Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV3R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng UV3R
Baofeng UV3R Reviews: 127 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $55
Description: Tiny dual band radio like the Yaesu VX3R.
More info: http://www.verotelecom.com

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV3R.

ZS1DEA Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2014 02:59 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is the UV-3R+,which came with a UV5 second hand, so no extra's. I primarily use this radio for work purposes, as I am a seaman. Not long after I had it, the Radio/Light button had failed. Operation of either is intermittent, when fortunate to access LED or Radio stations.
I have not secured a programming cable for it yet, thus all inputs, are manual.
To use the ham frequencies with offsets is a breeze, however I do not use the memory banks. Menu is straight forward, and easy to manipulate- I am a new ham!
From the work side-Yes the on/off button does get activated, but then this radio was not built for industrial use. I carry this radio in my top right pocket of my overall, with a thin leather string around my neck. On board the temp is 50C + in engine room and 30C+ outside, and I am covered in sweat 90% of the time. Thus, this little radio is constantly damp or wet. I have had 3Bar of water jet pressure hitting me on the radio when a pipe had burst, and this unit is still going strong.
The only downfall is the discoloration on the battery contact terminals for the charger, on the battery side.
My battery went open circuit 7 days ago, but I broke open the holder and re-soldered the loose terminal.(most solder joints seemed poor inside the batt case)
Sensitivity- As a newcomer, I do not know much about this. However, I noticed both the 3 and the 5, has radio interference, when I used my motor vehicle alarm button, or the remote gate switch for home.Other spurios interferances are also prevalent, when mobile.
Selectivity- I found that if I am say 25k down from a nearby frequency, the radio has picked up the transmission.
This I found out as I could not be heard by the other party, who was standing on the opposite wall/bulkhead, and using a different channel.(25K up)
Depressing the Alarm button sounds, the alarm on the active channel, which is a feature for me, as I am often working on my own down in the holds, or in secluded spaces, or on elevated heights.
Overall-This is the radio I feel the least for, due to the relatively good purchase price, and therefore, it goes places the ICF60/E-90/IC F3GS/Kenwood T7FE, does not go.I will gladly purchase two more when given the opportunity. As a first ham radio, it is not the best choice, but heck at R500 ZAR (+-$48 USD)what a pleasure.
This radio has survived 6 months sea life-3 months along the west coast of Africa and 3 months in the HRA to Karachi.
It is constantly in use when home, on the UHF band for citizen's Neighbourhood watch, and dual watch on 144Mhz
For my application, flying around the globe, this is a very small,light weight, versatile radio, that is able to use our UHF work frequencies, and the VHF Maritime bands. The charging can be done from 220V 50/60HZ Mains, or from USB.
This radio has exceeded all expectations.
Lastly, I call this connectivity. In situations where my F60 had struggled to get signals out, I have had no hassles with getting comms accross from the bottom of hold 1,(the foremost hold of the vessel) or even from underneath the main engine. Playing with a ground plane by attaching a wire lug under the antenna, was shelved, as it seemed unnecessary.
For what this radio is, I am impressed.
I give it a 4, as I am surprised at the tenacity.

KD4SBY Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2014 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Squelch stopped working after a while  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio to replace my trusty 2AT, which I had for 20 years (and still have). After learning how to use the menus, it worked fine and I put it away, using it occasionally on a monthly net. Then, at one time I wanted to use it, and the squelch would not work any more. It would not break it, regardless how strong the signal was, and what the setting was. Figuring it must be me, I just did not know how to adjust it,I asked around for help, but nobody could get the squelch to work correctly anymore. Since I did not pay very much for it, I just junked it, and bought a new 5R. Hope I have more luck with this one.

AB7VJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2014 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this little radio as a backup for my Icom W32a. For the price, it does just fine. Granted, the stock antenna is crap, so I bought an upgrade. For the lighter ham needs, such as hamfests and just chatting with local hams, it works great.

I wouldn't recommend it for emergency nets and such, it just doesn't have enough power to do the job. That and its kind of a pain to program.

KE5LZL Rating: 3/5 Jan 4, 2014 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Squelch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I tested it yesterday and today without external antenna on roof.. by using rubber duck antenna that is supplied...On 2m squelch doesn't open up even a 1 setting .. 70cm and emergency bands come in but not 2m... So I tested it in Santa FE which is closer to megalink repeater and squelch opens fine.. These are great for close contact unless you hook up an external yagi or mag mount. As for serious contacts one needs a reputable handheld to make contacts. I ordered a longer 2m/70cm antenna for my wouxun and it fits the baofeng which gives it better reception.

KE5LZL Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got it yesterday December 30. This unit is great for a lite quick take along...
I hooked it up to the mag mount on roof of trailer and tested it.. from San Juan Pueblo Reservation in NM to Santa FE Pajarito Repeater 25 miles away on SFARC NET meeting .. it was Full quieting.. Then I tried it on the MEGALINK SANDIA MNTS in Albuquerque 50 miles away.. Full quieting..
It is just a basic take along .. Great for just tossing into shirt pocket or hiking with another Ham... I have a Yaesu FT-60r and a wouxun as well.
I will continue to test this little unit and haven't had any problems yet... and when I do, I will post them.. Like I say it is a neat little work horse. 73

VE4TTH Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2013 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Best for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio almost 2 years, and have found it to be very capable! If you are looking for a very small and inexpensive dual band radio, you will not go wrong.

