Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | ARVN: The Last BIG Field Day; DVD Help

Reviews Summary for ARVN: The Last BIG Field Day; DVD
ARVN: The Last BIG Field Day; DVD Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20.00
Description: "The Last BIG Field Day documents the W3AO 2004 operation from their site just outside Baltimore, MD. We cover it all, and show you just how this huge station was assembled and operated. In true Field Day style, not everything went according to plan. But once again W3AO triumphed!"
More info: http://www.arvideonews.com/lbfd/index.html

You can write your own review of the ARVN: The Last BIG Field Day; DVD.

KX6D Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Field Day video with a BONUS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a LOVE/HATE review for me. I LOVE Field Day! I mean, I REALLY LOVE Field Day! And let's admit it, I like to WIN Field Day! But because of these Yankees on the east coast, year after year I've come up short of the big prize. Let me explain...

Back in 1997, as Field Day Chairman for N6ME, I revitalized our Field Day effort on the West Coast. When I say "I", I really mean "WE" as there is no way I could have ever done it alone! While there were many players who gave and toiled, the two people who taught me the ways of the force and molded me into a better Chairman year after year was AA6PW (Bob) and K7JA (Chip).

At first it was "Beat W2GD", but that soon changed to "Beat W3AO". If you look closely at the "Top 10" lists from QST that are displayed during the video, you will see N6ME year after year (except for one...who plans a wedding on Field Day Weekend?!) Sure we would win our "Class" and make the Top 10, but we always came up short for the #1 spot! Our closet effort was in 2007 when N6ME and W6ZE combined forces on the Los Alamitos Air Station, taking 2nd place! We had the players...but not the propagation (or the population density on 40 and 80)!

So, I HATE THEM (W3AO)! I know they cheat! JUST KIDDING! They do a great job and have an excellent site! My hat off to them!

So on to the video... I've always wondered how they do it and this video gives an inside look. Except for the first 1:13 of the video (with that darn generator in the background!), the production and quality is excellent! Nice job guys!

I learned a few things...and a few things NOT to do. The length was good and it was entertaining. For the W3AO presentation, I rate this video a 4.

It was the inclusion of the 1971 Super-8 video of the Palisades ARC video that pushed my rating up to a 5! Thanks to Bill Pasternak for making this video possible!

We will show this video at our next club meeting and I'm sure everyone will enjoy it as much as I have!

Great Job ARVN!!!