Reviews Categories | Ham Call Sign Accessories | NL7XM Callsign Historical Research Help

Reviews Summary for NL7XM Callsign Historical Research
NL7XM Callsign Historical Research Reviews: 233 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Free or 1.00
Description: NL7XM ("Pete the Greek") provides a wonderful service to the ham community by using his vast collection of Callbooks to research original license dates. His work is done as a service to his fellow hams (although he would accept $1.00 to defray copying and mailing costs). Keep him in mind when you have old Callbooks to dispose of. He can be reached at twelvevdc@aol.com

You can write your own review of the NL7XM Callsign Historical Research.

W6HDG Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Thank goodness for Pete's Research Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pete has amassed an amazing collection of old callbooks and other research documents in order to help out guys like me whose memory is a bit fuzzy on licensing dates. I was able to confirm that I have been a ham for over 50 years with a verified copy of a callbook page from Summer 1963. Pete charges a very small research fee which I'm sure doesn't cover his relentless pursuit and purchase of old callbooks that are beginning to turn to dust.

Pete, you are an asset to our hobby! Thank you.

NN6JA Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Last Man Standing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pete's handiwork can be seen throughout ABC Television's "Last Man Standing". Many of the call-signs used on the show have been cleared through Pete. Take a look at show 217, "The Fight".

We also had help with call-signs from the ARRL's Allen Pitts and Khrystyne Keane.

K6EBN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it for historical research  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had Pete research my callsign, curious about who had it before me. He has an extensive collection of old call books, the ham-radio equivalent of the phone book from before the computer age, and was able to establish the sole owner of the call sign, from the mid-1950s through 1960.

It took a while to get to the top of Pete's work queue, but once there he did a quick and thorough job. His work is well worth the money ($10.50 in my case, but it's based on the hours required).

WA2EJT Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Pete's Research gave far more info than I thought possible!  Time owned: months
I was looking for information on a call printed on the front of a transmitter I am writing a magazine article. Pete got the name and address of the owner who had held it for only one year(1956) while living in Wisconsin. He then located the guy, now living in Florida, and had talked to him via the phone. Pete gave me the number and I talked with him too. Turned out that the call had been reissued in the sixties for 5 years, then lapsed. Pete found that guy too! World class research - nobody else can provide this service, which will add historical depth to my story of the transmitter. Thanks Pete!

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Fred performed an amazing, detailed history not only of my first call, but every call I've held since then, year by year. He more than exceeded my expectations !

W4DAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2013 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Found it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I knew my license was issued back in the late '50s but not sure when. Pete was able to find my novice call and prove when I earned it. All the material he provided is top class. Tnx for the help, Pete.

VA3BLE Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2013 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Found my Grandpa's 1936 callsign  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I learned about Pete's service on HamNation but I thought mine was an impossible request. I knew that my SK grandfather had a Canadian call before WWII but all VE's were forced to disassemble stations at the start of hostilities. He never reassembled his station.
So with sparse input data of name, city and decade, Pete found Tom Smith's VE4ACA from 1936.
I'm really grateful for this link to my family's past.

WB0BTI Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Great help for poor memory  Time owned: more than 12 months
He had to dig awhile to find the first year my call was valid but he found it. Great job!!!

COLONEL1969 Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 19:44 Send this review to a friend
A national treasure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pete "The Greek" is simply the best. He and his set of Radio Amateur Callbooks are the ham-radio equivalent of the National Archives, but with a skillful curator available to all.

I have been researching American humorist Jean Shepherd's involvement in amateur radio for some time. Shep got his first ticket in 1938 in Hammond, Indiana, as W9QWN; his last call was K2ORS, when he moved to the NYC area to work at WOR radio in 1955. But what about those formative in-between years, when Shep was developing his art at numerous radio and television stations? Knowledge of each ham call and QTH would provide valuable clues regarding his development as a radio-broadcast genius and storyteller, as well as avenues for further research. Exactly where did Shep live, and when?

The ARRL did not even respond to my e-mails seeking this information, even though I am a life member. I filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the FCC; they responded that they have no such records prior to 1965. I contacted other hams who supposedly had some old callbooks, but it was "not convenient" for them to help, even for Jean Shepherd, who gave so much to American humor and ham radio. But within days of contacting Pete, I had Shep's complete ham-radio history between 1938 and 1955, consisting of five different callsigns and seven different addresses, all organized by corresponding time periods in chronological order. For this unique resource and talent, Pete charges only a modest fee. In summary, he is a national treasure. He is our institutional memory.

N0EVH Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My last year in high school I tested for my novice and only had a month to play radio. Off to college and then the army. When I got back to town I was sad to learn that my mentor had moved out of state. No internet to help in those days, so his call sign was lost to my poor memory.

Fast forward to NL7XM Pete. Having my mentors name and address from 1963 was all Pete needed to search thru the zero call book and find K0IHA Max Lamb. Thanks Pete for filling in those lost memories of my mentor who guided me on my first Field Day, let me spin the knobs on a set of Drake Twins and let me watch him check into a 40 meter net with a home brew kilowatt.