Reviews Categories | Ham Call Sign Accessories | NL7XM Callsign Historical Research Help

Reviews Summary for NL7XM Callsign Historical Research
NL7XM Callsign Historical Research Reviews: 313 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Free or 1.00
Description: NL7XM ("Pete the Greek") provides a wonderful service to the ham community by using his vast collection of Callbooks to research original license dates. His work is done as a service to his fellow hams (although he would accept $1.00 to defray copying and mailing costs). Keep him in mind when you have old Callbooks to dispose of. He can be reached at twelvevdc@aol.com

You can write your own review of the NL7XM Callsign Historical Research.

K8YX Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2015 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Fast and Thorought  Time owned: months
Pete is right on top of these requests. He sent me call sign history and some vintage QSL cards from my requested information on a club call sign. All those musty old call books are a treasure for sure. Thanks Pete!

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: months
I was able to get the information I needed very quickly!

WA2RPY Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2015 00:07 Send this review to a friend
The service I received from Pete Varounis was excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was referred to Pete, NL7XM by Gordon West in response to a question that I had in regards to using the grandfather method to upgrade my license from Technician to General. Since the FCC requirement is that they need evidence of being licensed prior to 1987. I was originally licensed in 1961, but had no evidence of my previous licensing. In talking to Gordon he gave me Pete's mail address, and suggested that I contact him. I did just that, and was advised as to what information he needed. After supplying the information, I received the information, and was able to present all of it to the VE, and received my upgrade last week. The service I received from Pete was outstanding, and what he charged me for the research was very fair. He kept me informed all the way, and let me know of any questions that he had. Needless to say I was extremely pleased with the service from him, and would recommend him to anyone else needing his services. Definitely 5 stars.

WR3KI Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2015 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Servive   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quick response & documentation, so I could join QCWA. Have I really had my license THAT LONG?.

AI6IX Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2015 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellen Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needed callbook photocopy for grandfathering General Class from the 1950's. Pete gave quick and accurate response.

W1PJL Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Very helpful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When my dad died last fall, I decided to become a ham and request his call sign as a vanity call sign. Pete was great in helping me track down when the call sign, W1PJL, became part of the family. He was able to trace it back to 1946 when my dad returned from WWII as a US Navy radioman. My dad would have been 91 this Memorial Day. Seems appropriate to say thanks to Dad for his service and to Pete for his help. Pete found the information in a matter of days!!

WB2ENX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pete did the search for my old call sign WB2ENX and sent me a certified copy to submit when I took my Tech test, passed with flying colors and the FCC gave me my General Class ticket and call sign KE8ATS. I couldn't have done this without Pete's help and assistance. At $11.00 his work is priceless.

Dale M Hauck ke8ats

KN7DHF Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Pete's research allowed me to get my first call back.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was trying to get my original 1958 novice call back under the former holder provision of the vanity call program. My old call was issued long before computer records were kept and so it was necessary to provide paper documentation as proof that the call was issued to me. Unfortunately, my old license, logs, and QSLs had disappeared years ago and it suggested to me that Pete might be of help.

I contacted Pete and he was, as other reviewers have noted, very very helpful. He looked up my original call and told me it was in the spring edition of the 1958 call book. He did provide with a photocopy of that page at a nominal cost, well worth it for his time and material.

Sure enough when I applied for the call the application was off lined for a manual review by the FCC.Two days before 18 day processing period ended, I was asked for documentation and I was able send a scanned copy of the Call book page which was what they were looking for. On March 13 of this year KN7DHF came in from the past. Had it not been for Pete, this would not have occurred.

Scott, KN7DHF, ex-AF5UZ

K1OSJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Great support and service  Time owned: months
While researching an old colleague from the early 1960s, we were confused about our colleague's ham license call sign. We knew he was a ham (because our whole group was hams), and we wanted his call sign for a document we were drafting that discussed our activities with early volunteer Phototrack satellite photography activities. Pete (NL7XM) helped us identify for certain the call sign we were looking for.

Pete "The Greek" is a good man, and by maintaining ham call sign history as he does, he certainly helps others (like our motley crew) keep track of what happened decades ago. Thanks, Pete. Job well done.

KC3EMN Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service in Obtaining Required FCC Information  Time owned: months
I figured jumping back into Ham Radio after having been away from it for 48 years would be a monumental and daunting task. I also felt the best place to start to gather information would be at the ARRL web site and so that's where I began my quest for information. To be certain, the ARRL site was an excellent source of information and did a fine job explaining how to contact the organization authorized by the FCC to provide proof that from 1962 - 1967 I held a General class Amateur Radio Operator's license. I called the phone number listed and sent an email as well. It's now been more than 6 weeks and I still haven't received a reply to the voicemail message I left or to my email message. After about a week I began looking for information on several Ham Radio web sites and stumbled upon the information here regarding a service Pete Varounis, NL7XM provides that proves that former Hams were once, former Hams.

From the time I emailed Pete Varounis, NL7XM to the time I received the documentation I needed to prove I held a General class Amateur Radio Operator's license back in 1962 not even a week had passed. That time included me mailing Pete a very modest service charge authorizing Pete to send me the certified proof he provides, to the time I had the information from the 1967 Callbook in my hands listing my call letters, name, address and the class of license I held. And in my case Pete also stepped in to help provide a testing location for me to take the FCC Technician exam without having to wait forever or even to find VECs in my own area. (Fortunately for me Pete Varounis doesn't live too terribly far from me.)

If you decide to email Pete include your old call letters, your name, address at the time you held a license and the class of license you held to speed things up. Pete responds almost immediately to all inquiries via email. I definitely recommend this service to any wishing to return to the fold.