Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns
Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95 to $89.95
Description: Design inspired by Jerry Sevick W2FMI with modern improvements from DX Engineering's R&D department.
Insulation characteristics exceed common Thermaleze® wire.
Unique high voltage compensating capacitors for unequalled SWR bandwidth
Typical insertion loss is less than 0.2 dB
Power handling of 3 kW continuous to 5 kW+ intermittent - depending on model
SO-239 connectors are silver plated with Teflon® insulation
All hardware is Stainless Steel. Studs are 1/4"

More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/brand/comtek/product-line/comtek-jerry-sevick-w2fmi-series-current-baluns?autoview=SKU

You can write your own review of the Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns.

N9TF Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Extremely happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been thinking of putting up an 80 meter OCF dipole. Thanks to the helpful reviews here, I purchased a 4113ET 4:1 current balun from DX engineering a few days ago. Just put up OCF dipole today, 45'X89' at 35' apex. SWR on 80/75 no higher than 2.5: at high end of band. 1:1 at 3.7, and 2:1 at the bottom. 40, 20, 17, 12, 10, and 6m 1.5:1 or lower. 15 meters 2.5:1 across entire band. Very happy camper! I will update review again after I have had more time to operate. The construction of this balun, and initial on air trials are second to none. The wires of each leg needed to be bent at some point to fit on my small lot. The 89' leg bends about 100 degrees to the north at about the 75' point and the 45' leg bends about 45 degrees to the west at about the 30' point. The antenna is generally broadside NE/SW. Looking forward to the winter DX season on 80!

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
great value for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am actually using two of the W2FMI Baluns on yagis I purchased from DX ENgineering, a TH3 JR and A CushCraft 12/17 meter antenna.

The Baluns are well constructed, heavy duty, and suffer no ill effects from a full KW into them.

DX Engineering has a great on line resource for selecting the correct balun, or you can pick up the phone and ask for help based on your antenna configuration

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
the best for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months

I am actually using two of the W2FMI Baluns on yagis I purchased from DX Engineering, a TH3 JR and A CushCraft 12/17 meter antenna.

DX Engineering also has a great on line resource for helping you choose the correct balun, or simply call them for great tech advice on the proper balun.

KD5OEI Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 01:23 Send this review to a friend
Tough as nails  Time owned: more than 12 months
Accidentally, the 2.5KW dual core Comtek 4:1 current balun was subjected to 700W of RF for almost an hour with a shorted transmission line connected to the terminals. It got so hot that the NEMA case's lid softened to where a fingerprint was painfully left in it, and the wire ties inside began to melt. Upon inspection, the balun core and its own wires, their insulation, and the rest were perfectly fine. Once the fault was cleared and the balun cooled off, it continued to work as expected. I suppose it might eventually have been ruined, but 1 hour is a very long time on a fault of that size at home. (BTW the Tucker TX didn't even notice it..) I am very satisfied with the product because it was not destroyed or damaged in any way and I will keep using it. It was worth every penny of the $80 I paid. The same RF source, at 1500W but without a load issue, had previously destroyed a balun in a big name "3KW tuner". A mighty fine 939. (Really a decent 'tuner' but not the best for LL-AM.) It was then that the Comtek balun was put in use. There has never been any complaint with the balun. I would recommend this balun for anyone using a high power AM transmitter or other demanding application and if they have a store-bought 'tuner' having an internal balun, that they use a Comtek balun externally instead of the one provided in the tuner. During a few short full power tests of the "1KW" transmitter, I have put 3600W PEP at 7100KC through the balun into a matched load with no ill effects. YMMV In any case, I'll never destroy it with the TX set to the appropriate ham level power. When I use AM, the TX is often keyed for 10 minutes at a time for those long-winded and 'old buzzard' session RTs and there has never been an issue.

