Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Alpha Antenna SKY - VHF UHF for Satellite, Base, Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna SKY - VHF UHF for Satellite, Base, Mobile
Alpha Antenna SKY - VHF UHF for Satellite, Base, Mobile Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299
Description: Resonating Yagi elements provide direction and gain with our omni-directional circularly polarized satellite antenna for mobile or base communications. Our antenna eliminates the expense of having to buy expensive tower and azimuth elevation rotators. Perfect for Base, Mobile, and Field installations for the hobbyist or military.
More info: http://www.alphaantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna SKY - VHF UHF for Satellite, Base, Mobile.

KA7EII Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Well built with excellent customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over the years, I have built a few eggbeater style antennas for VHF and UHF with mixed results. About a year ago, I first saw the Alpha Sky antenna while searching for circular polarized antennas for Amateur Radio use. In February, my wife told me to order the Alpha Sky. We liked the antenna so much we ordered two of them. The antennas arrived very well packed and I was impressed with the quality of workmanship while assembling the antennas. Shortly after purchasing our antennas, Alpha came out with an improved version of the Sky using a pole in place of the reflective dish that I received with our antennas. The owner, Steve, contacted me and sent out free of charge the necessary parts to upgrade both antennas. It has been fun to experiment with these antennas. I have had best results with the reflective dish mounted below the pole on a small tripod on the roof. I can receive a 2-meter CW beacon that is over 70 miles away. TX and RX distance is as good if not better than my homebrew eggbeaters were. SWR is a little high on 70cm and this is described in the instructions that come with the Alpha Sky. Reception of the NOAA polar orbiting WX satellites is great. The Alpha Sky is well built and should last a long time. The customer support from Steve is fantastic. It is nice to have an antenna for casual LEO operating that is simple. I'm looking forward to many years of operating with these antennas.

PA1AGB Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful piece of technology  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found the antenna on the web, contacted Alphasky with a few questions, placed my order and within the promised time it was delivered. Box contents was very presentable, packed nicely and setup of the antenna took me 15 minutes, everything easy to understand. Antenna is extremely good looking but also a great performer. I would always recommend the counterpoise kit which was in my case necessary to improve signal quality. Was able to catch FO 29 and SO 50 with a clear and strong signal from already 12 degrees above the horizon. (I have residential houses all around me, cannot see the horizon.) Well built, great workmanship, feels solid. SWR as promised spot on, checked with MFJ 269. Would buy this antenna anytime again, makes it real easy to get into LEO SAT activity. Support from Steve on a few questions about the system was immediate and quick. To get into SAT activity as well as ARISS this is the best and most cost effective solution.

AD7LJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2013 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great and when near horizon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though I have had this antenna for a short period of time I love it. It works so well mounted on the mast next to my house that I acquire the satellite as low as 3-5 degrees above the horizon. Though this is not how the antenna was designed to work, Steve and the team at Alpha Antenna worked out solution that added a counter-poise system to lower the SWR and improve the performance. I works great now, even with the higher than normal SWR, and I can't wait for good weather so I can put up the counter-poise and make it better. Alpha Antenna customer support is great.

W0NGJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna for 2M & 70cm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna just works! The build quality is superb. Using my Kenwood TH-D72 HT Iím hitting 2m and 70cm repeaters 30 miles away with just 5 watts. I havenít done any Amateur Satellite QSOs yet, but the direct contacts Iíve made on 2m have been impressive. Full quiet and crystal clear reception. The antenna is a little pricy, but Iím still going to get another one for my car. As noted by another reviewer, this antenna looks like a piece of sculpture Ė my HOA wonít give it a second look. Itíll probably be the only antenna I have thatíll be permanently mounted. I just hope Alpha Antenna comes out with an HF version some day.

