Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | MFJ-432 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-432
Reviews: 22 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Voice Keyer
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-432

You can write your own review of the MFJ-432.

OE5OHO Rating: 2/5 Nov 4, 1999 09:39 Send this review to a friend
...after CQWW 1999  Time owned: unknown months
I promised to tell you if the MFJ-432 worked in the contest with the external 12V 16Ah akku... Thanks god that was the solution to the problem - but(!) I rate this MFJ-product as only 2 stars! 1) the original tasters are a waste of money - they NEVER will survive a 48h contest like last weekend!!! solder them out and throw them away!
2) with my 432 it`s not clever to buy a 9V-blockbattery - it NEVER will run for 48 h (see my reviews before). just to mention it, a friends 432 does the same!
3) massive groundloop troubles occure when you try to run the 432 from the same powersupply as your transceiver!! seems like MANY PEOPLE have troubles that way...
In my humble opinion the MFJ-company saves money the wrong way!! A voicekeyer SHOULD (MFJ doesn`t built it that way!) have tasters that actually will survive the liftetime of the alu-housing. I donīt know HOW often I hit my built in tasters last weekend in the 48 contest, but they are like I just installed them: working fine, smooth and nothing to do about it. If I would have used the MFJ-tasters the contest would have been a disaster!!! MFJ perhaps should rethink their design and DO SOMETHING about groundloop-problems most owners have! AT LEAST they should take notice and include a help-file on their webpage to cure the problem!!
Itīs fine working if you modify it yourself - and it WILL only(!) WORK properly IF YOU WORK IT OVER before you use it while passionately contesting... vy 73 de Oliver...

OE5OHO Rating: 1/5 Oct 28, 1999 05:21 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: unknown months
Well, after using the MFJ 432 with the big station some bad things happen. 1) using the same(!) powersupply as the FT-1000MP (yes, an external one) was _NOT_ good, experienced groundloop!!! TXsignals -playing back stored messages- are disturbed massively!! not good. Did not test recording but I promise, it would be with a hum (see my last review for solution).
2) Bought a new(!!) 9V-batterie, installed it: works fine - for a not even one hour!!!!!! then the internal relay stopped switching the PTT to TRX. Still - you can hear your stored messages on the built-in-speaker! It really seems to me that running this keyer with the internal 9V-supply
_IS NOT_ the solution!!! A single 9V-batterie does NOT allow a 48h contestoperation! Low voltage might be the trouble with some other reviews - check this!
3) I will bring a 12V-16Ah akku with me for the contest and _HOPE_ that this will make the
keyer work as it should! I will report if it worked in the contest and what other bad things happend... 73 de OE5OHO

K2UOP Rating: 0/5 Oct 22, 1999 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Goes from bad to worse  Time owned: unknown months
I was the first one to list a review of the 432
back in Sept. Well I finally received it back from
MFJ today (22Oct). They had it since 28 July.
Guess what? It still isn't working!!!What makes it
worse is it looks like they looked for the problem
in the cable and took the cover off the plug. Well they never put the plug back together and the
parts were inside the unit rattling around. Also
some nuts that hold down the PC board were never
replaced. To say the least, I am not a happy
camper with this keyer or with MFJ. I have to wait
until next week to see what they intend to do.

OE5OHO Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 1999 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Just bought it...  Time owned: unknown months
... for the upcoming CQWW. Also manual said "keyer set up for Kenwood" it was set for Yaesu, but that is fine with me. First tests with low-power worked so far. I noticed also that when you are recording a message and you got the MFJ 432 connected to an external powersupply you have some hum on the stored messages!! I simply installed an already used 9V-battery and from now on will record messages with the external supply NOT connected. Seems like a groundloop-problem - when I removed the mic-cable from the TRX - that means I broke that loop - things were fine again. So either disconnect the mic-cable _OR_ use the internal battery-
option when recording messages! (For playback during contest the external supply works fine!)
Well, the quality overall looks poor but should work - MFJ would be recommended to use MUCH
BETTER TASTERS on their product!! These will be the first things changed here.
If something bad happens, Iīll report it to you after the contest...

