Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns
Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95 to $89.95
Description: Design inspired by Jerry Sevick W2FMI with modern improvements from DX Engineering's R&D department.
Insulation characteristics exceed common ThermalezeŽ wire.
Unique high voltage compensating capacitors for unequalled SWR bandwidth
Typical insertion loss is less than 0.2 dB
Power handling of 3 kW continuous to 5 kW+ intermittent - depending on model
SO-239 connectors are silver plated with TeflonŽ insulation
All hardware is Stainless Steel. Studs are 1/4"

More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/brand/comtek/product-line/comtek-jerry-sevick-w2fmi-series-current-baluns?autoview=SKU

You can write your own review of the Comtek W2FMI Jerry Sevick Series Baluns.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2012 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Baluns  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really cannot find anything to fault about these Baluns. I have purchased two one for an 80 meter loop, one for a doublet fed by ladder line.

Both have endured the weather here in La so far and have withstood a 1KW power input.

DX Engineering has a great price and selection, and their tech support page on Balun selection and application is a wealth of information, and helpful in making the correct choice, but you can pick up the phone and talk to the folks at DXE and receive help, also.

As someone mentioned previous, they aren't "glitzy", the Carlton electrical box they are housed in is utilitarian(but has a water resistant gasket), however the materials and workmanship are first class.

VY2DA Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2012 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent high quality product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently ordered a Comtek BAL-1130ET W2MFI design balun from DX Engineering. I was immediately impressed with the quality of this balun which has a rugged case employing a neroprene weather-proof seal and all stainless steel hardware with a silver plated SO-239 coax connector using teflon insulation. Internally the 1:1 balun uses a rugged ferrite core wound with teflon insulated 12 gauge wire capable of handling at least 3 kw. The balun has a high-voltage compensating capacitor which allows a higher SWR bandwidth on 80 meters, the band on which I am using this product. I have previously purchased other items from DX Engineering and have always found their products to be of top quality and design.

W7UP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Field Day Balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been experimenting with 80 meter inverted 'V' antennas for Field Day. This year I purchased a COM-BAL-11130T Comtek Balun - 1:1, 3 kW, 1.8 to 54 MHz, W2FMI Series, with Top Studs. The balun was used during Field Day with an SGC SG-231 coupler to feed a 4 wire inverted "V" with 450 ohm ladder line. I connected the RF output from the coupler to the Comtek balun using insulated wire and a PL-259. The ground side of the coupler was connected to a PL-259 mounting screw on the balun using 1/2" braid. The Comtek balun was used to balance the antenna. It was previously an unbalanced inverted 'V'. We were able to work Hawaii multiple times on 15 meters with this (NVIS) antenna/feed-line/balun/coupler configuration, and it provided excellent coverage on 40 meters.

AA2HA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Great balun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got around to making a "fan" dipole (lets not get into that debate) for 80, 40, 20, and 15 as a result of the 40 meter legs. I installed the center support and both ends with rope and pulleys so the antenna could be raised and lowered easily. First, I used the Jetstream balun and ran some tests. I lowered the antenna and replace the balun with the DX Engineering, re engineered Comtek balun. The difference was drastic. Received signals were stronger and I was able to tune a vast portion of band that wasn't viable with the Jetstream. On-air tests with several hams showed a better transmit signal as well (as much as 2 S units!) Not one to be easily persuaded due to changing band conditions, etc., I once again changed over to the Jetstream balun with the same results. The Comtek balun is now permanently mounted.
The Comtek balun is more efficient, with better broad band characteristics, and a look inside shows the quality and craftsmanship one would expect from the pros DX Engineering. Sure they were a few dollars more (less than 20 bucks) but the results speak for themselves.
I used to one of those guys that said "A balun is a balun" or "Just make your own". No three words are quite as humbling as I was wrong, but am glad to profess them after using this balun.

AA2HA Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my Comtek baluns, a 1:1 and a 4:1, from DX engineering. They shipped the same day and the baluns were here in a few days. Luckily we had a few nice days and I was able to put up a new dipole. I used the 4:1 for my first attempt at an OCF dipole. One leg is 88' the other is 190'. I had previously used a Jetstream 4:1 balun and wasn't impressed with the antenna. I replaced it with a Comtek 4:1 and the difference was drastic to say the least! This balun is 2-3 S units higher in receive and my internal tuner is now able to tune every amateur band (except 30 meters). I was only able to use the internal tuner for 2 bands with the old balun. It appears well made and and seems to handle a KW with no problem. I'll report on the 1:1 when I get my fan dipole up. It may not be the nicer DX engineering balun, but for $50 and $60 bucks, I couldn't be more pleased.

N6WK Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 15:10 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a Comtek Balun from DX Engineering. This thing is Built to Last. Great Quality and a great Price. DX Engineering is a great place to find good buys. I also recommend their Aluminum tubing. I bought 60 feet of it and it slides together nice! Perfect for a push up mast.

KL7BX Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2011 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Product, to be sure!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought a couple different ComTek Baluns, so I could build-up some HF wire antennas. Have tried several other "cheapie" inline coaxial baluns, with some fair to poor results, so I invested a bit more money into the ComTek line after doing some online research & reading of numerous reviews. I am THOROUGHLY impressed with not only the quality construction, but also the EFFECTIVENESS and USABILITY of the ComTek Baluns. I bought a 1:1 Balun and built-up a 9-band "spider" dipole to cover 80 meters thru 6 meters (excluding 60 mtrs). Was able to EASILY trim/tune the elements for resonance on all 9 bands, INCLUDING 6 meters. SWR at resonance averages between 1.3:1 to 1.4:1, with a few bands absolutely FLAT at 1:1! I can actually HEAR signals now, as compared to before! Have only had a few months of usage so far, so we'll see how well it handles sub-freezing climate thru the South Central Alaskan winter. Highly recommend this product. Will be building a large HF LOOP antenna with the 4:1 Balun that's still in the box! Can't wait to see how well IT works! Overall VERY MUCH worth the price!

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Very High Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As the previous reviews stated, the DX Engineering Comtek series baluns/ununs are quality products. I needed a 1:1 unun for a ladderline to coax transition and did not have the parts on hand to build one. There are several high quality suppliers out there; Balun Designs is certainly a top contender, and I own several from that company. Upon opening the Comtek unit, I was impressed by the quality of the parts and the careful attention to construction detail. You can't go wrong with the Comtek (or Balun Designs). If you are interested in quality and durability stay away from the other suppliers, or build it yourself.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

W3PO Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 02:33 Send this review to a friend
good quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a 1:1 balun and thought I would build it, then read the DX engineering advert on their Comtek baluns and decided to give one a try.
As the previous post I opened it upon reception to check the construction quality and was pleased with what I saw.
Obviously it is performing as advertised.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 15:51 Send this review to a friend
"Second Best" Built Balun I've Seen, but for the money...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered one of these baluns from DX Engineering, and while it is not as nice inside as the $100+ one with the formed aluminum case and glass insulators that DX Engineering sells under their own name, for half the price is is great!

The first thing I did when I received it was take it apart to look at the quality, as I have been burned by this from other suppliers. First rate! double teflon insulation used, so no chance of shorting out. All stainless hardware in a NEMA rated box, and even weather sealing on the SO-239 connector.

Quality control sticker inside signed by the guy that built it, and the QA manager.

There are several people selling these toroidal baluns in the 4 X 4 gray NEMA boxes, but this one is the best built I've seen.