Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-54
RigExpert AA-54 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350
Description: RigExpert AA-54 is a powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

AA6SC Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The RigExpert AA-54 Antenna Analyzer is more than adequate. It's fast, consistent, and does everything I want it to do. In its "Show all" mode it displays frequency, standing wave ratio, absolute value of impedance, resistance, and reactance including an indication of the amount of inductive or capacitive reactance, if any. Plots graphs of resonant point(s). Simultaneously graphs resistance and reactance, superimposed over each other. Bandwidth is selectable in all graphing modes. The unit has a USB interface. Software is provided on a DVD (included with purchase). Mac OS X version of the software is abysmal. I am unable to test the Windows version, which may be fine. In summary, the analyzer itself is superb.

N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2015 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Benchmark Antenna Impedence Analyzer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the RigExpert AA-54 in August of 2013. A presentation link showing its many computer based capabilities is below. Examples of SWR graphs, using the software provided with the instrument for computer DAQ, may be found at my QRZ page for both of my antenna's one of which is a wide band 80m OCF.

The AA-54 has the on board ability to display up to five individual SWR values as a function of user defined frequency on screen.

Additionally, on screen, one can scan and display an SWR graph across a user defined frequency range anywhere within the supported range.

On board, complete look at impedance, including resolution of that impedance to SWR enables understanding if the antenna needs capacitance or inductance.

However, the AA-54 really shines with its USB computer interface and software, a demo of which is shown at below link.

The included software enables real time upload to computer, of impedance data, and, also, provides a comprehensive software plotting/graphical evaluation package enabling:

SWR as function of individual frequency or across user selected range with clear graphing capability which includes showing where the ham bands are on the plot (see my QRZ page for example).

Impedance as a function of individual frequency or across user selected range.

Complete Smith chart.

There are other features associated with testing coax cable for reflection, etc.

One can also send an impulse or a square wave forcing function to the antenna to get real time transient response of antenna.

Ability to do new scan while also retain of the previous graph to see how any changes to the antenna affected the last scan.

This instrument is absolutely invaluable.

However, in addition to a comprehensive software package, and, benchmark hardware package....

I became confused about one of the settings after I bought, and, emailed RigExpert email posted on their website. Over night I received a response which was written clearly. However, the response also indicated that I provide some specific diagnostic (on board) test results back so that they could make sure all was OK (diagnostics). I did, and, again, overnight, received an all good response.

Not only is this instrument benchmark for field or computer DAQ, but, the customer support is great as well.

Lastly, a Matlab object has been built and made public at the Mathworks public sharing site to acquired data real time into Matlab for analysis.

Summary of Computer DAQ capability below.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Would buy another  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this analyzer for building antennas for along time now. I have found many fun ways to use it; from the capability to monitor the SWR of 5 bands while making adjustments on our broadband antennas, to exporting the data produced by the meter to PDFs I can share with our customers. This meter always is within arms reach!

KC9SWV Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Helpful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the RigExpert AA-54 as a birthday present to myself. I have used the ubiquitous MFJ-259 meter before, but this is the first analyer I have owned personally.

The display is fairly nice as ham equipment goes (they all tend to be about a generation behind the rest of the electronics world) and a vast improvement over needle-type meters. The update rate of the screen seems perfectly adequate for an SWR meter, as the SWR of an antenna is unlikely to change very quickly.

The memories are nice as you don't have to remember or write down everything while you're tuning or testing an antenna. This was the big thing that sold me on the -54 over the -30, as I don't currently work 6 meters.

The output is +13dBm into 50 Ohms so you can use it as a frequency source as well, but hooking it to our HP/Agilent spectrum analyzer at work through an attenuator showed a good deal of spurious noise, so I wouldn't rely on it as a primary for that role. As a note, the actual frequency source only goes up to 10 or so Mhz, after that it uses harmonics for tuning.

The user interface is a little clunky in that it uses numbered menu items instead of scrolling with the already present arrow keys. Not sure what the thought there was, but at least each digit performs the same function throughout the interface (2 always sets the frequency, 3 always sets the range, etc).

I have yet to try the computer software, but it looks to add a great deal of value as well. I'm also fairly certain that with the PC programs one can do time-domain reflectrometry for making 1/4 and 1/2 wavelength coax stubs and locating coax flaws!

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and hope to one day upgrade to a -170 model so I can make myself some 2m antennas as well. I would recommend this analyzer to anyone looking for a great value!