W6EEP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2013 21:22 Send this review to a friend
High Efficiency - Easy Tuning  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 11130T 1:1 tuner version of this balun. Following the directions in W8JI's publication "Choosing the Correct Balun" (available from DX Engineering's website), I built a 110 foot 10-80 meter doublet out of a single piece of 16 gauge lamp cord as a proof of concept. With it up at 35 feet and 90 feet of feedline, I'm here to tell you that my signal was quite loud on 75 meters short skip. Even though this balun was sitting right on top of my radio, I had no problems with RF in the shack. Based on my results with the lamp cord version, I later purchased insulated antenna wire, 300 ohm ladder line and some gray Alpha Delta style insulators from DX Engineering to build the 220 foot 10-160 meter version of this antenna. Highly recommended and a good value.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2013 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for the job at hand  Time owned: more than 12 months
I, too, bought the 1:1 balun to transition from ladder line to a short run of coax for my 135-foot dipole. I mounted it on the wall outside, right next to one of the larger DX Engineering 4:1 baluns (an excellent device, too, though a bit pricey) that I had previously used for this purpose. Now, if the impedance is too low on the operating frequency with the 4:1, I can switch quickly to the 1:1. I find that with the Sevick the antenna tunes better 90% of the time as compared to the 4:1, which rarely gets used anymore.

Though I use no more than 600 watts, the Sevick seems solid and has been in use for more than two years with no signs of weather issues. The price is reasonable, too.

What more could I ask?

N5VU Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
As advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from DX Engineering, great service as always. Bought the mount to affix it to my new TH3-MK4 boom. All fit as it was suppose to.
Using a Ten Tec Centurion into the balun, it was happy with 1200 plus watts. It remained stable. I.e., the SWR didn't change after applying carrier for a while. Core saturation heating is well under control with this device. It's truly a QRO device.

WG5N Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Comtek Baluns - GREAT Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Jerry Sevick Series COM-BAL-11130ET Balun for use on one of my antenna projects. I had previously used a "cheaper" Balun with less than satisfactory results. The COM-BAL-11130ET resolved my problems and is performing flawlessly. The Balun appears to built from high quality products and to exacting standards. I recommend DX Engineering's Comtek Baluns.

VE2TH Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
4:1 & 1:1 comtek balun   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased twice times baluns, because I want to rebuilt my wire antennas, now the spring is upon us.-

First of all, it is a very useful, and a very good idea to put on DX Engineering web site the document
"HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT BALUN" it is very helpful to help amateurs to choose the right one. I love it.-

Now, these baluns are very well designed and made of high quality products, very sturdy, and most important, all the bolts nuts etc,
are stainless it is really built to last.

Another very useful thing I bought, is the BALUN MOUNTING BRACKETS KITS, what a wonderful idea, it is much more easier
to install and it does a real neat and solid job. especially a top my fold over mast.-

Just for fun I checked them on my RIG EXPERT model AA-54 antenna analyser,with the appropriate resistor as an antenna,
and those baluns are completly flat 1:1 on all bands, it is amazing.-It is the first time I see a Balun with such an uniformity all over the spectrum.

About the service, hats off, to the crew at DX-ENGINEERING, it is the best service I have got up to date.I t is fast, and most of all really well packed with precaution.-

Two times I ordered on sunday evening, and it arrived to my door on thursday. I live in Québec city Canada.

We will definitely buy again, for sure, as we are two sastified customers, and we have many other antennas projects in the future.-
73, Michel VE2TH
73/88 Georgette VE2RH
The OM/XYL TEAM :--)))

NY4D Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 06:09 Send this review to a friend
They get the job done  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the 4:1 Comtek just outside the shack to transition from RG-8 coax to 45 feet of ladder line feeding an 85 foot dipole. Even though this antenna is really a tad short for 80 meters, I am able to tune the entire 80 meter band and all ham bands through 10 meters with an older Ameritron ATR-15 tuner.

Can't fault anything about this balun. Hardware is robust. Internals are just as they should be. For me the buying choice for baluns is a tossup between the Comtek and the Balun Designs models. Both good products from good companies.

I run up to 500 watts into the balun and it does what it is supposed to do with no muss or fuss.