Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Timewave DSP-59+ Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave DSP-59+
Timewave DSP-59+ Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $249.99
Description: The DSP-59+ uses digital signal processing technology to provide optimum filters for random noise reduction, heterodyne elimination, highpass filtering, lowpass filtering, and bandpass filtering.
More info: http://www.timewave.com/dsp59p.html

You can write your own review of the Timewave DSP-59+.

K7EXJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2015 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for CW & Digital  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two audio filters. A Datong FL-3 and a Timewave-DSP59+. I have the FL-3 on my Elecraft K2 and the Timewave on my older Yaesu FT767GX. The Yaesu is my digital rig and the K2 is my CW rig.

Although the Timewave is a decent filter for CW, I think that the FL-3 is slightly better (a "peak" function helps). But the Timewave, with its adjustable bandwidth, really helps digital.

In reality they would be interchangeable. But I simply chose them to be with one or the other radio based on my personal preferences and perceived best use. Audio filters do have their place; especially on CW. Both filters can pull a CW signal out of the noise level but it often takes a bit of tweaking.

The automatic noise reduction of the Timewave is excellent. Probably not as good as IF DSP but since that's not available on my Yaesu (and expensive on the K2) I'll just live happily with the Timewave.

I don't think you can go wrong with the DSP-59+; especially if you like CW and/or digital. I have not tried it with SSB however.

KJ6SVX Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2012 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up a DSP-59+ at a ham swap yesterday and , using the recommended, initial SSB settings, it's dramatically reduced my random noise level on my FT-840 and I'm hearing signals I never heard before. Knowing nothing about it, I bought it on a hopeful whim and was prepared to be disappointed, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

It was priced at $50 but I can't remember if I bargained it down or not so I'm not sure what I paid. It certainly was a lot cheaper than the IC-756 ProII that was for sale on a nearby table.

WX6V Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Filter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used DSP-59+ a few months ago, primarily to provide a narrow bandpass filter for my IC-765 on RTTY. The 765's built-in 500 hz filter is too wide for RTTY contesting. I tested the 59+ out in the CQWW RTTY contest and it came through with flying colors. I just run the output of the filter directly into the line input of my sound card. Lately, I have been using it for weak signal DX work. I compete in CQ's DX Marathon every year, so working signals at or below the noise level is a common event. This filter really enhances signals on all modes and makes them readable. I've already worked four rare DX stations on cw and ssb that were unreadable without the filter. I've seen reviews here criticizing the 59+'s performance on SSB, but I have found it to be very helpful there too. I'm just following the manufacturer's instructions and it works great with my older radio (90's vintage)that does not have any DSP features. Like most new things, it takes time and patience to figure out what settings work best. I've taken some time to play around with it and am very pleased!

K7FEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2009 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Company!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a "like new, fully functional" DSP-59+ on the Eham classifieds. It looked good upon arrival but was dead as a doornail. grrrrrrr

I called Timewave to ask about getting the unit repaired. What I got was incredible service from a man named Kevin. He had me round up some tools and a meter as he waited. Then he had me open the unit and start reading voltages at various points. On that first call, he diagnosed a bad voltage regulator.

So I thanked him and ran off to the local Radio Shack. They had what I was looking for. Came home, installed it and the 59+ lit up like a Christmas tree. Worked fine except the gain control was very scratchy when turned. I could live with it.

I called back to thank Kevin and Timewave for the stupendous support and mentioned the Gain control problem. Well the support continued. They sold me an exact replacement for an extremely reasonable price.

Bottom line. If I'm ever in the market for something and Timewave is one possible vendor, they have my business. PERIOD

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2007 12:14 Send this review to a friend
helpful  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had mine for more than 5 years

wish i had more than one
so i did not half to move it between radios

hooked to a modern first rate rec/xcever
it won't realy help much

hooked to a older receiver or transceiver
it realy makes a diffrence

also very helpfull when used
with a receiver or xceiver that only
has a ssb filter

don't know how well it works on fone

find it
a most usefull tool for cw work

right now its hooked to my
Ten Tec 509 Argonaut

dit dit Mac

KC0NPF Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2005 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Seems to do what it's intended to do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm still suffereing from 'little kid on christmas morning' syndrom, so my comments should be weighted as such.

