Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | BX-184 kit Help

Reviews Summary for BX-184 kit
BX-184 kit Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$59
Description: A Voice Keyer kit that fits inside a Yaesu MH-31 mic case.
More info: http://www.dh8bqa.de/ssp-mh31/ssp-mh31.html

You can write your own review of the BX-184 kit.

DL3BQA Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2011 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have been lucky to be one of the chosen beta testers before official introduction of the solution in FUNKAMATEUR magazine 2/11. Can only say it works flawlessly with my FT-817. Will work with every other transceiver with 5 V or 7-16 V on mic jacket, too. Easy adaption to used TRX with small jumpers. Nice not to need a separate voicekeyer as I need the mic anyway, hi. Thumbs up for such a well thought and made design. 73s Uwe DL3BQA/DF0TEC/DM0Y

DG2IAQ Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2011 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Great product !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished soldering yesterday and did some brief tests on the open case yet.

Everything works fine and sound is great as well. No remarkable difference in audio quality in between the original voice and the recording.

But one thing was never mentioned yet in any publications and you only can find it out by having a closer look to the datasheet of the ISD1760 and the BX-184 schematic:

As the ISD1760 routes the mic audio line all the time, even in non-repeating standby-mode, its AGC works for the normal audio as well !
This is a great side effect as the FT-817/857/897 do not have any internal mic compressor. And their MIC line level setting works AFTER the internal mic amp and cannot prevent distortions on the 1st stage.

I will try to fasten up the AGC time by lowering C8 (4.7µF) as I like fast AGC much more. Let's see if it will work here as well.

But with a proper aligned total audio level, the BX-184 MH-31 is perfect for great audio.

...even if it surely was NOT the origin intention of the designer...hihi.

vy 73,
Jochen

PE1KL Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2011 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Good product at low costs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a DXpedition into Ghana I decided to buy the BX-184 kit for my FT857D TRX. The construction was easy to do, I did not glue the element into the housing. The element is now secured by a layer of foam. Sound reports are good. Only I need a Dremel for removing some spots on the back of the MH-31 housing. Next DXpedition the BX-184 will accompany me.

N3JON Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2011 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Cool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking for an easy to use voice keyed for some time to use in pileups and contests.
I found it in the BX-184 kit from Funkamateur Magazine. This inexpensive kit cost 39 Euro ($56 US).
What is unique about it is that it fits inside a Yaesu MH-31 Microphone. It is in a fact a complete replacement mic element and circuit board. If you do not have a MH-31 they can sell you one. The microphone’s center fast scan button turns on the record function for up to a minute. The same button controls playback for one time or a 3, 6 or 10 second repeat. The mic when used as a microphone sounds to my ear like a DX quality mic more like a Heil HC-4 sound then a HC-5 sound.
The input power offers a choice of 5 volts provided on the mic cable on newer Yaesu rigs as well as an 8 to 16 Volt input. The mic plugs straight into my FT-817 but I had to wire up an 8 volt source for my FT-990.
The kit provides for its use with most all rigs and it has a circuit option for use with Icom’s up and down buttons.
At the moment the assembly instructions are in German (English instructions I am told are coming.) There is an instruction supplement available from the kits designer which is all you really need.
Half the board is pre built with surface mount components and you do the rest.
The construction was not too hard. You have to solder a surface mound capacitor on the back of the mic element (easier than I thought). There is a surface mount choke that is easy to damage (as I found out) and I felt it necessary to grind out with my dremel tool some spots on the back of the MH-31 case so it fit tight and did not press on the circuit board. Others have found this not necessary.
The circuit’s designer Oliver Drose patiently answered my questions and provided support. Ordering the kit was not too hard and it came in about a week.
All in all this was a neat kit, fun to build and is just what I was looking for.