Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | CHAMELEON V4 MULTIBAND HF/VHF ULTRA - STEALTH VEHICULAR ANTENNA Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON V4 MULTIBAND HF/VHF ULTRA - STEALTH VEHICULAR ANTENNA
 CHAMELEON V4 MULTIBAND HF/VHF ULTRA - STEALTH VEHICULAR ANTENNA Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $130
Description: CHAMELEON V4 MULTIBAND HF/VHF
ULTRA - STEALTH VEHICULAR ANTENNA
15M - 12M - 10M - 6M - 2M (20MHz TO 300MHz)

Whether used in the field, on the highway or in and high- density urban areas, the Chameleon V4 always remains stealth and unseen by others. Its ultra slim silhouette offers virtually no wind resistance and will remain stealth. The simple but robust design of the V4 ensures exceptional durability and strong communications capability.

The Chameleon V4 Antenna is a HF/VHF multiband antenna that is made for serious communication. Hermetically sealed the Chameleon V4 covers 20MHz to 300MHz.

Can also be used with 2 X 25' wires on a tripod or 2 X 9.5' telescopic whip for portable use. The V4 will then cover 10M to 40M.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON V4 MULTIBAND HF/VHF ULTRA - STEALTH VEHICULAR ANTENNA.

VE3IPS Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2014 05:22 Send this review to a friend
great low profile mobile/portable antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a low profile multiband antenna for mobile QRP operations and occasional high power. This antenna works well but its frequency range is stated to be 20-300 MHz. Out of their box it is very well built and bullet proof and the whip length is 56". If its not on a magnet mount , I have it on a tripod using 2 25' radials. I also have it mounted on the super antennas side mount for the ICOM 703 and ft-817 and on the yaesu I can cycle through 10m -6m-2m side band very easily checking for band openings.

I can tune it down to 20m using an antenna tuner.

It works well and I have made contacts with good reports.

KE7MU Rating: 0/5 Dec 11, 2013 09:14 Send this review to a friend
No Longer Available  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is no longer available, wonder why?
My tests indicated that it was deaf ( who cares if you can load it up if it doesn't radiate or hear signals.) Most of the Chameleon antennas (wire) look like a UNUN and wire. The V4 seems to be a UNUN with a little whip. Back to the Hustler and Into the junk box for this one. Expensive test.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2012 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Buy one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a few HF antenna's over the years for my cars including the screw type antenna. Hands down this is the best antenna I have ever had. Tunable from 6 meter all the way to 80. Good reports across all bands. I also put an antenna analyzer on this to check bandwidth. This thing from 6 to 89 never went over 2.8:1 SWR. Most were 2:1 or better. So, the internal tuner on my TS-2000 (in my car) had no problems tuning on every band but 160. Hell of an antenna!! if the rating went to 10, that what I would give it..

VA7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Great for back pack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this primarily for pack operation on 6 meters and some on 10/15 meters, however did not expect the results that I did. The V4 is mounted to the side of my 817 and a short jumper goes from the feed block of the V4 to the 817. The counterpoise for the system is a spiral ground plane from copper tape inside the backpack. When I initially tested the antenna on 6 I was surprised to see that the S.W.R. was 1.2:1 and with one watt it performed better than a standard 56" whip at 5 miles. On 10 meters I worked into the midwest with 2.5 watts and am looking forward to testing it on 15 and perhaps 20, to the nay sayers, it works and works very well.

Good job Chameleon!

PA7O Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2011 01:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for EMCOMM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the V4 6 months ago. Primarily for Emcomm communications for DARES in the Netherlands. Vertical (magnet base) on the roof of my car i can communicate on 80, 40 and 20 m and VHF.

There are situations a NVIS antenna is not suitable for the job.

A great compact antenna, especially on HF.

Jan de PA7O

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2011 11:10 Send this review to a friend
MORE THAN A MOBILE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The V4's low profile is deceiving. I have worked 20 and 40 meters on this antenna with excellent reports on my mobile. But the real worth of this antenna is its capability of being used as a portable and a base antenna when used as a dipole with 25 feet of 18 gauge wire. Here's an excerpt of a recent review I posted...

" During Field Day 2011, we tested a Chameleon V4 antenna. This antenna is extremely versatile. On a mobile it is low profile and can cover 15 Meters to 2 Meters. But it doesn’t end there. Mounted on a 16 foot painter’s pole, I configured it as a dipole using 25 feet of 18 gauge speaker wire that I had in my go-bag.

One of the scenarios I had in mind for this test was limited space, less than favorable location and QRP to 100 watts.
My home QTH is surrounded by 3 tall buildings. The wires were not exactly an inverted V as space was limited. The counter poise side has about 5 feet just laying on the roof. Really less than ideal set-up.

Operating goal was to have at least a 300 mile radius on low power (20 watts max). The V4 under those working conditions was able to achieve the goal! From Brooklyn, NY, I was able to make contact with Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Connecticut, Michigan, New Hampshire, Western Pennsylvania and Tennessee.
NVIS? IT WORKS. Even under the conditions I mentioned...
I HIGHLY recommend Chameleon Antennas. They are an integral part of our go-kit here at Kings County ARES."

The icing on the cake is the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU'LL EVER EXPERIENCE! Carl and Alexander are the Obi Wan Kenobis of customer service!

W4GRJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2011 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Convenient, Quick install, Works Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the V4 at the recent Florida Region 4 Homeland Security Interoperability Exercise. Installed it on a 40' tower using the jaw mount, it took maybe 5 mins to put up. The V4 was our main Winlink Packet antenna on VHF. Our closest Packet Node was over 50 miles away and the V4 worked like a champ. Used it on 20 meters a few times just to try it out, performance was very good considering we did not put up any radials. Worked the 14.300 maritime net with good signal reports. The V4 is a really versatile and convenient antenna for mobile, portable or fixed base applications.

ROB1955 Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2011 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastically stealth and versatile – great performer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna has been given to me a little more than 2 months ago for testing and reviewing by Carl at Chameleon Antenna. I was one of the first Chameleon Antenna customers few years ago and since then my brother and I own multiple of their good products.

At first I wasn't very convinced of the V4 abilities until I realized what this antenna can really do. They're saying on their website that the antenna covers 300MHz to 20MHz but in reality the V4 covers 70cm to 20M mobile and 10M to 40M portable or semi-mobile. I also had few nice QSO's on 40M mobile with it. This is very nice!

The antenna is located on the right side on my roof truck and 100% of the V4 is above the roof. The antenna is attached to a door mount and well grounded to the vehicle. The antenna takes literally 5 minutes to install. This is the easiest antenna to install or uninstall of all.

The V4 tunes perfectly on the specified bands and beyond.

I always carry 2 or 3 X 25' counterpoise wires that they sold with the chameleon v1 in my truck. So when I'm stationary in the vehicle I put a 25' wire right under the 56" whip and attach the other end to a tree, a fence or a tent stake covered with electric tape to isolate it from earth ground. This is fantastic on all bands but specially on 40M.

I'm going to buy 2 X 9.5' telescopic whips and try V4 on a tripod. I want to do the same tripod setting as the one on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYAxOK3ALw

This is an overall great product at a great price! Just try it and you'll see!