I bought this unit used yesterday at a hamfest, mostly i wanted to see what DSP could do for the Temtec Omni-D. I have to say that it does help a little on SSB, but only under certain circumstances. A Hiel DX mic (the HC-4 i think) comes through REALLY well on the DSP engine, but if the signal was slightly bass heavy or 'muddy' to begin with, don't even bother. The filtering is very sharp but it does produce some of the same 'howel' that the omni's built in 500hz cw filter does. I think it's mostly that my ears are extremely sensitive to about 1.8-2.1khz, but it is noticeably worse with the DSP unit inline. The noise reduction DOES work on SSB, but if you're looking for 'quality' audio, don't bother. If, however, you just want to hear what the heck he's saying, try a couple filter combinations, and then hit the noise reduction button. Combined with the rig's internal filters and an external AMECO PT-2 RF preamp I have quite the selection of stuff to do on recieve before i decide i can't copy the guy.

for CW it's a dream, i don't work ANY cw, but i took a listen down there just in case today.. so there was a station that was in the noise and i couldn't hear him 80% of the time... I put the unit in bandpass mode, cut in the 500hz filter on the omni, and 'spot' tuned the station as best i could to the center of both filters. It is really nice to have a tuning tone built right in. Then i cut the filter width to 25hz. BING, armchair copy, without the noise reduction engaged.
oh, and NO QRM whatsoever, I tried to find 2 stations that were really really close but i couldn't, so I did what i could with 2 that were 100hz appart... armchair copy on whichever one i chose.

PSK, just about as hot as CW, you have to be careful how much noise reduction you try to do though, it garbles (warbles) the signal somewhat.
Try the 50hz wide bandpass, it's unbelievable how much it helps, a station that was 30% copy became solid copy with the AGC and 50hz filter function(s). (as well as the 500hz cw filter on the omni)

You do have to drive the input quite hard, my omni has a really hot audio out, but i still have to jack up the volume to uncomfortable levels on the input side in order to get the 'normal' LED blinking. Use an attenuator if you intend to hook headphones to this thing, else it'll juss about kill ya. I should note that the more filtering you do, the higher you have to run the 'gain' control on the front of the unit, as would be expected on a crystal filter or similar device. Don't hit the 'bypass' switch if you're copying a really weak CW sig with the 25hz filter and noise reduction... OW!

I can only give it a 4 because of the unnaturally harsh tone with the processor in on SSB. For a CW or data only guy, you HAVE to try it, the 25hz filter is amazing, as well as 50 hz for PSK. Don't bump the tuning knob though, the station that was armchair copy a second ago is suddenly completely gone.

haven't tried the RTTY 'remodulator' yet, but i intend to some time here.

73 de KC0NPF

PS: i'll follow up in a few months when i've had time to try out as much as possible

NK8A Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2004 17:39 Send this review to a friend
great cw filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
ihave owned a dsp59+ for a bout 3 years. i mainly work cw and the 59+ has helped me many times pull out weak signals. i have not tried the 59+ on ssb. the 59+ works better than the 500hz filter that i had in my ts 530 or for that matter any type of audio filter i have tried.

=

VA3UT Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2003 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Fine on CW but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this DSP on my TS-830S and works very well on CW, either with or without CW filter on 830. However, the performance on SSB is not so good. It doesn't seem to improve the readability and intelligibility on SSB and the hollow sound makes it even harder to understand. I usually understand better without, and I keep it that way on SSB.
On CW, it works well and helps me pull out weak signals.
I will keep this DSP in my shack and use it as I do now unless there is a better one on SSB.

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2002 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Shack Addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Timewave DSP-59+ for about 4 years and found it to do a great job in getting rid of the power line noise I used to experience in my old QTH. It also does a great job in getting rid of the persistant tuner upers that love to tune up right on your freq. I must say I have not tried it on any digital modes yet. If you are using an older rig this will bring you right up to speed with the newer rigs.

DL7AOH Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2001 16:40 Send this review to a friend
PTT Input required  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a used DSP-59+ some weeks ago. It works great and I will never miss it.
During transmission I heard some background noise in the loudspeaker which sounded like HF in the Audio Input. It is actually caused by the high amplification of the AGC (30 dB). Connecting the PTT Input of the DSP to the SEND output of my IC 735 cured the problem completely.
Performance of the DSP and intelligibility of speech is significantly enhanced by cutting the very low frequencies BEFORE they reach the DSP, for example by using the Pass Band Tuning (PBT). It seems that low frequencies are a little over-weighted by the DSP algorithm.

Good luck, 73