Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | iPortable iP-30 Help

Reviews Summary for iPortable iP-30
iPortable iP-30 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $199.99 plus shipping
Description: Pocket size HF SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.iportableus.com

You can write your own review of the iPortable iP-30.

DL1AIW Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great in the field  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Small but great analyzer, works fine, especially in the field or on SOTA-tours, mechanically stable (including battery-fixing, which was disputed somewhere) small and accurate to tune. I can recommend it to everyone!

K5ZZR Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 06:47 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this analyzer and the controls are a dream to use. Accurate and percise. Good Bye MFJ.....

N9ZA Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent analyzer, nicely built, on target with the numbers.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second one and would buy a third. One reviewer complained about the battery being loose and noisy from movement, not so. The battery area has padding on the top and end surfaces that keep it snug without any movement or noise. The circuit board has professionlism written all over it.

W4NRY Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2013 10:24 Send this review to a friend
IP30z analyzer handy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to use. Tuning dial has great resolution control. Mark great to deal with. Highly recommend the unit.

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice Compact Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my IP-30Z Analyzer from IPortable and I was very pleased... It is really small and perfect to tote along on QRP type Trips which I do quite often and the unit seems to work great.. Tried it in the shack here and looking at the readings they are the same as the MFJ 259 I had last... Great that they can be run using 1 - 9Volt Battery and so so small .. Its a fraction of the size of the MFJ's I have been using for years... Good Unit, Super Fast Shipping.. If I had one gripe its that it doesn't go to the last setting when powered off it comes back to the default setting when powering it up.. I bet they get that taken care of in later units.. No biggie .. Great Product....

HB9DST Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 17:28 Send this review to a friend
great for SOTA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect size/weight for putting in the backpack for SOTA hikes.

Only thing on the wish list: that it remembered previous settings instead of always going to defaults.

AGYOUNG Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very well constructed, very small, and very user friendly. No one should be without one.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2011 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very high quality portable unit. Works like a charm. Perfect for home and field use. Very affordable. I like it!

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2011 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I operate portable with my Buddipole from the park to DXpeditions. I used to take my MFJ with me but it weighs almost as much as my IC-7000. This analyzer is the answer to your portable or backpacking Needs. The iP-30 has a simple and very well thought out menu system and operates on a standard 9v battery or wall wart. (not supplied) Buy one!

Dan WZ1P

KE1B Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2011 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Good, but could be even better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an MFJ-259B, as well as a lab-grade network analyzer, but I wanted something small and light for "suitcase DXpeditions", using a Buddipole and IC-7000. The iPortable IP-30 is perfect for that application; it quickly finds the resonant frequency and indicates SWR, and shows you in an instant how the SWR varies with frequency. Just what you want to see when setting up antennas in the field.

A few nits, though:

(1) I compared the iPortable with both the MFJ and the network analyzer, and it consistently shows a lower SWR than is actually present. When the "true" SWR is 1.2 or so, the iPortable typically shows 1.0. It never indicates a higher SWR than is actually there, and is usually showing a lower value. This is not a "big deal", just something to keep in your back pocket. The resonant frequency indication is always "right on".

(2) It would be nice to have the unit display the battery voltage when it powers up, so you can get advance warning that the battery needs changing. I always carry a spare, but I hate to have something die right in the middle of use.

(3) For $200, Mark could have thrown in the 9V battery, along with a BNC-to-UHF connector adapter. It's all of a buck or two, and most people will need both. (Yes, the Buddipole has a BNC connector, but that's the exception for ham antennas. Most of us use UHF connectors.)

(4) It's a little annoying that the device doesn't remember the settings from the last use, e.g., band and frequency step. It always powers up on 20m with a 100 KHz step setting.

(5) The power switch should be recessed so that it can't be turned on by accident. I have a foam cutout for the unit in my Pelican "DXpedition" case, and have to be careful to slide it in top-first, because the other way would turn the unit on from friction with the foam. The same problem can occur if the unit is tossed in a backpack; it's easy for something to slide against the power switch.

All of these are minor nits. The unit works as described and is adequate for amateur measurement, and ideal for portable use.

-Rich KE1B