Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Kantronics KPC-9612 Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics KPC-9612 Plus
Kantronics KPC-9612 Plus Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $350
Description: The Kantronics KPC-9612+ is a multi-port, multi-speed data controller. Capable of speeds up to 38.4 kb (56k with crystal change) and optional three port operation.
More info: http://www.kantronics.com/kpc9612+.htm

You can write your own review of the Kantronics KPC-9612 Plus.

KE4RWS Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2002 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Still Terrific . . .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I previously wrote a review of this product and wanted to have further use of it before writing a follow-up review.

After using the KPC-9612 Plus an additional 2 months I still believe this is a great unit. There is one issue I wish Kantronics would have considered when they designed the 9612 Plus though. The second port is for high-speed communications only, and can only operate at 4800 baud and higher. However, it would have been very useful to have designed the second port to operate as low as 1200 baud which would have made the TNC more versatile in situations where the operator needs to operate a dual port TNC in a 1200/1200 baud configuration. The current design requires the owner to either purchase the 3rd port upgrade to operate an additional 1200 baud port, or purchase an additional 1200 baud TNC (such as the KPC-3) for additional 1200 baud port operation. I feel it would have been highly beneficial to incorporate 1200 baud operation in the second port. This appears to have been a deliberate ommission by Kantronics to force their customers into buying either the 3rd port upgrade (still $100 at the time of this writing), or an additional TNC.

As previously stated, I still believe the KPC-9612 Plus to be a high quality, great TNC. However, with the obvious ommission of 1200 baud operation on the 2nd port I rate this product at 4/5 from my previous 5/5 rating.

The bottom line here is that I see no need for manufacturers to deliberatlely cause thier customers to spend more money on their products for upgrades when the product in question could have easily been designed to accomodate this particular feature.

If you have a specific need for a low speed/high speed-only dual port TNC then I believe the KPC-9612 Plus is still a good buy, but don't buy it thinking you will be able to operate 1200/1200 baud operation because it simply isn't capable of this (unfortunately by design).

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2002 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Terrific !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned Kantronics TNC's eclusively over the years. I've had experience with the KPC-2, KPC-3, and now the KPC-9612 Plus. I had the opportunity to borrow one before buying mine, and I was just as impressed with it as I was the KPC-3's. I've only had my 9612 a couple of days now, but so far it appears to be a top-rate TNC in terms of operation, ease of use, and functionality. It looks almost identical to the KPC-3's I had with the exception of being slightly wider.

There's a slight amount of 9600 traffic where I live, but I wanted to be able to take advantage of it no matter how little there was. Having dual ports is a nice touch, and the ability to add a third port is great if you need it. Like most upgrades, adding the third port is pricey (around $100 at the time of this writing). But when you consider your getting what is essentially an additional TNC then it's a decent deal.

After I have further use of this TNC I'll write more on my findings, but at the moment it does everything I intended it to do and then some.

In my opinion it's a good buy and would recommend it to anyone who desires a reliable dual-port TNC.

KB5TBB Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2001 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Never has failed me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used MFJ TNCs mostly but about 8 years ago I switched to Kantronics and this 9612 was the best I've used since. My model has the 5.x firmware and seems to not have any bugs. Maybe they exist but I've not seen them. The unit runs nicely from any DC source or a 9V battery (make sure you turn LEDS OFF for that). I've only had one problem -- my TNC puts a nice birdie on 144.39 for any radio you use it with in APRS operations. This was fixed by shifting the clock with a 30pf capacitor. I've heard it's not terribly common but I have spoken with others that had the problem. Don't let it stop you from buying one, however, because the fix is easy and doesn't cause any harm to the unit.

SM0RWO Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2001 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the 9612 model (not the plus version) and I'm really pleased with it. 9k6 works really well and the gateway, pbbs and node is useful. The remote capability has helped me a few times and I don't really know what might be added to make this thing any better..wait a minute: memory. I bought the 32k version and I should have bought the bigger one.
The thing does what it's supposed to do and has been doing that for years, great.