Reviews Categories | | Help

Reviews Summary for
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the .

YD0NSI Rating: 1/5 Sep 2, 2012 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of them..One does not TX after about one month of using it and the other warbles on both TX and RX. Not worth sending them back to the USA to fix them. Poor QUALITY Made in USA products ?! :(

K7OVG Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
I find this to be a good to great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I enlisted the aid of a friend who lived several miles away to help me evaluate this radio. There seemed to be a few problems right out of the box.
A. The 10M band seemed to be on the verge of oscillation.
B. The SSB transmitted and received audio seemed wobbly.
C. The supplied antenna was not an efficient radiator.
The rest of the transceiver was within specs as measured with a Cushman, I.E. (power output, deviation, receiver sensitivity (much more on ten due to the aforementioned oscillation), selectivity. I contacted the factory. The factory advised me to pack it up and ship it to California. I did so, and within a day of the radio's arrival I received a call from the tech requesting I re-confirm the problems I was happened. Both the factory rep and the tech were very helpful and an example of good customer service. Within a week the 1012 was back. All the problems I had found with the radio had been banished. No more wobbly sounding sideband operation, good audio etc. My friend, who lives 2 miles away, was so impressed with the radio's operation since it had been to the factory HE was going to get one also. I'm going to have to get the MFJ antenna/s. Oh, before I forget, my battery pack for the ancient standard 558 HT works just fine! Iím going to try some psk / mfsk ops with my cell phone when the cables come. Now if the band would just cooperate by having a good opening....

N8SUT Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2012 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice concept, poor quality.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was very excited to try this radio as I was looking for something to get on ssb HF that I could use portable, mobile, and take to work with me. An HT fits the bill for all these tasks, and the dual band option looked good. I should have known better than to buy something like this. The temptation and promises of good operation and some promising youtube videos swayed me to think It may be O.K. for occasional use. I was not looking to replace my base or use it on 11m, just have an easy convenient option for days of good 10m band openings.

What a dissappointment, and boy, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER! Total piece of Junk right out of the box. It Squealed on SSB transmit (mic gain down all the way, no audio being introduced to mic), audio warbles and distorts, frequency modulates while in ssb during audio modulation, AM was unuseable, garbled, and it drifts all over the band like a toy kite in a hurricane. I called the MFG for some help. They didn't ask any questions at all. Instead, they insisted that I send it in for a repair and promptly gave me an RMA number. Must be a common issue for them as quick as they jumped on it. Not even one question about how I was trying to use it, my setup, or anything else. I was then told repairs took 15 WORKING days and a week to ship back to my location. I was told they could expedite this to 10 days for the repair at no additional charge due to it being a new radio. Not wanting to go 6 weeks to a month without the radio, I asked for a replacement or exchange since it didn't work out of the box. I even offered to pay shipping for the new radio and ship the defective back to them on my dime! No dice...This radio gets an F. Maybe an F- because it is worse than a failure, it is an embaressment of a product.

Again, not willing to wait the expedited 10 bench days plus the 7-10 day round trip shipping time to get the radio just to "maybe" work, I took it to the bench, fired up my screwdriver, and adjusted the carrier suppression which was totally screwed by the factory, adjusted the AM modulation, again, way off, fixed a bad externally jumpered connection on the board--which was the cause of the squeal, and gave it a decent alignment. Now after doing this it gets a good solid D+. FM was O.K., sounded decent, It Still FM's on SSB and still a little distorted on AM. Not something you could use on 10m or 12m by anyone's standards. Bottom line, It is still a turd.

Please save your money.

Let me leave you with my final thoughts about this product:

The Mithbusters TV show has proven, you can in fact polish a turd, but at the end of the day, it is still just a piece of..........well you get the idea! Junk drawer here you come! 73.

WA8EBM Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2011 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Interesting radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been waiting for the Elecraft KX3 to be released and figure it's going to be quite a while. Thought I would fill the void with one of these things since 10 and 12 are in such good shape.
Ordered it from a place called the "Truckers-Store" and had it in a few days.
My first impressions, the battery holder and optional external power/antenna dongle are a very tight fit. Put some silicone grease on the tracks otherwise they were almost impossible to slide on and off. They will probably loosen up but are just plastic against plastic. I put 9 nimh AA's in the battery box and had a little trouble putting the shell halves together and maintaining electrical continuity with a small metal contact in the bottom of the holder. It closed up tight and appears to be working okay.
Charging the battery pack appears to be possible through an undocumented or supported charging jack on the side of the pack. I plugged in an old 12v 200ma wall wart from an Icom hand held, which I think was a 2at or micro 2at and it trickles in a few ma's through the internal limiting circuit built into the battery box. I fed 13.8v current limited to 200ma into the contacts on the bottom of the battery box and that should give me a charge in about 10 or 12 hours on the 2000 mah nimh's.
I think they have a drop in charger out there somewhere in the world for it.
On the air I checked out the signal on my P3 pan adapter on my K3 and it looked good. With the highest mic gain and external 13.8v input there appears to be some FM'ing on the SSB signal. I seemed to be able to find the sweet spot on setting thebmic gain and distance from the mic and it sounds very acceptable. There are some mods on the web to alleviate this problem with a small cap and resistor. I wii wait and decide if the risk of damage is worth the benefit.
I tried an old Realitic speaker/mic which plugged right in and works great.
There are lots of YouTube videos on operation and a simple mode change mod that only involves popping off the rubber cover on the PTT switch and a hot iron and some solder wick.
The included rubber duck antenna is not useable for any serious hamming. I bought a couple MFJ 1810 and 1812 4 foot whips for the radio. That is another review but they do work. I wish there was an actual tuning knob but you can get used to the up/down and step selection buttons. There is 500hz resolution and the clarifier easily tunes this range and contrary to some reports it is no just a RIT but also tracks the XIT so you arebrightbon frequency.
My first contact was inside the shack feeding the 3 element SteppIR and it was 10 meter SSB with a ham in Engand, about 3500 miles. I wasn't the loudest but 100 percent.
I then made up a short wire counter poise and clipped it on the bnc of the 1810t 10 meter whip and went out on the deck (while it was of course snowing and blowing) and proceeded to make 6 contacts with 6 fairly strong Canadian stations during their contest. I got some true s meter reports from them of S2 to S5. They were all between 1500 and 2000 miles away.
So that's it for now. I would buy it again and my next endeavor is to hook it up to my net book and give it a whirl on the digital modes. It is really a fun radio.
Mike WA8EBM