N0FW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 1999 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Works Great For Me!!  Time owned: unknown months
I bought one for our contest efforts up here in North Dakota. It arrived just before the 1999 ARRL Phone test. After reading the manual, I checked to make sure that the jumpers were set correctly, connected it to 12VDC and off we went. It worked great through the whole test and still, to this day, continues to work. No feedback problems. Maybe all the appliance operators just don't understand how to make things work well with a system?

WU2M Rating: 0/5 Oct 21, 1999 17:55 Send this review to a friend
A Piece Of Junk!  Time owned: unknown months
Well, I should have known better than to buy one but I wanted to think that MFJ would get
one thing right. Well, they didn't! It was jumpered wrong out of the box and after I set it correctly it still does not work! This should not bother me though, I have had other MFJ products that were junk. I guess I should have purchased a real keyer, NOT the MFJ !!

W8GN Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 1999 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Well, it's not that bad.....  Time owned: unknown months
Our radio club bought a few of these units a couple of years ago - they all worked fine once set up. A couple of them did not have the jumpers set the way they were supposed to be. I would guess that they were returns and the distributor probably didn't reset them.

I just bought a new one for CQP99 - it got here an hour before the contest started. I set it up and recorded my CQ message. There was TERRIBLE noise in the message. I found that if I disconnected the external power (coming from an ASTRON linear supply) I could get a nice quiet recording (battery powered). On play back - no problem. I am guessing there is a sensitivity to some kind of ground loop in the 432's input circuit as there is no noise when just using the mic through the 432. Irritating, but not really a disaster.

Noticed two times during 24 hours of operation where the #1 button would not respond. Power off-Power on fixed it. Again, irritating, but not really a disaster.

So, I'd say the unit is worth the asking price. I have not experienced any RF interference problems with the unit (either the club units or this one). As always, station installation quality can have a huge bearing on how peripherals like this perform.

The unit is being used in a kW environment with a Heil DX-4 and an FT-1000D/IC-756/IC-765.

If you can live with the minor problems, I'd say go ahead.....

Bruce R. Knox W8GN
RF Applications, Inc.

N2LH Rating: 3/5 Sep 29, 1999 18:09 Send this review to a friend
well, not bad for the price..  Time owned: unknown months
I bought my 432 for ARRL SS last year, 2 weeks before the contest. I figured I would like to have some time to get used to it and set it in the shack.. OK, fine on planning.. I got the unit and wouldn't work with my ts-850.. Opened up the cover and it was jumpered for something else, eventhough the manual said it would be jumpered for kenwood.. Strike 1..
It was supposed to work on a 9V battery. Nope the reply wouldn't close, Strike 2..
Never got my first 432 to work, so I sent it back, and demanded a new one, not to wait for repair.. Got the new one..
Used it in ARRL SS and the memory 1 button became intermiten. STRIKE 3..
So after the contest was over, I called for a replacement button and replaced it.. It still works ok, a little flakey, but right now, still better than nothing.

N0AH Rating: 0/5 Sep 28, 1999 00:20 Send this review to a friend
A Piece of Garbage  Time owned: unknown months
Every keyer I have ever got from MFJ works about 5-10 minutes then fails- This is another case of "If You Advertise It, They Will Buy It-" that doesn't mean they build anything that works-

After trying out three of these things, the last one is in the garbage heap-

Memories that seldom retain anything-, amazing cases of RF feedback- varying output levels contengent upon bands used- I mean the list is never ending- I keep trying, beliving, that MFJ can make a keyer, any memory keyer, that will work as advertised-- but after 4 years of trying out their equipment- it sucks- and I am the bigger fool to keep trying it-

Sincerely,

Paul Veal N0AH
Carpenter, WY

W4ASM Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 1999 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me  Time owned: unknown months
I have had one of these for two years. Other than some head scratching to figure out my non-standard hook up (T4XC es Diawa SP), have had no problems in using it thru several contests. I did replace the push buttons with more robust switches having bigger buttons out of personal preference. Also added a "pulse tuner" since space for the board and switches was available.