Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HM-12 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HM-12 Microphone
Heil HM-12 Microphone Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $70.00
Description: New for 2011 - full-range dynamic mic. Unique internal shock mount for
the element, as well as two layers of "pop" protection.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/hm12/

You can write your own review of the Heil HM-12 Microphone.

N2DAY Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Great W/TenTEC Eagle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a TenTec mic but TenTec isn't taking any new orders . The Heil HM 12 is also a dynamic mic , I ordered it and I'm getting excellent reports on my audio , and its plug and play

WB0OAF Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2015 08:12 Send this review to a friend
YOU DECIDE WHATS GOOD FOR A MIC!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
JUST THE FACTS: I’ve done quite a bit over 35 years of Electronics Repair and Service, now retired. always loved TV & VCR Repairs, 2-way radio for Motorola, Pro-Audio Sound, Music, Keyboards, Even had a Yamaha, and Roland Franchise for the In-Warranty repairs. Taught Guitar, play the guitar today, my Hearing is excellent for Audio Sound articulation and intonation.

Tested and experimented with many a microphone, the HM-12? Well, I use the ICOM 7600 now with a Heil Goldline Studio cartridge and an HC-5 Cartridge switchable. A condenser MIC is nice, but picks up too much background noise. I always heard the big raves and reviews about the HM-12 Genesis Mic. Just had to give it a spin.

The Audio Curve for the Heil Goldline Studio is like 60 Hz-to-16 Khz right? The HM-12 is advertised as 80 Hz-to-14Khz. Who can tell the difference between the two with the 2 Khz difference on either end? I did!

The Settings on the 7600 ICOM BASS a –3 and TREBLE a +3 with the Goldline. Perfect Audio on Transmit, maybe a 3db Compression Boost for Emphasis overall. (Not Needed really) plenty of Articulation.

With those settings, I plugged the HM-12 in, thinking is should be not quite a sharp, same amount of Gain to drive the transmitter. Boy was I surprised, Muffled, Bassey Audio galore. Hardly any Highs, had to turn the TREBLE to +5 & the BASS all the way down to Minus 5. Now it sounds pretty good, actually like a Muddy sounding Goldline. Articulation in a separate receiver just wasn’t there with the advertised 4db Boost at 2000 hz, like the Goldine. Somethings wrong with this Mic? Needs a $300.00 Equalizer! That’s what everybody does, EQ it!

Okay- I returned the Audio Settings back to where we started. Unscrewed the ball, what have we got here? Cupped my hand over the Cartridge, Talking and monitoring the Audio, wow, there it is, the advertised Frequency Response in my cupped hand! But it’s covered up with the Foam Rubber crap on the Cartridge! I removed it all and the Drive went up 10 db, High Frequency went up significantly, even noticed a slight Bass boost! So my question is, If the Mic Element produces that Audio with a Cupped Hand, then why cover it up!!? it exists, use it….

So I throttled the BASS back down to -5, YEP- MINUS 5, Set the TREBLE at a +1, Plugged the Goldline back in, Identical Microphone, I mean, IDENTICAL. Switched them back & Forth many times, identical, now I have another duplicate Goldline Mic…Just looks different is all..

Here’s the FIX to make it work right: Just Unscrew the Big Ball, and grab the little Black FOAM square Stuck on the Dust cover, gently tear it off, and replace the dust cover. Don’t glue it in; it’ll stay put by itself. Or, you can take all that garbage off there, and put a little piece of Black Nylon Stocking or cheese cloth for dust, then you’ll have a real microphone! You can hear the Punch and the Sparkle now like you’re supposed to. The Articulation is there, wasn’t there before.
So, that’s why you can’t hear the audio loss on both ends of the Audio Curve of that HM-12, out of the box; it’s covered up with too much foam rubber! One Thin Layer, second Square layer, then inside the Metal ball, another foam rubber layer, then they even include a Foam “p” Pop Filter to put over the metal ball, 4 Layers of FOAM RUBBER?!! Over Kill, not for me.

My wife said, what are you always doing with those microphones? I said, I’m making them better. She commented after I explained all the above to her, She said, you wanna know something? I said what..?
You could make 10 different Microphones, Same Cartridge installed, just do what you just did, install different layers of Foam, plug Holes, Open Holes, change the sound of that same Cartridge 10 or more different ways, and nobody would know the difference! WHOA……. then resell it..
So what you are saying is, you could sell the $400.00 cartridge with less Foam rubber, and put the same Cartridge in a low end Mic, cover it up with Foam Rubber to change the Frequency Response, Label it differently, paint it a different color and sell it for under a $100.00, nobody would know any better!. Do you suppose…naw, that’s not happening, they wouldn’t…..let’s leave that one alone.

