Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Comet CAA-500 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CAA-500
Comet CAA-500 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: SWR Analyzer
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=10&childID=20

You can write your own review of the Comet CAA-500.

WA7RBC Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my CAA-500 at the Ft. Wayne hamfest last week. I've used it quite a bit since then and it compares favorably with my other analyzer, a Rig Expert AA-54. The latter provides more detailed information regarding impedance, but is not as handy to use and has a top frequency of 54 MHz. If you're only interested in SWR up to 500 MHz, the CAA-500 can't be beat. Its readings are accurate and the unit is well constructed.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I've only had my analyzer for a week but must admit, I've put it through it's paces. I have been in the process of changing out several of my antennas from 160 meters through 432 MHz. One nice thing about this analyzer, it covers 222 MHz!

I haven't had any trouble with the threads on the coax connectors like some other reviewers. I love the smooth action on the cross needle meters, one for impedance and the other for SWR.

It is accurate as I've compared it to my MFJ-259B, my MFJ-269 and my YouKits FG-01. Accuracy, they all agree on the ranges that each covers. My initial reason for buying the CAA-500 was to have an analyzer that covered 222 MHz which the others didn't cover.

I think the CAA-500 is easy to use and easy to read with the big meters and display. Us older coots who are having more and more sight issues appreciate that. ;=)

The only drawback I see is that it suggests that you use 1.5 volt Alkaline batteries only and not any rechargeable batteries. The rechargeable batteries only are rated to 1.2 volts as compared to 1.5 volts in alkaline batteries. They claim the lower voltage create issues and recommend only alkaline batteries.

All in all, I think this analyzer is great and I look forward to using it a lot in the future.

WB8UUJ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2012 20:32 Send this review to a friend
I'm satisfied so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a CAA-500 two weeks ago, along with a Diamond dummy load for the initial testing, and an Amphenol SO-239-to-male "N" connector adaptor for use when required....I've used my CAA-500 only VHF/UHF at this point, but all seems well....no irregularities....rest assured that based on a previous review, I'm always very very careful when turning the screw as I open the battery trap-door....I'll write further CAA-500 reviews as necessary :-)....as with my previous MFJ-259B, I keep my CAA-500 in a nice perfectly- fitting black-handled and zippered "cosmetic case" that I picked up a few years ago at a discount store....

AI9F Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2012 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Comet CAA-500 Analyzer and it seems to work very well! I have checked my hf through uhf antennas and it seems to have an accurate readaing compared to a transmitter and vswr meter in line. I have even found problems with my antenna switch that I have had for a while and will not buy that brand again! I have ordered a new Alpha Delta to replace it. As the old saying is true you get what you pay for!

WB8UUJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2012 12:02 Send this review to a friend
A question....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does anyone know if the initial SO-239 connector irregularity with the CAA-500 has been corrected? Are the CAA-500s now available from the major US retail vendors now equipped with the SO-239 we expect here in the USA? I'm not sure just how to describe the connector, but it's the style that's been sold for decades on HF here in the USA. It's the style we all grew up with :-)

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Dead-On for Me...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned this Antenna Analyzer for over 6 months and have run the gauntlet with antennas galore. It's behaved famously.

However, if the batteries (6 AA) get weak, your readings may be off. Always stay on top of your batteries in this unit. When they get too low, you'll get bad readings - plus the unit ships with cheap batteries. What battery powered device doesn't?

dave :)

N8SML Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Has a Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Liked the equipment and is very useful, but screw to battery compartment was impossible to remove before stripping the head. Thought about returning it for another but felt the 2nd one could pose the same problem.

KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Dec 1, 2011 22:41 Send this review to a friend
not Accurate !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rcvd CAA-500 yesterday, put it on the low band antennas 40,80, the MFJ-259-B had correct readings. when xmiting swr pwr meter were the same . the MFj-259-B checks with the HP-8753e network analyzer. using this Beautiful CAA-500 the readings were eronious..! It may be beautiful but not having correct readings is unfortinute and has to leave this shack! there are BC stn's with in 2-3 miles, but they do not bother the MFJ-259-B. It's not beautiful but reliable for tuning the antenna tuner with out a carrier and other testing. GL 73 Returned to AES yesterday BUMMER....!

KA5PIU Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, there is a minor issue with the UHF connector, an adapter will work just fine.
I simply replaced the connector with an N and use adapters as needed.
Build quality is excellent!
I built up an internal battery pack and charger and replaced original tray and power switch that I mounted on top as the original can be easily depressed by accident.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Still working great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
@ John VK2KC

In the time that I have owned mine - since May 2011 (Dayton hamvention), I have probably connected around 30 or 40 DIFFERENT PL-259 connectors on the unit. Some of the connectors were purchased in the USA, some in the UK, some here in South Africa (probably manufactured in China) and some came already attached to cable ex Japan. I can only recall one connector giving me trouble - but at the time, I thought it might have been the PL-259 connector shell that might have been damaged. All other connectors that I have used, have seated completely.
I don't dispute your claim, and clearly there is an issue if Comet have admitted a thread incompatibility, but I have not found the same problems with mine, when used with connectors that I have here.

I am still happy with my purchase, I think the quality compared to the MFJ units, is in a different class. For power, I use the rechargeable batteries that are sold through the Apple store. They are very high capacity, and I am still using the original ones I put in, in May. I am confident they could last a year before requiring a recharge, although it would probably be better to swop them out before then.

I like the very large size of the analogue meter, and in fact far prefer it, to MFJ's use of a combination of small meter and digital display of values. I would like to have had rubber "feet" on the back, to avoid scratches when laying it down. I will add my own. Apart from that, I cannot fault my unit.

John, ZS5J