Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Advantage Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Advantage
West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Advantage Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $200
Description: The RIGblaster Advantage features a simplified PC interface and expanded rig control radio compatibility, accomplished without compromising the functionality and flexibility that the RIGblaster products are known for. This new addition to the RIGblaster product line incorporates several user requested enhancements:

- Internal sound card

- Single plug and play USB cable connection to PC for audio, rig control and power

- Rig control interface for CAT/CI-V as well as RS232 through a DB9 port

- Front panel mounted transmit power level, receive audio level and VOX delay adjustment knobs
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Advantage.

NE6AA Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2016 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Operates as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My new Rigblaster Advantage arrived last Friday; I was set up/configured on Monday with superb technical support from Sholto at WMR. Sholto's breadth of technical skills and wealth of radio knowledge involving WMR products and related apps was obvious. He carefully and patiently led me through each WMR and FLDIGI setup and configuration option and setting, including the necessary internal menu settings for my ICOM-775DSP. So very much appreciated! Thank you! 73, Ken, NE6AA

N7MPY Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great interface, easy to set up and works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned an older Rigblaster (Pro Plus) that required a lot of cables to interface to my computer sound card. The old unit required constant adjustment of the sound card settings. The sound card ran "hot" and was difficult to lower the gain enough. The new Advantage requires very little configuration and once set up works without additional adjustment for JT65, PSK-31, and transparently for SSB use.

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2015 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Great- Easy to setup and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
The WMR Rigblaster Advantage is very easy to setup and use. Connection to the PC is via a single USB cable. Connection to my FT-450D is via a special cable (pre-ordered along with the unit) that connects from the Rigblaster to the rig mic input RJ-45 connector. Then, the rig mic connects to the WMR Rigblaster. The Rigblaster appears as a virtual COM port in your PC device manager, so it easy to configure your PC SW. I've been using the Rigblaster for JT65, JT9, AFSK RTTY, PSK31, PSK64 and contest CW generation. I drive it using Ham Radio Deluxe on all of the above modes, except JT65, where I use the HB9HQX edition of JT-65 HF. The Rigblaster works very well, and is easy to adjust the sound levels, not having to worry about the PC sound card settings, or about PC sound getting into the rig.

KB1HMJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2015 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Fewer cables and easy to operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a replacement to the RG Plug & Play that used only USB port on the PC: this is it. No sound card needed in the PC. No serial port (RS232) needed either... all it needs is the one USB, and that is nice. Using HRD and DM780, I am able to operate all digi modes including CW and RTTY on the rig (IC 7700). CW is true keyed CW using a separate virtual com port made by using the com port splitter app from West Mountain Radio. Since this device has a built in sound card, the PC sound card is free to do whatever it want/needs to do while the rig operates separately from the PC. No more worrying about PC generates sounds getting to the rig. The Advantage's built in audio level controls (knobs) are also quite handy. This version of RigBlaster also supplies nicely constructed modules for jumper seelction for your brand of radio and mic. No need to read jumper connector diagrams any more. Highly recommended.

VE1XOP Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Work all modes & Support is Super!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm a techie guy at heart. Getting it configured was a breeze. Ease of use once configured, works like a charm.

The CD comes with a variety of software; but you could use an old version of HRD or get the new one with support for more modern computer OS.

In all - love it and will never let it go!

N6CAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Worth it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While new to the Advantage that replaced my PnP after several years, I did not hesitate with purchasing this unit as an upgrade.

Setup was quick - drivers loaded in Windows 7 automatically and using the jumper blocks setup to my Icom rig were quick.

I may be too picky (and this goes against the across the board ease of setup) but I prefer connecting interfaces like this via ACC ports rather than the microphone jack. My rigs provide receive audio on the microphone jack, but it is variable and isn't utilized by the Advantage through that connection anyway. The optional cables available from WMR address some issues, but still need the unit to go between the microphone and rig for keying. I made my own cable using a DIN plug for the ACC1 (8-pin) on the Icom (756 Pro II) and now the receive signals are cleaner and don't change with the volume control.

On the air its been flawless. I got into JT65 in recent months and this keeps me going with it and may even lead me to venture into RTTY and other modes. (Sadly I broke my PnP by stretching the fixed cable) but even second hand this unit worked out of the box.

I'm not sure why, but RX audio in has always been "hot" and hard to control. The recommended levels in software are "halfway" but I am stuck with using the lowest on the mixer level in Windows and the RIGblaster control at about 8 o'clock. Speaker jack audio - their preferred method - was even worse and full of noise - probably from the audio amp in the Icom. Besides this, I highly recommend the Advantage. If you study how it can connect to your rig, it might even add to the stability of the setup.

Note that the instruction manual available online has almost twice as much content as the printed one included - and is very helpful with a wide range of digital mode software available today.

AF5DN Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Works!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It does what it says it will do. Easy to setup and and functions as described.
Would recommend!

JT1CS Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Real Pro unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced my DigiMaster Proplus with RB Advantage. RB Advantage was very easy to hook up and make configuration with HRD, JT65-HF. Real Pro unit. I would buy another RB unit. I had big trouble with Digimaster.

AF5DN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Connected to a TS-2000 and a Dell XPS.
Took the Rigblaster out of the box, RTFM Read The Full Manual.
Connected it up to the radio and PC as described in the manual. Worked first time, no issues. Was up and running fldigi and psk-31 in 15 minutes.
What else could I possible ask for?

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
2nd Rigblaster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got this one, replacing the original Rigblaster Plus that worked well for me for years.

The internal soundcard does a much nicer job than the soundcard I have in the computer, and being able to tweak the receive and transmit levels via knobs instead of the rig's volume control and mic gain makes life much simpler. As a bonus, I can leave the rig's mic gain setting optimized for SSB and make the necessary adjustments on the Rigblaster.

Excellent upgrade.