Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | OM 2500 A Help

Reviews Summary for OM 2500 A
OM 2500 A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $4,000.00 EU
Description: HF auto tune amplifier

You can write your own review of the OM 2500 A.

W7ZR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2015 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Like A Rock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don’t like to review a product before I have used it for at least a few months. Therefore, this will be a “preliminary” report. I have had the OM2500A for one month now. I have operated two contests with the amp with zero problems. So here goes:

The Good: Like I wrote, no problems. 25-30w drive produces full legal output after a little mod that is reversible. However, stock is just fine. Automatic band switching works well. The tuning for the new band does not change instantly but requires a dit or a cough. Once the used band segments are memorized there is very little to do. Hookup is straight forward but more on that below. Delivery from Array Solutions was fantastic. Arrived in 2 days via common carrier from Texas to remote Arizona. Delivered on a pallet and into my garage and from there a hand truck got it into the shack for unpacking. I did have my Wheaties that morning so hefting it onto the operating desk was not a problem with the nice handles on the side of cabinet.

The Not So Good: Documentation is skimpy and in places confusing. No schematics. Lots of documentation for most brand of transceiver but not Kenwood. I have a 990 but no problem. Noise…everyone seems to be concerned about the noise. It really is not so bad. My OM sits 3 feet from my op chair. The rig does keep my shack toasty but won’t be so bad in the winter. In my opinion the remote is a waste of time and money. I can’t imagine not having the amp close by for tuning or better monitoring. The remote monitors output power with a bar graph and some LEDs for fault monitoring. The ACOM 2000A remote is more functional. I really do not see how you can run this amp remote. But I could be proven wrong. Waiting on some comments on that.

Wishes: USB port to computer. Better soundproofing starting with tube fan. Better documentation. More functional remote.

Overall: Would I do it again? Absolutely. I will attempt to update this after some more time. Thanks again to Array Solutions.
N2YPD Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 02:44 Send this review to a friend
BEST AMP I'VE EVER OWNED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is very heavy but with reasons. I have many amps in my shack,(ALPHA 9500, QROHF 2500DX, COMMANDER 2500DX, KENWOOD TL 922, ICOM IC-PW1, TOKYO HY-POWER HL-1.5, HEATHKIT SB220, QRO HF 2000) but no other amp like this one, it is expencive but i am glad i spent my money on it It is very easy to use, The build quality is second to none, only the best materials are used and the finish is fantastic. Another big plus is even after hours of use the OM2500A stays cool . It is automatic in the truest since of the word. QSY is nearly instant. Full power + . I have to monitor output constantly to stay under the 1500 watts limit. I give The OM2500A a 5.5 rating for being built like a tank, Easy operation, and with good operation practice it will last a lifetime.. All I can say is the Amp works exactly like it should. The amp has been flawless in it's performance. Yes, this is a big investment but you get what you pay for and the OM2500A This Is a Real Gem of and amplifier. absolutely brilliant. have no regrets buying this amp and can highly recommend it to anyone looking for a top tier contesting amplifier.
M0ZMX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Effortless power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw this amplifier at a very good friends shack, I was blown away by its effortless power, no clunk, no hum, no pitch change, this amplifier just delivers without issue. It Follows the radio, shares its rs-232 without issue. I have this amplifier connected with a K3 and a steppIR and all works seamlessly. If it wasn't for the power meter bouncing one could be forgiven for thinking that it just wasn't working, it's really that effortless. I have the 3500A remote unit as the 2500A remote just went over scale,, running on a single phase doesn't stop this amp producing in excess of 2500W.
The amp requires but a sniff of rf and the stepper motors tune the amp in a second. It makes my previous automatic amp (Expert 1k-fa) seem silly by comparison, a heavy and substantial piece of kit, you know when you carry this puppy to the shack!!!
The build quality is exceptional, a real 'Belt and Braces unit'

I purchased this through Vine Antennas and it arrived promptly in perfect condition. great amp, great supplier.

