. I was tempted but I didnít jump right in and buy a set because, well, they are quite pricey. But after 20 years of reliable service, my old Heil Pros finally bit the dust last week, thus freeing me to call Dave at Arlan Communications with my order.

My first impression was that they are extremely well made but pretty heavy, thus I was concerned that they would not be comfortable. But following the instruction sheet, I adjusted them properly and put them on the right part of my head and have found that they are very comfortable, even after several hours of wearing them.

Operating is a different experience than with my old headset. Not only does background noise all but disappear, but I actually do hear stations on the radio better. Others have made that comment in eHam reviews, but I didnít appreciate what they meant until I experienced it myself.

Although I am primarily a CW operator, I jumped onto SSB to test the mic (M207) and asked a PY2 station how my audio sounded. He said, ďDo me a favor and donít adjust anything. It sounds so good, please leave it just as it is.Ē I took that as an endorsement and enjoyed working a few more SSB stations, each of whom I could understand more clearly than from my old phones.

These arenít cheap, but among the headsets Iíve used they are by far the best.

N1EU Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Great communications quality headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Build quality including the detachable cable is excellent. Passive acoustic isolation is excellent but perhaps one or two dB less than my Pilot-USA headset. The headphones and M207 microphone are clearly designed for communications quality with an emphasis in the midrange. These headphones are NOT intended for ESSB / high fidelity use.