KB0PIO Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Didn't work very well at first, BUT THEN!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a problem with too high of SWR when I first installed my Alpha Sky Antenna, plus it I felt as though it just wasn't pulling in the signals as strongly as I'd thought it should. After a couple of weeks of tinkering with my setup, I decided that I was going to return the antenna. Before doing so, I wanted to hear if the folks at Alpha Antenna had any ideas as to what might improve my situation. I left a message on their technical support line; pretty cool that there is a technical support line for any antenna manufacturer of amateur radio equipment in this day and age. I received a call back in less than an hour from none other than the Owner of Alpha Antenna, who said that he tries to perform all of the support work so that he gets direct customer feedback on ways to improve their antenna systems. I was impressed! I described my installation, which is a simple radio shack tripod on top of my roof and then the Alpha Sky mounted to the top of it. Steve, who is the owner of Alpha Antenna, quickly pointed out that anyone who uses the Alpha Sky Antenna as a base system for satellite will need a reflective surface below it. Well, I had already read that this would be the case, and I realized I just didn't follow through with the instructions. Steve was kind and said any old metal would do, it didn't matter if it were square or round, as long as it is 8 inches or over. So, I moved my antenna, which comes with a mag-mount base, to the top of my metal storage shed. I wish I would have thought of doing that before hauling it to the top of my roof, because it was so much easier to mount it on my shed than on top of my house! Well, now my SWR is 1.4:1 or less and I hear all of the satellites 100%, from 8 degrees off the horizon. Plus I am now hitting repeaters 30 to 40 miles out! I wanted to try this on my truck next, so I put it on top of the cab, and got the same results as I did on my shed! I'll not give this antenna up...ever! What a great American Company, with wonderful support and an excellent product! As a result of this experience, I just bought the Alpha ProMaster Antenna for my HF operations, and will write a review on it as soon as I have more time.

KC5ALK Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2012 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank/Conversation starter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I received this antenna awhile back from Alpha Antenna and remember that it needed about 40 minutes assembly time. This antenna is built really well and I have used it both as a mobile and base antenna. I'd been using a copper J-Pole for years mounted to a PVC vent pipe on the roof of my house at 20 feet. I first tried the Alpha Sky Antenna on the magnet mount, and trust me, you'll want to remove it while driving! I also mounted it to another 24x3/8 stud I have permanently mounted on my cars roof. I was able to hit all of the repeaters that are within about a 35 mile range (both 2M & 440) from my car. I also made a couple QSO's on SO50 & AO27 satellites. The results I had on the sats are pretty much the same as what Alpha Antenna shows on their YouTube videos. The antenna easily unscrewed from the mount on my vehicle and I put it on my homes roof where my copper J-Pole was. I've noticed a big improvement over my copper J-Pole, as now I can even hit one repeater that's around 45 miles away. I now like listening to the sats as they pass over, and it's really nice not to lose them while they are directly over-head. Another benefit is that because it looks like something that might be used to monitor weather, my homes association doesn't bother me anylonger. I'm planning on buying another one so I'll have one on the house and car. If you want what is the coolest looking antennas around that works pretty darn good, which is built like a tank, then you should consider this one.

JP1HIS Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding SKY & SKY-M Experience at QTH & Sea  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Alpha Antenna SKY system makes satellite work fun! I had my Alpha Antenna SKY installed in 10 minutes at my QTH on a vent pipe, which I ran my coax through. I now easily working the satellite with only the internal preamp in my rig! No rotors? You bet! Their omni-directional circularly polarized technology really works! Iíve tried working with rotors controlled by software and even manually pointed some antennas at the sky as I was guessing where the best place to point the antenna might be. Rather than spending money on computers, interfaces, & rotors or holding an antenna out by hand, I now can spend all of my time enjoying communicating. As I am in the field a lot, this quick to setup and no-hands needed antenna provides a lot of versatility and frees me up to do more things. I can typically hear the signal on most satellites at 6-8 degrees and can communicate for the whole pass, even when the satellite is directly overhead. A lot of people use handhelds for satellite communications and I am no exception. I purchased the SKY-M because I had so many good experiences with the SKY system. While using the SKY-M with my HT I am still astounded that with 5 watts I am able to hold the bird from around 8-10 degrees through the entire pass while standing on the deck of my boat. Just after one of the passes I was scanning on the HT and heard a repeater while I was 45 miles off shore and held QSOs for the rest of the evening.