Would I buy again ? "Without a doubt"

A true 5 out of 5
KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Beautifully crafted amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Array Solutions in Texas and ordered one of the OM2500A HF linear amplifiers manufactured by OM Power, headquartered in Slovakia. They have been manufacturing top of the line amps for over ten years and are suppliers to many of DXpeditions. The amplifier arrived in perfect condition three days later by truck freight mounted on a wood pallet. While I have only had the amp on the air two days now, some of my preliminary thoughts might be of interest to other's contemplating a similar purchase. In three months I will post a more to-the-point technical review of my experience with this beautiful piece of gear. The OM2500A comes double boxed and at 90 plus pounds requires two people to lift it onto my operating desk. It came wired for 240VAC service with a 3-prong NEMA plug attached to the power cord. I am using the amp with my Yaesu FTDX-5000. To get up and running with the amp you will need just one RS-232 serial cable from the back of the transceiver to the amp. This cable carries your radio's band switching data for the amp. Just go into your radio's menu and set the parameters given in the amp's user manual and your all set to fly. I gave the amp a legal limit shake down cruise using CW on all bands 10-160m and what a nice experience that was. In the Auto tune mode the amp senses the precise frequency of your transceiver and within a second or two tunes itself to that frequency ready for action. Alternatively, you can manually tune the amp by switching operation to the MAN mode on the front panel. 1500 watts is acheived with 50 watts drive from my Yaesu. The amp easily delivered 3 KW CW carrier into my dummy load. The Gu84B ceramic tetrode tube seems to be bullet proof and should last a very long time.
That'a all for now. More in 90 days.
M5LRO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2014 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Supreme Build Quality that matches performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Here is a product that does not come along all too often. The OM Power 2500A. This is a fully automated tube amplifier that works with most radios offering auto tune and instantaneous band changing capability.

I use this with my Hexbeam for 20-10 and a doublet for the low bands, when on the hex I can band swap ad lib and it just works, it will tune from 80m to 10 mtrs in a flash and your good to go. Makes assisted S & P a breeze, jumping from one band to another a peace of cake. Just click on the cluster with the mouse and the whole station just does a qsy, tunes and you then hit the key, what could be more simple.

The RF deck uses a very rugged and high gain Tetrode offering well in excess of its specified power output courtesy of the massive power supply built into the cabinet which in itself utilises two transformers. The unit is ideally fed with 2 separate phases but will function happily off one phase provided the cables are large enough to carry the current demand.

I have held back writing a review of this product for a while because of teething problems I had regarding communications with the RS232. I use the amplifier with a K3 and that caused some issues regarding coms but Tibi, the owner of OM Power, worked tirelessly on my behalf to improve the product and a new firmware chip to make it right.
Not once from the outset have I had an issue with the amplifier from a Power delivery aspect, in every possible way the PA is stunning, very good figures on the scope and NO RFI issues at all, even testing at high power.

This is quite simply a stunning product made by caring, courteous people, who really do consider the customer as king. Thank-you to Tibi and the guys at OM, I have a power house in the shack which I will never need to replace.

Do I recommend it, OH YES, and what's more with agents like Innovantennas in the UK and Array Solutions in the US, you know OM Power are well represented too.
PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fired up mine yesterday with my K3. Work´s just great and really automatic. Few issues in how to connect my P3 together. Anyway: strong, beatiful, well finished and of course lot´s of power. 2 kw easy on any band. Completely satisfied so far. 73´s PY2ADR / ZY2C / PR2X
NP2G Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OM 2500 A
I was looking to replace my Alpha 87-A which has given me many pleasurable years of unflinching service and will probably give it’s new owner the same.

After looking carefully at the field of contenders I found what I was looking for in the OM-2500-A . Simply put this OM-2500-A amplifier is my old Alpha on steroids.

Look at photos of any serious contest station and most likely an OM or 2 or 3 will pop up.

Yes it will produce 3KW + and Yes it will do this all day long. Since it has a robust 4.5KW power supply there is loads of overhead available.

The GU-84-B tube with 2500 watt plate dissipation is a reasonably cost efficient, watt producing, valve. Being a tetrode it exhibits the nice gain characters of this species.

Another benefit, when it eventually comes time to re tube, there is only one tube to purchase .

EBC or Electronic Bias Control is fully functional with this amplifier. It allows for a nice watt saving shut off of between words or between CW characters without distortion.

Integration with the OM Auto amplifier is very easy. It will accept various rig’s CAT control via the RS 232 through put connections.

The addition of rotary knob adjustment’s (Tune /Load) vs. (Up / Down) selection switches are just a nice tactile advantage.

And the amp does work in Manual. The tuning procedure is straight forward and easily duplicated.

Metering is great. The simple addition, along with the normal (2)LED display, of the second Grid display meter ,is far superior to just having a LED light “ALMOST” or Red LED when it is over powered.
Why not display the real values rather than light and guess.

My intentions have always been to have amplifier that will last through the challenges of time. I believe that the OM-2500-A is the answer.

Would I recommend for anyone to purchase the OM-2500-A? Absolutely.

Is there a OM-3500-A in my plans? I guess you will just have to wait for the contest photos to come out.
Ed Baker NP2G