Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Ultra Beam Yagi 2 el 6-20m Help

Reviews Summary for Ultra Beam Yagi 2 el 6-20m
Ultra Beam Yagi 2 el 6-20m Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1280,00 Euro
Description: Dynamic yagi 2 elements 6-20m

You can write your own review of the Ultra Beam Yagi 2 el 6-20m.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2018 02:37 Send this review to a friend
good performer for it size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After I moved to a smaller condo I explored my antenna situation to make the best out of it.
On my older propery I had a tower installed with the 4 element Ultrabeam so I was spoiled.
But where I live now, I have close neighbours and a lot less of space to put up antennas.

I looked at the marked and my first goal was to set up a Hexbeam.
But one of the neighbours started to complain about my plans.
Although the elements are longer 90 off the boom with the Ultrabeam, the boom is only 5 feet (1,62 meters) long allowing me to park it close to the house when the tower is retracted.

Comparing this antenna against most competitors result in same forward gain numbers.
Since Ultrabeam decided to use a director instead of a reflector in combination with the driver the front to back is not great. A 3-element would improve that a lot (or the use of a reflector en no director).

After consulting the company their choise relies on two things, best forward gain and smallest possible boom.
It has been proven to be a good choise. The antenna does a really great job with only two element. Forward gain is as advertised with additional gain raised higher.
While on the back of the antenna the 180 stations still can be loud, the advantage for the operator is to work them like with a dipole and no turning or switching has to be done.
For people that prefer better F/B ratio, the software allows to alter the settings and make the director into a reflector. F/B will improve but forward gain will suffer. Up to you what you prefer.

Completed the antenna weights aprox. 15 kg's so she is easy to install especially since the boom is short and therefore the elements only sit at 80 cm (2,5 feet) form the center.
Nevertheless there's lots of space to use this antenna on towers with elevator systems or retractabe towers like mine.

Ultrabeams are not cheap. The cost of the antenna plus the additional control cable sets you back quiet a bit even for the smallest model.
But the return is great. Good gain, small footprint, 1:1 matched on all operated bands, nothing to worry about using solid state amplifiers.
And with proper software the station can be controlled over the internet, radio, antenna, rotator and amplifier.

As I owned the 4 element for several years without any mechanical or electrical problems and with performance in mind for two elements, I rate it 5.
For those who want a small antenna, still full size elements, matched to the bands and aible to work on 6 bands. You should look at this model.
VK3IDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2012 05:29 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being the first Ultrabeam user in Australia, I thought Id post my early observations, and will post a follow up later down the track after extensive use.
1.Logically sequenced,easy to follow instruction manual with useful pics. Could be a little more detailed and without the mispellings, but no issues at all with the assembly.
2.All parts were provided, so nothing missing,but no spares.
3.Assembly took me a casual and relaxed 4 hours,including reading the manual closely.
4.SWR was 1.5 or lower on all bands, and with some slight driven element adjustments all SWR reading are 1.1 on all bands according to my MFJ analyser. Its great being able to tune the antenna from the comfort of my chair and a finger on the controller!
5.Unfortunately I dont have another antenna up to compare it with, but my subjective findings is that it works very well, especially considering that its only about 30 foot high. Il comment more on my next, follow up review.
6.Customer Service provided by the Australian dealer RF Solutions has been excellent.
7.What I really like: High quality throughout ; semi transparent fibreglass elements so it blends in with the sky quite well, also I can see the moving copper inside the element for trouble shooting purposes; Square boom so the elements perfectly line up; I can retract the copper element in case of electrical storms;pre connected cable connectors from the control box to the motors,so plug & play; and not forgetting the interface cable that connects between the control box and my transceiver, so the antenna resonant frequency changes automatically in tune with my VFO.
Yep, so far a satisfied user of my new dynamic antenna system!
IK8TEO Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2011 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for cwer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally SWR 1:1 also in the sub-band telegraphy. The antenna is built with great care as well as its controller.
Ideal in the contest with his non extreme directionality.
Light and robust, revolution the concept of antenna 100 years after its invention.
Greatly recommended for all.
73 de Francesco IK8TEO.