Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Commander VHF-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Commander VHF-1200
Commander VHF-1200 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2995.
Description: 50 MHz monoband amplifier based on a single 3CX800A7 Eimac ceramic metal triode, capable of 1200W PEP SSB, 700W continuous carrier output.
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Commander VHF-1200.

VE2JKA Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Jusk Kick A!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Incredible! I love this amp... Max I got out of it on FM was 750W and ssb it will give you 1kw + no problem..smooth tuning, heats up a little at max output yet it cools off quite rapidly. Owned it for a little over a year now and it has performed flawlessly every time.

Highly recommended.

ve2jka
radioquebec.net

KC9AWS Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2002 04:40 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pat Stein is very helpful and accomadating when he sells you this amp. The amp is well made and works very well. It's simple to operate and the manual is easy to understand. Pat called me the next day after my Email and answered all my questions up front. This amp is the ULTIMATE AMATEUR RADIO TOY. Reports from 150 miles away, ground waves, raise my signal by 4 on their s meter. The fan noise is real low.

NH7RO Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amp--recommended!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Commander is an excellent 6M amp in all respects that I recommend it to anyone serious about magic band dxing. I'm currently driving mine with less than 20 watts PEP from a SSB LT6S transverter which results in around 600 watts PEP output. Conveniently running it off 117 volt house current works fine at these levels, too. At some point in the future I plan to drive it with an FTV-1000 for full output which will require me re-wiring it for 220v (very easy to change via terminal-strip jumpers). The first time I fired up the amp I worked stations in FJ, 9Y, KP4 and PY during a rare and marginal opening to the Caribbean from my mid-Pacific qth. It would have not been possible to make and complete these contacts without the solid help of the Commander VHF-1200. The amp has made a good number of European long-path openings bear fruit for me as well. My hat is off to Pat Stein for building such a reliable and easy-to-use amp that never needs retuning (I'm always in the weak-signal portion of the band)and delivers clean power. The slightly noisy blower fan doesn't particularly bother me--it's obviously needed to keep things running cool and dependable. My philosophy is like what the T-shirt often seen at hamfests proclaims, "Life is too short for QRP!" I'm glad I invested in this fine piece of gear and I now look forward to the upcoming fall F2 season more than ever before.

KC4PX Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 6 Meter amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Once you tune this amplifier, you never have to touch it... I purchased this used - built in 1999. This is the older version of the VHF-1200 with the older TUNE control (i.e. 17 turns from min to max), so it takes a bit to get it tuned the first time. After that, don't touch.

I've always received excellent audio reports with 900-1200 PEP out, driven with my IC-756Pro + Heil and W2IHY EQ. Excellent also for contests and high duty cycles. I do recommend this amp to any serious 6 Meter DXer.

WD8OST Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2001 11:40 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: more than 12 months
n4cpm, said it all-have had mine since feb. 1998 works flawless it is best 6m 1200 watt. if you do not want to play games this is for you--mike

N4CPM Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2000 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Strong & Sturdy  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Commander VHF-1200 is a 6 meter amp. I have had mine for over a year and it has been service free. Like most Commander Amps the only negative I can say is that the fan is a little noisy. The amp performs great. I get 1200 watts from 60 watts drive and can even push it to 1500 watts with 70 watts input. The 3CX800A7 Ceramic Metal Triod really takes a licking and it keeps on ticking. Tune up is easy and you really never need to tune again as long as you stay in the CW or SSB part of six meters, great bandwith. Although 1200+ watts is a bit much on 6 meters, this Amp is a good investment if you gona chase grids and work a new country. I have worked over 350 grids and 25 countries with mine. 73 Ed