Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | iPortable iP-30 Help

Reviews Summary for iPortable iP-30
iPortable iP-30 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $199.99 plus shipping
Description: Pocket size HF SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.iportableus.com

You can write your own review of the iPortable iP-30.

KE1B Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2011 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Good, but could be even better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an MFJ-259B, as well as a lab-grade network analyzer, but I wanted something small and light for "suitcase DXpeditions", using a Buddipole and IC-7000. The iPortable IP-30 is perfect for that application; it quickly finds the resonant frequency and indicates SWR, and shows you in an instant how the SWR varies with frequency. Just what you want to see when setting up antennas in the field.

A few nits, though:

(1) I compared the iPortable with both the MFJ and the network analyzer, and it consistently shows a lower SWR than is actually present. When the "true" SWR is 1.2 or so, the iPortable typically shows 1.0. It never indicates a higher SWR than is actually there, and is usually showing a lower value. This is not a "big deal", just something to keep in your back pocket. The resonant frequency indication is always "right on".

(2) It would be nice to have the unit display the battery voltage when it powers up, so you can get advance warning that the battery needs changing. I always carry a spare, but I hate to have something die right in the middle of use.

(3) For $200, Mark could have thrown in the 9V battery, along with a BNC-to-UHF connector adapter. It's all of a buck or two, and most people will need both. (Yes, the Buddipole has a BNC connector, but that's the exception for ham antennas. Most of us use UHF connectors.)

(4) It's a little annoying that the device doesn't remember the settings from the last use, e.g., band and frequency step. It always powers up on 20m with a 100 KHz step setting.

(5) The power switch should be recessed so that it can't be turned on by accident. I have a foam cutout for the unit in my Pelican "DXpedition" case, and have to be careful to slide it in top-first, because the other way would turn the unit on from friction with the foam. The same problem can occur if the unit is tossed in a backpack; it's easy for something to slide against the power switch.

All of these are minor nits. The unit works as described and is adequate for amateur measurement, and ideal for portable use.

-Rich KE1B

W6ZKH Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received this iP30 and put it right to use making tests on my dipoles and also a multi-band vertical. Really shows you what is needed to adjust the SWR and just how much my tuners are working to get the antenna into tune. Now to get with the antennas and start correcting them.

W7LRY Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very useful instrument for all your HF antenna work. It is very well built. Nice neat ckt board with no jumper wires. Runs on low power. 9 volt battery. I use to use a different brand that required eight AA batteries. It is small light weight so easy to carry in the field. Not as expensive as most other analizers. With other models the band selector switch wore out this one uses a push button to change bands. I think it is a great product at a fair price. Service is good I received it in less than a week from ordering. Great for QRP portable but I use it for all my antenna work. I am very pleased with the quality.

N3LJS Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2011 11:35 Send this review to a friend
CORRECTION  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
10M - 160M ONLY, NO 6M. I USE IT ON A RECENT QRP TRIP, IT WORKS GREAT. JUST HAVE TO FIND A GOOD CASE FOR IT.

N3LJS Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2011 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Pocket size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far so good. Small enough to put into your shirt pocket.
6m - 160 meters a must for your QRP adventures. I own a MFJ it works great but a little to heavy for my backpack. If it is good enough for a bunch of goats, I had to get one too.