Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Steppir Dream Beam 11 Help

Reviews Summary for Steppir Dream Beam 11
Steppir Dream Beam 11 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2195.00
Description: DB11 Yagi, 18.5 ft element length, 11 ft boom, 10.8 ft turning radius, 61 lb, 5.9 sq ft wind load; 2 active elements on 20m; 3 active elements on 17, 15, 12, 10, 6m; 6.41-8.76 dBi gain; 19.53-24.55 F/R.
More info: http://www.steppir.com

You can write your own review of the Steppir Dream Beam 11.

G7EMK Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2011 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Wow.What Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well where do I start! I placed my order at the end of December 2010 with Vine Antennas. I was a little twichy to say the least, as this was the biggest investment I have made on an antenna in all my years in Ham radio. My God was it worth every penny. It arrived in March and was one of only 3 exported by SteppIR to Europe. Everything was well packages, and the instructions were very clear. The construction is like no antenna I have ever built before, as it really is to commercial grade standard. It took me three days to build and wire. The wiring is something you really have to be careful with and pay great attention to, as there are 16 coloured wires to deal with. I ran a pre test at ground level and all was well. It was now time to raise the DB11 on to the tower and give it a whirl. Well to say I was amazed is an under statement. I switched the radio on to 20m and powered up the DB11 to self tune. I could not believe it. There was a station calling from Indonesia and giving me 40db over. I thought I'll call him on 10w QRP for a laugh. To my amazement he came straight back to me from the pile up saying I was giving him 5/7. Wow now that is something for a first contact on a new antenna. In the first week I have worked all over on low power gaining 5/9 reports on 17m in Japan on 50W, and they were cuing up for me. Now that's a first. As they say " You gets what you pay for in this life" and that is certainly true. The logic behind paying 3000+ on a radio and using a coat hanger for an antenna I just do not get it. The metal in the air is just if not more important. The build quality and performance completely out weighs the cost. I'm off now to me more amazed by this medium sized antenna. You will not be dissapointed, and will soon forget the price tag.

KB8O Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2011 15:05 Send this review to a friend
More then expected !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered and received the antenna about 5 weeks later in a very well packaged box . Everything was in perfect condition , and I could tell right away this product was commercial grade stuff . The build does take time , I assembled the boom , motor , and switch inside the house then moved it outside to assemble the elements . Everything SteppIR supplies in the hardware is more then enough ( you end up with extra things) and it is all labeled so that you can locate things easily .All the ground test went as planned with no issues . I didn't get the cable connection box and with a little time and following the diagram it was very easy to wire . The hardest part of the project was lifting the antenna into place as I have a very small lot and restrictions to access the tower on all sides . You can see a picture of the antenna if you search QRZ.com under my call . I still have the Wire antenna up that I used to use , and stations that are S-9 on the beam ... I don't even hear on the wire . The 180* and BI direction function save a lot of rotor time and work very well . It's hard to believe how well this antenna performs for it's size ... If I had the money again (I'm broke) I would buy this antenna in a heart beat !

VK3YP Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2011 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Build Quality and Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DB-11 came packaged very well and all the assembly hardware (bolts etc.) are individually labeled and also spare bolts and nuts are included.
The build quality is excellent for all the components. The DB-11 is very easy to assemble but slightly time consuming as you need to measure everything carefully etc.
The connector box option is a must have as it makes the wiring very simple and quick. The fitting of the fiberglass element tubes along with the sweep tubes onto the EHU's was probably the easiest assembly step.
All the EHU tests and voltage tests passed first time with no problems.
The antenna is approx. 28KG but was easy to lift onto my tower which was in the tilt over position.
The performance for the antenna size is remarkable (the fiberglass element tubes are 2.5 meters long without the sweep tubes). As soon as we got the DB-11 up we worked a couple of South African ZS stations 5/9 on 10 meters using 100 watts barefoot from my Kenwood TS-480SAT. The Steppir SDA-100 controller works very well and is easy to use both in manual tune and auto-track mode. Steppir are also planning to release a 40M dipole kit which is similar in design to the 80M dipole kit for the DB-36.