VE3GS Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Very Good For the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a Good Ham Always travel with at least my Dual band Portable 2 mtrs/70 cm Radio

And Now when HF conditions are getting better and better I want some new Radio to play with and because the Airlines now Charging for bags I wanted some VERY portable HF Radio and not too Expensive to travel with, My Military Man Pack (VX-1210) at 7 lb or 3.3 Kilos + Accs is not that light anymore and the FT-817 is a really good choice but is $700 radio!
I will try it one day!

So to play on 10 mtrs and have a radio for the Highway In Mexico where everyone has a CB radio I went for the Magnum 1012

I got the Radio s/n 192041 I can not tell the date of production by the Serial number!

The Radio comes from factory with jumpers 2-3 in and 4-5 in and on power on shows CODE 0

This makes the Radio Dual band 12 and 10 mtrs,

On The Service Monitor (IFR COM-120 B) if the Radio is power from external 13.5 VDC has a power output of 4.5 Watts on AM/FM and on SSB up to 5 Watts, RX sensitivity is as per Specs Sheet, the FM Deviation is 2 Khz and on AM shows 75 % to 90 % on the + side in the - Side shows 100% with mike gain at full, for normal Voice QSO 3/4 of Mic Gain has good TX audio!

After about 15 mins of use the Frequency Error is Very Good, when the radio is first power on the freq error is +250 hz, but as the radio gets warm the freqs error gets to specs

When the Radio gets power from the alkaline battery pack the power output is 3.5 watts on AM/FM and on SSB about the same power output

If you power the radio from a Ni-Mh Pack the power output is 1.5 watts for AM/FM and SSB that is because the Ni-Mh pack has only 10.5 Volts but the battery charge will last very long time from a 2400 mAh Cell pack

The antenna that I use is the MFJ-1810T That will work very good with Ground wire as per the instructions on the MFJ Antenna sheet

But this antenna for 28.000Mhz to 29.600 Mhz so if you want to use the radio in the CB band you will need to extend the antenna a little bit and check your SWR at your 27 Mhz freq.

The battery Case can be made to a Rechargeable Pack if you install Ni-Mh cells, I used the Energizer 2400 mAh Cell and to charge the pack I used a 12 volts 300 mAh plug in charger 16 hrs charge rate, you will have to get the Plug and the Charger separately and make the plug-in charger your self!

I will be using the Radio from Los Cabos Mexico This Dec 2011 and see how the radio works in real life Portable Operations,

I have been working with portable Radios for over 10 years, Using all kinds of portable HF, My latest pack is the Vertex VX-1210 Man pack Radio, for over 6 years, using all modes inc/ Digimodes,

If any of you have try a better portable antenna, pls let me know, the one on Ebay is the same as MFJ and by the time you get it in , it will cost you about the Same,

I wil see if I can make the Speaker mic work with a Heil HC-4 Element and see how it work, of make another better spkr.mic for this radio!

Thx
VE3GS

M0CRU Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2011 07:42 Send this review to a friend
loads of cheap fun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mines the "super radio ss301" same radio as the 1012, dragon ss301 etc and its a great little sota toy, I made a dipole with some wire I had lying around, strung it between 2 shrubs in my yard and was into Poland,Germany etc straight away. Don't expect an ft5000,as its not but for $165 to my door. It's very good value and great fun.

XF3PAS Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2011 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Ok, Could Be Better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have Own Two of this units under the brand TITAN ROADPRO they can be modified to cover
10 and 12 meter Good for Qrp with external antenna external power supply and with an external mic
the radio feel cheap (softh plastic)the control nobs are hard to play one of them is dual and very sensitive (dificult to acces with Big Fingers)
the battery case tender to failure doing intermitent contac, the external DC port (same for charging if you are using recharger cells)fails too,when the battery case or DC cord miss cotac you lost the freccuency you where at there is no memory so you have to scroll again
to back the frecc you where at
one of mine Dies on the modification
the second works ok
I realy wish they get a better quality It feels
over priced But is the only Handheld with SSB
hoping Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu Bring out some with more quality

VE3TYA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 18:06 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I Just purchased this radio and i find it is an excellent ten/twelve meter radio. would be good for mountain topping. with a dipole of course and a 12 volt external power supply.
I give it a 5/5 because there is no one else making these portable radio for ten meters or twelve for that matter. Cant wait for ten to open up. I live in an apt complex and the electrical noise is bad but will copy psk on ten.. good radio... VE7TYB Victoria B.C.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2011 01:28 Send this review to a friend
10 to 12m ssb. Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi all, I had, and have yet the SS-201. Since a few monthes I have also the Magnum 1012. Simply great. More complete as the 201. I could make qso with russia with his little original antenna.