Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Timewave DSP-59+ Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave DSP-59+
Timewave DSP-59+ Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $249.99
Description: The DSP-59+ uses digital signal processing technology to provide optimum filters for random noise reduction, heterodyne elimination, highpass filtering, lowpass filtering, and bandpass filtering.
More info: http://www.timewave.com/dsp59p.html

You can write your own review of the Timewave DSP-59+.

N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2001 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Good CW Filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a DSP in the Yaesu FT-100 and the FT-920 transceivers. I will detail as well as possible the DSP--59+ as compared to the Yaesu built-in units. I prefer the FT-100D variable bandpass slightly over the FT-920. I liked the FT-100D with the selectable bandpass as displayed in frequency. The FT-920 was simply two variable knobs on the front panel. I believe the FT-100D was slightly superior. The notch filter in the FT-920 was far superior to the FT-100D. The FT-920 removed the hetrodynes as the FT-100D only reduced the hetrodynes. The DSP-59+ also removed the hetrodynes. The DSP-59+ is as good or better as a CW filter as compared to the Yaesu DSP units. I find the DSP-59+ to be easier to use with removing two CW signals almost on top of one another. However, the Yaesu DSP units sounded more natural which rates about 'who cares' with me. The SSB voice with noise reduction is about equal with all three, however the Yaesu DSP units sounded more natural. I can not say the DSP-59+ has a 'starwars sound' like the early Kenwood TS-570 radios, however, the Yaesu DSP units seem to remove more lower frequency noise and keep the higher frequencies more 'intact' than the DSP-59+. I prefer this, you may not. I compared the three DSP devices without changing the DSP-59+ internal settings. One fact of all the DSP units is if a SSB voice signal in deep within the band noise, you can not process something from nothing. The DSP-59+ on a CW signal did give the impression you could get something from nothing as well as the Yaesu units. I also tried the DSP-59+ with the AGC on and off and I can tell you I would not want a DSP without this feature! As for value, the CW operator will like the DSP-59+ and love it if the transceiver is less than the best. The CW performance is a five (5). As for SSB voice, I rate the DSP-59+ a three (3) with the Yaesu DSP units on voice a three and a half (3.5). Timewave offers software upgrades as I have version 3.1. Perhaps the latest software will excell with the DSP-59+ getting a better rating than the Yaesu DSP units on SSB voice. I suspect better and faster DSP processing in the future will give the same impression on SSB voice as CW performance.

DS1MRF Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2000 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Give life to TS440  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use DSP59+ with Kenwood's old rig - about ten years - TS440. Old TS440 meets good buddy that is DSP59+ because TS440 recieved audio quality increase...I hear the fine audio. Give life to TS440. this couple like as TS570. goooooooood DX. c ya~ 73

K3SUI Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2000 11:24 Send this review to a friend
599ZX at lower cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a 59+ for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. I have used the more expensive ZX at contest sites and friends houses and find that the 59+ performs about the same ... except there is less automation. If you want a high quality DSP unit at a most reasonable price ... go with the 59+