Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs Max Choking 1:1 Isolation Balun 1 -54MHz 5kw Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs Max Choking 1:1 Isolation Balun 1 -54MHz 5kw
Balun Designs Max Choking 1:1 Isolation Balun 1 -54MHz 5kw Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$79.95
Description: This balun is for those of you with tough RFI, SWR and/or RF in shack problems. Building on the original 1:1 design by Dr. Jerry Sevick, this balun has two (2) stacked cores to maximize choking impedance on HF bands from 1- 54MHz. By utilizing Mil-Spec coax, the SWR, Transformation and power handling are excellent while providing a choking impedance that exceeds 10,000 ohms. Even on 80m the choking impedance is over 3,500 ohms.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com/

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs Max Choking 1:1 Isolation Balun 1 -54MHz 5kw.

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2017 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Superb, the very best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just wanted to say how excellent Bob's balun designs are. I have purchased two from him and I have been impressed with their quality and his follow up service and advice.

F5LTB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great design and efficiency   Time owned: more than 12 months
Long story with Bob, starting when I was 9Q1TB (2003-2008), then A65BI (2009-2012) until my retirement last 2012. I have used numerous baluns for my Ham activity, even a special one for professional use in order to replace the one in a log-per antenna. Nothing more to say that Balun designs never failed because the design is top of the art, no more no less.
Bob knows about its products and give always the right advice when we faced some problems.
Actually I'm using an 4:1, 4115 model at the feed point of my 80m loop and when I suspected a bit of RFI with high power, I added an choke 1:1, 1116 model at the output of my home brew T-tuner. No more RFI at all on 80m when tested with my Dressler amp. at full power.
Same thing with my double extended zepp calculated for 10m, fed with 450-Ohms open wire, where I added an choke 1:1, 1115 model between the switch and the symmetrical tuner assigned to this antenna, and nothing has been noticed between 20m to 10m.
When you will need a balun, checked on the Balun design website, sure you'll find the right one for your application. If not, Bob will find the solution with you. Highly recommended
Philippe, F5LTB

N2WQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2016 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Lowered my RX noise floor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I already have a very low noise floor in rural VE3, but have installed Balun Design baluns on all of my feed lines as well as to feed my wire antennas. The balun does make a difference in lowering the noise and in some instances flattens/lowers the SWR of my wire antennas.

It is great working with Bob as well. He answers thoughtfully and quickly all emails.

Highly recommended.

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Stopped RFI problems like magic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a BalunDesigns 1116d between my Palstar HF AUTO antenna tuner and coax transmission line in the shack and every trace of RFI in the house has suddenly disappeared. Previously, when running at legal power limit I had been getting interference on the house telephones, tripping of the smoke detectors, and an occasional complaint from a next door neighbor. The 1116d stopped all that. To my surprise the 1116d also improved (lowered) my SWR a bit on most bands a and broadened out the SWR curves. Your mileage may vary but I for one am a happy camper now. Thanks Bob at BalunDesigns.

K2KGF Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2016 13:06 Send this review to a friend
greatest gadget since the invention of the wheel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I wasn't a believer in magic before I am one now. On the advice of friends I bought a model 1116 and placed it at the feedline in the shack. I never thought that I had RFI issues but reasoned that a balun would do no harm. Well, my wife no longer complains that she can't get on the internet when I'm on the air and, the CO detector no longer chirps!! I'm thinking of getting another to install at the dipole feedpoint -- who knows what'll happen next. Oh, and I see a slight reduction in ambient noise on 80 and 40.

WA3HVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2016 15:15 Send this review to a friend
A Miracle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After years of having major rfi on 80 meters QRO which set off alarm system, etc., I installed an 1116d at the shack end of the coax of my 80 meter OCF dipole. Now I can run full output from my amplifier with no rfi whatsoever. This product is absolutely a miracle to me. The current balun at the feed point of the antenna could not protect me from the rfi, so a second balun in the shack did the trick for me. Wish I got the 1116d much sooner.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2015 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had common mode current entering the shack through the coax on 80M (1/4-wave end-fed antenna.)

Installed the 1116 at the end of my coax in the shack - it did the trick and eliminated the stray RF.

For my antenna, a long coax run acts as a counterpoise (better than nothing at all on a tiny lot), so I did not want to stop the coax from radiating by installing the choke at the antenna side.

In my particular case, I did not notice a reduction in receiver noise.

Great telephone support in determining where to install the choke and whether it would solve my problem.

KJ7CY Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Eliminated my RFI issue!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased a used Ten Tec Orion and that is when the RF in the shack began to be a real problem. The radio's cpu would do strange things and sometime freeze up. I also had RF feedback into the external speaker and when adjusting my Ameritron ATR-15 tuner the needle would jump all around making it difficult to set. It was a problem no matter what antenna or band I was using and no matter what the rf power output was. I run up to 1200 watts using a Heathkit SB-221 amplifier. I contacted Bob at Balun Designs and he recomended that I insert the 1115du max choking 1:1 Isolation Balun between the antenna switch and antenna tuner. I made the purchase and it arrived within a week of ordering it. That is pretty quick since he hand builds them as orders come in and it was shipped from Texas to Oregon. The balun is very well built and is of the highest quality and is rated at 5kw. I inserted it as Bob had recomended and the RF feedback is totally gone. The radio and tuner now perform like they should with no more cpu freeze ups and the tuner's needle is as smooth as can be during the tuning process. And I no longer have RF feedback in the external speaker. This is the second balun that I have purchased from Bob. I also have a 1115t 1:1 Isolation balun being used at the end of a ladder line fed Alpha Delta DX-DD for about 3 years now. It has always worked great with no problems. I am considering buying another 1115du and inserting it at the feedpoint of my 10 meter vertical to insure that the coax does not radiate any rf along the feedline. I highly recommend the baluns from Balun Designs. Bob's advice has always been helpful when ever I have had a balun question.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Nicely Done  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used Balun Designs before for portable use. I was changing antennas here at the QTH, and had some issues with RFI. I orginally ordered the 1116, but Bob recommended the 1115 once he understood the problem and his advice was excellent. These are well made and customer service is second to none. 73, John, K0FTC

W6IZT Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Products  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bob builds excellent products. I use a number of his products including baluns for my yagis, and for my tuner. These products peform as advestised and after several years of use I have not had a single failure or problem with over heating.

Balun Designs is also a sponsor for the HK0NA DXpedition to Malpelo in January 2012. Without vendor support, these trips would not be possible.

Gregg