Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ALBRECHT 2990 - DRAGON SS 301 - MAGNUM 1012 Help

Reviews Summary for ALBRECHT 2990 - DRAGON SS 301 - MAGNUM 1012
ALBRECHT 2990 - DRAGON SS 301 - MAGNUM 1012 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $220
Description: 10 - 12 Meter Handheld Radio
5w PeP
AM/FM/SSB Modes
Handheld 10 meter radio is once again available. This model is an introductory model just released by Magnum / RF Limited. By default the radio is designed for only 10 meter frequencies, with a modification the radio can operate on 12 meters as well.

The Magnum 1012 features memory channels, frequency scan, a dual fine/course clarifier and a 6 digit frequency display.

Complete with a blue LED display, this is the best and sharpest looking 10 meter handheld currently available.

Requires 9 AA batteries. If NiCad batteries are used, you will need an AC wall charger to charge the batteries inside the radio.

You can write your own review of the ALBRECHT 2990 - DRAGON SS 301 - MAGNUM 1012.

N1MIW Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2016 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for a QRP radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This 10/12 meter HT is pretty unique (I have the Magnum 1012). I don't know why the tuning is set up the way it is, but it works. I bought this rig in used condition with the intention to use it mobile/portable while at work. My first contact with the radio was to Brazil - on an outdoor antenna inside the shack. I've heard several stations on it during a recent contest, but the 4 watts the HT puts out into a telescoping antenna can't compete with any typical modern station talking over me. I want to try it on a non-contest weekend soon and see how it performs. The receiver seems stable to me, but I do detect a little warble on my audio. That seems to be due to a battery supply issue, so the slight warble could just be normal under less than optimum voltage conditions. Using the external mobile power adapter with the built-in antenna connector may help out with performance. Like everyone else says about the stock antenna - it's useless. I'll do some more testing and possibly write another review once I gain more experience with it. But my first impression overall is a neat little radio that will be fun to use when the bands are open!

EI2HNB Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2015 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Buy it for fun.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reviewing the ALBRECHT 2990 variant.

I did not buy this radio expecting it to be a solid reliable workhorse, I bought it to have fun and to try my hand at mobile QRP stuff. With that in mind it has mostly delivered.

I'll get the bad points out of the way first...

It's got a very weird tuning system. You choose the significant digit to go up or down, so you go from 28.100 to 28.200 by default. To adjust the last two significant digits you have to press a button to select which digit to change. Also the last significant digit can only be 0 or 5. To tune either side of this you must use the clarifier knob.

Officially it can transmit at 4W on sideband, but you must have you mic gain turned all the way up to get anywhere near that. This means your voice might get a little bit distorted.

RX sensitivity isn't great.

The supplied antenna is rubbish.

Now on to the good...

It works. Yes, the tuning system is a pain and the RX sensitivity ain't great, but it still works and you will make decent contacts. I live in Dublin and I have made contacts as far away as Russia with this radio,

It's great for experimenting with antenna designs and you can interface with a computer/tablet to do data modes.

The build quality is pretty good.

It takes 9 AA batteries and has a built in charging circuit.

I paid 180 for mine and for the price it is a fun radio that gets a lot of use. I paired mine with a Clansman PRC-319 10m whip antenna which is much better than the supplied rubber duck antenna.

It's no KX3, but it's 1/6 of the price of a KX3. Get one, pair it with a decent antenna and keep it in your car/briefcase and then you can get on air whenever you get a chance.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 13:00 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now 2 Magnums. I used them 2 monthes ago from Vatican city. i could make vy nice contacts with it on 10m: Scandinavia, Belgium, Spain, UK, of course Italy. It's a wonderfull little "toy".

W5NNN Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2012 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Maybe junk, but fun junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the radiozing version, which mostly operates as expected.

These radios have many, many detractors. Perhaps rightfully so. But, my first QSO was almost 1,300 miles. From a cheap heandheld transceiver. What else can I say?

Tuning is not fun with buttons (no keypad...), and the supplied antenna is useless. But I knew that before I bought it. The RIT "clarifyer" really needs a center notch.

This radio and I will do lots of hiking and camping together with my MFJ 1810T antenna..

G1DRP Rating: 0/5 Dec 6, 2011 01:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice concept. Plagued with faults.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the Albrecht version and it's awful.
The VCO is unstable so the RX and TX SSB audio changes pitch in an irregular manner.
If you use the supplied antenna and get your face anywhere near the radio, it picks up RF and transmits an awful noise. A speaker microphone is essential.
Strongish SSB signals overload the receiver and sound distorted. You can reduce the RF Gain but then you won't receive very much at all.
The supplied AA battery case is a joke. It suffers badly from intermittant connection problems.
An internal heatsink screw, which is badly positioned, has caused the back case of the rig to bulge and consequently it has cracked.
All in all, it's overpriced junk.
5 memories are a joke and the way they are laid out is ludicrous.
OK it will do 500Hz steps, but only within the 10KHz channel steps.
As an AM or FM CB radio it's probably just about acceptable but forget it for SSB use.
A realistic price would be around 50 or $80 and not a penny more.
These are just my opinions and experiences. I wish I had not broken the warranty seal and had a replacement or a refund.
Mine was bought new in August 2011, so it's not an early one.

M3FLP Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Albrecht version of this Radio from a local dealer. So far with the supplied antenna, I have spoken to people all over Europe and into Russia from the UK using the supplied battery pack with AA rechargables etc.

Very impressed and will go with me everywhere in my emergency "Go Bag" with my FT-60 and FT-817, you just never know!