Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Comet CAA-500 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CAA-500
Comet CAA-500 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=10&childID=20

You can write your own review of the Comet CAA-500.

NJ5G Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
High quality, robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
Terrific quality (way beyond MFJ) If you just absolutely need the sign of the imaginary component to know if the reading is capacitive or inductive then you need a different instrument. I have had this jewel for about 3 years and it works well for my needs. It takes a second or two for the freq readout to stabilize after an adjustment sometimes and the freq control could use a vernier but it is not THAT sensitive or difficult to use. It is quite accurate and robust with a build quality that is the envy of MFJ owners. Standard USA PL-259 screws on just fine.

Patrick NJ5G

AF5GP Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2014 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Controler  Time owned: more than 12 months
The frequency control was very erratic, Very sensitive I just live with it but I do like it.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Has been working fine for years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine since june of 2011. It has preformed flawless. After a few complaints from others I checked mine with a Bird as a reference. Reading dead on. and never a problem with connector. It works fine. I guess some folks just don't like it but I do.

AE7ZL Rating: 2/5 Dec 6, 2013 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Had to return it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this device because it looked simple enough for what I wanted. Just SWR and Power I am not inclined to delve into all the active and reactive components, so this looked like a good fit. From out of the box it did not work correctly, perhaps I got a bad unit. The frequency control was very erratic, the frequency display sometimes worked, most often not. Most times it did work so many led elements wouldn't light up I was only guessing at the frequency. This forced me to make numerous measurements when only one or two should have worked. 8 hours later I decided to return it. The vendor said they had others returned for similar reasons. I went to my second choice a Rig-Expert AA-600 and I am very happy with it.

N0HAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 01:55 Send this review to a friend
YAY strait up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK folks unless you spend major dollars for a spectrum analizer with tracking generator these devices work well for us hams. I have both this and the MFJ-269 and prefer this for ease of use! I dont know if I would trust in near field high R.F. situations but for most of us common folks it's the ticket fast and easy to use one needle for swr the other for impedance short and sweet... OH and a bonus it does 220!

WA2ASB Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2013 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Frequency control Difficult  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Apparently the one I received has been updated to use the coax fitting and threads for the USA.

My complaint is with the precision of the frequency control. I've used a RigExpert AA-230 before and it is extremely precise to the 1K.

Although it does give you Z, you have no idea what the reactive component is. Again with the AA-230 you know if it inductive or capacitive.

If someone was looking for an analyzer I would recommend that they spend the extra money for a RigExpert.

KK4NQL Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 20:00 Send this review to a friend
love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a Palstar that was brand new and inaccurate. Called the company and was told they had software issues, to ship it back and it will get fixed... Are you kidding me? the unit wasn't 24 hours old! Returned it to Gigaparts and they took care of me with the Comet CAA 500. I should have listened to Mike from the git go.

WA7RBC Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my CAA-500 at the Ft. Wayne hamfest last week. I've used it quite a bit since then and it compares favorably with my other analyzer, a Rig Expert AA-54. The latter provides more detailed information regarding impedance, but is not as handy to use and has a top frequency of 54 MHz. If you're only interested in SWR up to 500 MHz, the CAA-500 can't be beat. Its readings are accurate and the unit is well constructed.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I've only had my analyzer for a week but must admit, I've put it through it's paces. I have been in the process of changing out several of my antennas from 160 meters through 432 MHz. One nice thing about this analyzer, it covers 222 MHz!

I haven't had any trouble with the threads on the coax connectors like some other reviewers. I love the smooth action on the cross needle meters, one for impedance and the other for SWR.

It is accurate as I've compared it to my MFJ-259B, my MFJ-269 and my YouKits FG-01. Accuracy, they all agree on the ranges that each covers. My initial reason for buying the CAA-500 was to have an analyzer that covered 222 MHz which the others didn't cover.

I think the CAA-500 is easy to use and easy to read with the big meters and display. Us older coots who are having more and more sight issues appreciate that. ;=)

The only drawback I see is that it suggests that you use 1.5 volt Alkaline batteries only and not any rechargeable batteries. The rechargeable batteries only are rated to 1.2 volts as compared to 1.5 volts in alkaline batteries. They claim the lower voltage create issues and recommend only alkaline batteries.

All in all, I think this analyzer is great and I look forward to using it a lot in the future.

WB8UUJ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2012 20:32 Send this review to a friend
I'm satisfied so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a CAA-500 two weeks ago, along with a Diamond dummy load for the initial testing, and an Amphenol SO-239-to-male "N" connector adaptor for use when required....I've used my CAA-500 only VHF/UHF at this point, but all seems well....no irregularities....rest assured that based on a previous review, I'm always very very careful when turning the screw as I open the battery trap-door....I'll write further CAA-500 reviews as necessary :-)....as with my previous MFJ-259B, I keep my CAA-500 in a nice perfectly- fitting black-handled and zippered "cosmetic case" that I picked up a few years ago at a discount store....