1) Easy to program
2) Battery life is exceptional (48 hrs)
3) Very compact size.
4) 2.2 watts output (Bird Meter tested) **When battery is full!
5) Rapid battery changes
6) Considered disposable, so no worries in harsh environments.
7) Very acceptable audio for both TX and RX.
8) Cheap!!

Things to watch out for!

1) Vampires! Leaving the battery in will discharge the battery in 90 days, it has a vampire inside. So remove the battery when storing and your battery will be full when you need it.
2) Dummy Load for an antenna. Like all HT's the supplied antenna is nothing more than a glorified dummy load. Buy the long whip (SMA-24) it is a bit long, but very narrow and flexible. You will not regret it.
3) Careful when tuning, they come mostly wide open, and you can inadvertently tune to a frequency that is out of the ham bands.
4) No keys, so if you need to send DTMF tones other than a tone to unlock a repeater, your out of luck. This is a very basic grab n go radio that if you are a member or ARES and need a radio for a go kit, but do not want to keep a $500.00 HT radio in your vehicle, just in case it may get stolen. This is the radio for you!

Lets face it, for about $55.00 including shipping, and that's with a second battery and free external mic/speaker. You just can't go wrong!

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT FOR THE PRICE..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent for the price ..I,m thinking it would be an excellent deal at triple the price I paid.(29.99),,works as it says..Programming a bit complicated if you don't read the manual but I found some sites on the net that helped what I couldn't get from the manual..Nice solid little Radio..

KI4VLW Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2013 14:09 Send this review to a friend
It works better than I thought  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A Ham buddy asked me if I could program his radio for him and I liked the radio so I took a chance and I bought one off Amazon for $30 and also got an after market antenna similar to the MFJ-1715 for the radio. For me it was easy to program by hand and at first I thought I wasted my money, but this weekend our club had a special event and I used it for that since all we needed was HT's on simplex for an area of 1/2 mile by a 1/4 mile. The radio worked great for this, never got hot, and after all day of use I only used 1/3 of battery power. Also, my house is about 3 miles from where the event was at and I had left my 2M base radio on the same simplex frequency we were using for the event. My wife later told me that she could hear me every time I used my radio to transmit, plus I live in the mountains of WNC and there were two mountains between me and the house. For short range comm's this radio works for me plus it being very small make it easy to carry.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2013 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Quite Happy With Mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Mk II UV-3R for $25 from a friend that bought 2 of them new for $50.

In the time I've owned it, I have compared my experiences to what I have read about in some of these reviews. There are two camps of people: They Love the Baofeng or They Hate the Baofeng. I love this radio. It is more sensitive on 440 MHz than the FT-817ND that I used to own, it has a good feel to it, the inclusion of the FM broadcast band is a plus (I can listen to the 80's station in Toronto that I can just about hear with my "stereo" in my living room), and the fact that it's a true SDR is amazing. The UV3R website has links that allow you to flash the chipset to open the radio up even more. I flashed mine on the second day that I owned it, so, my UV-3R ALSO has 220 MHz. Power output is around 20 mW...but so what?! It's ULTRA cool, and at a hamfest or with locals, 220 MHz is almost like a "private" band.

The programming software, be it CHIRP or the UV-X4 v 1.11 suite really opens up what this radio can do. If you program it by hand, which isn't as hard as some of the whiners on here say it is, you miss out on the ability to use this radio in "satellite mode"...440 MHz RX and 145 MHz TX. (I have made a couple of QSOs so far via SO-50, so I know it can do it) The software also allows you to set things like the Priority Channel and Dual Watch. You can even set up different profiles with the software to load other databases....for instance...if you were to travel you could have a file for each major city you'd be in.

There have been reviews that have said that the radio quit working or the buttons didn't work after a certain amount of time...SDR=Computer. If the computer locks up, we have known since the late 1980's/early 1990's to REBOOT. I haven't seen that "problem" with mine, but being a technician for a living, if I were to see it, I'd know better.

The antenna that comes with the Mk II is OK...there are better out there, I'm sure. But what I did with mine is to go to the local Radio Shack to get an SMA-to-SMA coupler and the SMA-to-BNC pigtail. This lash-up lets me use the Baofeng with my antenna that's outside of my apartment.

I have used this radio in Midtown Manhattan, and it is a bit squeamish in the presence of "big city intermod", but even my 1985 Icom micro2AT is as well.

Some minor little "issues" such as mushy buttons (the rubber squeaks against the plastic...easily "fixed with a toothpick's amount of mineral oil) or lousy battery life (yes...the radio stays "hot" even when off...it's an SDR...you can even turn the LED flashlight on when the radio is off) are not problems, but possibly a user's unrealistic expectations.

One review on here even mentioned the "unknown F/A key". REALLY?! It's in the book in 3 places! FUNCTION=F...ALARM=A.

As a technician, I deal with this professionally, and have to CONSTANTLY remind my customers to RTFM...READ THE F**KING MANUAL. If there is something YOU don't understand, Google it. Ask around. Ask another user. Don't dismiss the item as junk, because in the end, it makes YOU (the "befuddled" user) look like an ass.

This radio is an incredible bargain at $25-50...or even more. I have to really scrutinize the negative reviews made by some...as I wonder if they aren't making mistakes or performing some other "user error". That's not to say that ANYTHING is perfect...but for a radio at this price point, and for what it can do, I am pleased.

AA9CA Rating: 0/5 Jul 25, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
waste of time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's not a value if it doesn't work!
This is already in my ham radio parts box.