So what do you do with a 28 hz –to –18 Khz PR-40 Mic, when your Transmit Power is dropped by 30% on the Lower Frequency range that no one will hear anyhow?
Most Ham receivers are usually set to 2.4 or 2.5 KHZ all the time, they won’t hear anymore than 300-to-3000 hz with a Wide Range Studio Mic., their receivers are all too narrow, or their speakers are too tiny and non-resonant!
Course if your hearing is no good, or you use a hearing aid; none of the above review is for you anyway. Wanna buy a HM-12 cheap? Maybe I’ll keep it, use it on my Guitar.

Suggestion, Stick with your Hand Mic that came with the radio, it’s all you really ever need. You’re only impressing yourself. Got it?

73 WB0OAF

W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Opted for a HM12 from cheapham.com for $59 plus shipping along with a 8 pin mike cable with 1/4" PTT input for my Kenwood 590S. My PTT floor switch is a Heil Genesis S3. Mike gain, without the processor, increased from 47 to 60. Processor input went to 74 and output to 40. Kept the compression setting well below 10 and the ALC well below 25. Tried using the High Boost setting to increase high range settings but audio check with a friend revealed the audio was "a little sharp." Turned off the High Boost and used the Concentional (Menu 30, as recommened by KWood) and report was "good audio. . . sounds just like yourself." Mounted on a 16" straight swivel boom. Great product. Well happy with the difference in cost of a PR781. Will give it a workout during the ARRL SSBDX contest.

WW1I Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Great value....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this mic with my TS-590S. I have never had a negative audio quality report with the HM12. I use it with a boom and floor mic, or pop it off the boom and use it in my hand with the PTT switch on the mic. I prefer it to any mic without the PTT switch on the mic. Very handy indeed. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would not be happy with this mic during a SSB QSO. It does a great job and at a price of around $70. Can't beat that!

Bottom line, if you buy one, you will be happy with it.

KE6EE Rating: 0/5 Jun 30, 2014 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Died after a year  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm mostly a CW op. Used the Heil HM-12 a few times on the air and put it aside for a year. When I tried to use it again it did not work. No abuse. Yes it was connected properly. Appears to me that it was defective but the defect did not show up until the warranty was up. Most mics are quite dependable, but not this one. Replaced with a less expensive Kenwood from which I get excellent audio reports.

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have added my Heil HM-12 to my KenwoodTS-2000. I have received excellent, unsolicited comments using 5 to 10 dB of compression with the TRANSMIT EQ OFF. When you go to compression mode, the processing automatically shaved off a little low end requiring no additional EQ apparently. Set your ALC to fill but NOT exceed the shaded area and wait for the compliments to come in. Make sure your transmit bandwidth is set to 3 kHz. You may also like the "conventional" transmit EQ setting.
73!

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2014 13:16 Send this review to a friend
HM-12 Good SSB. FM????  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great sounding mic fro Heil's entry level tier but let's face it..for SSB you can use almost anything including cheap 20 dollar mics and sound great...and I have. The vox on my Kenwood 2000 is a little wanky so I like a PTT button and the HM-12 has a nice quiet one. For the 2000, use Bob's quick EQ and gain settings and you'll be fine. Has anyone used this mic for FM? I'm not sure which setting is best on the 2000. Low, Med or High. That gain is adjusted separately from AM/SSB. My only criticism is the HM-12 could be built better. Mine got knocked off the boom, hit the desk and the mic cartridge popped out and was lying inside the grill, Took a second reposition it, but this would never happen on an SM-58 or a mike using one piece cartridge construction like the Nady and Apex mics which, while cheap, sound great.

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Value From Heil  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this microphone recently for my Yaesu FTDX5000D. I used the settings @ Heil Sound on the web where there is a easy to read and understand chart for each of the menu settings that need to be adjusted for the HM-12 & the FTDX5K. Audio reports were all positive with comments saying best I have heard you on with this radio. I might add the Ten Tec 8pin radio's like the OMNI VII and Orion use the same wiring and cable. As a P.S for what it is worth the 5pin din plug on the rear of both the Yaesu & Ten Tec models menitoned above are inter changeable also so once you get say a Signalink USB wired up for a Yaesu it will plug right into the Ten Tec no change needed.

MW0CVW Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Good microphome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice microphone and works great with the Berhinger audio mixer and W2IHY microphone switch

Good solid construction and clear sounding audio when listening on a separate receiver

Much better than standard stock microphones.

Bob and Jerry at Heil answered all my questions and gave me some useful tips great support:))

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 19:49 Send this review to a friend
It Does Rock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had about a month to play with this. Recently solicited on air comments using each of the xmit EQ settings on my Kenwood 570d. Most popular settings were "No EQ" and "Conventional."

I use about 10dB of compression and no EQ and the reports have been glowing. BTW don't trust what you hear in the monitor. It is not accurate. Have someone record your audio at different settings.

It's also a nice looking mic!