Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Comet CAA-500 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CAA-500
Comet CAA-500 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=10&childID=20

You can write your own review of the Comet CAA-500.

AI9F Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2012 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Comet CAA-500 Analyzer and it seems to work very well! I have checked my hf through uhf antennas and it seems to have an accurate readaing compared to a transmitter and vswr meter in line. I have even found problems with my antenna switch that I have had for a while and will not buy that brand again! I have ordered a new Alpha Delta to replace it. As the old saying is true you get what you pay for!

WB8UUJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2012 12:02 Send this review to a friend
A question....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does anyone know if the initial SO-239 connector irregularity with the CAA-500 has been corrected? Are the CAA-500s now available from the major US retail vendors now equipped with the SO-239 we expect here in the USA? I'm not sure just how to describe the connector, but it's the style that's been sold for decades on HF here in the USA. It's the style we all grew up with :-)

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Dead-On for Me...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned this Antenna Analyzer for over 6 months and have run the gauntlet with antennas galore. It's behaved famously.

However, if the batteries (6 AA) get weak, your readings may be off. Always stay on top of your batteries in this unit. When they get too low, you'll get bad readings - plus the unit ships with cheap batteries. What battery powered device doesn't?

dave :)

N8SML Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Has a Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Liked the equipment and is very useful, but screw to battery compartment was impossible to remove before stripping the head. Thought about returning it for another but felt the 2nd one could pose the same problem.

KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Dec 1, 2011 22:41 Send this review to a friend
not Accurate !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rcvd CAA-500 yesterday, put it on the low band antennas 40,80, the MFJ-259-B had correct readings. when xmiting swr pwr meter were the same . the MFj-259-B checks with the HP-8753e network analyzer. using this Beautiful CAA-500 the readings were eronious..! It may be beautiful but not having correct readings is unfortinute and has to leave this shack! there are BC stn's with in 2-3 miles, but they do not bother the MFJ-259-B. It's not beautiful but reliable for tuning the antenna tuner with out a carrier and other testing. GL 73 Returned to AES yesterday BUMMER....!

KA5PIU Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, there is a minor issue with the UHF connector, an adapter will work just fine.
I simply replaced the connector with an N and use adapters as needed.
Build quality is excellent!
I built up an internal battery pack and charger and replaced original tray and power switch that I mounted on top as the original can be easily depressed by accident.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Still working great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
@ John VK2KC

In the time that I have owned mine - since May 2011 (Dayton hamvention), I have probably connected around 30 or 40 DIFFERENT PL-259 connectors on the unit. Some of the connectors were purchased in the USA, some in the UK, some here in South Africa (probably manufactured in China) and some came already attached to cable ex Japan. I can only recall one connector giving me trouble - but at the time, I thought it might have been the PL-259 connector shell that might have been damaged. All other connectors that I have used, have seated completely.
I don't dispute your claim, and clearly there is an issue if Comet have admitted a thread incompatibility, but I have not found the same problems with mine, when used with connectors that I have here.

I am still happy with my purchase, I think the quality compared to the MFJ units, is in a different class. For power, I use the rechargeable batteries that are sold through the Apple store. They are very high capacity, and I am still using the original ones I put in, in May. I am confident they could last a year before requiring a recharge, although it would probably be better to swop them out before then.

I like the very large size of the analogue meter, and in fact far prefer it, to MFJ's use of a combination of small meter and digital display of values. I would like to have had rubber "feet" on the back, to avoid scratches when laying it down. I will add my own. Apart from that, I cannot fault my unit.

John, ZS5J

VK2KC Rating: 2/5 Oct 25, 2011 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Thread stuffup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
More on the incompatible thread issue.

I have been in contact with Comet in Japan and they had admitted that the connector will NOT fit the US standard PL-259 connector. They HAVE used the 16mm x 1 mm pitch thread, they call it an International Thread! All PL-259's have a 5/8" x 26 threads per inch pitch.

Here is a copy of the email sent to me regarding the incompatibility of the threads on the lower frequency connector.

Hello Mr. John McLean,
Thank you very much for purchasing our CAA-500.
The CAA-500 first lot does not have international standard connector.
From the second lot, which will be released on NOVEMBER 2011, we change the CAA-500 connector so that PL-259 connector will screw onto the CAA-500 M-J connector completely.
Would you please so kind as to send your CAA-500 back to us?
I will send you the new one with international standard connector, then.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you.
We hope that you will continue to choose COMET products.
Sincerely,
Mika Yagishita
COMET Co.,Ltd.
TEL : 81-(0)48-839-3131
FAX : 81-(0)48-839-3136
m_yagishita@comet-ant.co.jp

So ALL CAA-500's sold in America WILL have the WRONG thread on the low frequency connector.
Contact your supplier, and I hope you get a better response that I received from the supplier I bought mine from in the USA.
DO not force your PL-259 on the connector, it will damage the thread and render your warranty null and void.

I have relented and spent $70 Aust to send the CAA-500 back to Comet in Japan, along with a sample of a PL-259 so they can check it on the replacement unit before they ship it back to me.

Her is the second email I received from them:

Hello Mr. McLean,
Thank you for your reply.
Our exchange policy is;
the customer covers the freight fee to COMET, then COMET will offer the new one and cover the freight fee to the customer.
Technically, this is not our mistake because we donít think itís wrong connector.
We usually do not make connector international standard, because we donít feel the need to do that and our distributors purchase our product with this understanding.
From second lot, we decided to make CAA-500 connector international, not because the connector is wrong, but because lots of oversea customers request international standard connector.
We usually exchange the CAA-500 because we think itís true that our product does not satisfy the customer anyway, even not by our mistake.

Please send your CAA-500 to;
Comet Co Ltd
4-18-2, Tsuji, Minami-Ku,
Saitama-shi, Saitama-pref,
332-0026, JAPAN
TEL : 81-(0)48-839-3131
Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely,
Mika Yagishita

An expensive lesson.
John McLean VK2KC

VK2KC Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Problem with the SO239 connector  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my brand new CAA-500 analyser and I wonder if anyone has the same problem as I have just found. The SO 239 connector isn't the US standard thread of 5/8" x 26 threads per inch. Instead the connector is a 16mm x 1mm pitch thread.
Has anyone found that this is the case?
I am a qualified Fitter and Machinist and do have to correct measuring equipment to determine the thread size accurately.
Due to the fact that as I live in Australia, the shipping costs preclude me from sending the unit back. I am seriously considering replacing the 1.8 to 300 mhz connector with a type N connector.
Any comments on what is a brilliantly engineered bit of test gear apart from the stuff up in the thread size?

N5AX Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2011 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Just received and tried.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna test instrument.
Well made and compares to my MFJ-269.
Very impressed.