Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HM-12 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HM-12 Microphone
Heil HM-12 Microphone Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $70.00
Description: New for 2011 - full-range dynamic mic. Unique internal shock mount for
the element, as well as two layers of "pop" protection.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/hm12/

You can write your own review of the Heil HM-12 Microphone.

WW1I Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Great value....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this mic with my TS-590S. I have never had a negative audio quality report with the HM12. I use it with a boom and floor mic, or pop it off the boom and use it in my hand with the PTT switch on the mic. I prefer it to any mic without the PTT switch on the mic. Very handy indeed. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would not be happy with this mic during a SSB QSO. It does a great job and at a price of around $70. Can't beat that!

Bottom line, if you buy one, you will be happy with it.

KE6EE Rating: 0/5 Jun 30, 2014 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Died after a year  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm mostly a CW op. Used the Heil HM-12 a few times on the air and put it aside for a year. When I tried to use it again it did not work. No abuse. Yes it was connected properly. Appears to me that it was defective but the defect did not show up until the warranty was up. Most mics are quite dependable, but not this one. Replaced with a less expensive Kenwood from which I get excellent audio reports.

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have added my Heil HM-12 to my KenwoodTS-2000. I have received excellent, unsolicited comments using 5 to 10 dB of compression with the TRANSMIT EQ OFF. When you go to compression mode, the processing automatically shaved off a little low end requiring no additional EQ apparently. Set your ALC to fill but NOT exceed the shaded area and wait for the compliments to come in. Make sure your transmit bandwidth is set to 3 kHz. You may also like the "conventional" transmit EQ setting.
73!

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2014 13:16 Send this review to a friend
HM-12 Good SSB. FM????  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great sounding mic fro Heil's entry level tier but let's face it..for SSB you can use almost anything including cheap 20 dollar mics and sound great...and I have. The vox on my Kenwood 2000 is a little wanky so I like a PTT button and the HM-12 has a nice quiet one. For the 2000, use Bob's quick EQ and gain settings and you'll be fine. Has anyone used this mic for FM? I'm not sure which setting is best on the 2000. Low, Med or High. That gain is adjusted separately from AM/SSB. My only criticism is the HM-12 could be built better. Mine got knocked off the boom, hit the desk and the mic cartridge popped out and was lying inside the grill, Took a second reposition it, but this would never happen on an SM-58 or a mike using one piece cartridge construction like the Nady and Apex mics which, while cheap, sound great.

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Value From Heil  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this microphone recently for my Yaesu FTDX5000D. I used the settings @ Heil Sound on the web where there is a easy to read and understand chart for each of the menu settings that need to be adjusted for the HM-12 & the FTDX5K. Audio reports were all positive with comments saying best I have heard you on with this radio. I might add the Ten Tec 8pin radio's like the OMNI VII and Orion use the same wiring and cable. As a P.S for what it is worth the 5pin din plug on the rear of both the Yaesu & Ten Tec models menitoned above are inter changeable also so once you get say a Signalink USB wired up for a Yaesu it will plug right into the Ten Tec no change needed.

MW0CVW Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Good microphome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice microphone and works great with the Berhinger audio mixer and W2IHY microphone switch

Good solid construction and clear sounding audio when listening on a separate receiver

Much better than standard stock microphones.

Bob and Jerry at Heil answered all my questions and gave me some useful tips great support:))

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 19:49 Send this review to a friend
It Does Rock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had about a month to play with this. Recently solicited on air comments using each of the xmit EQ settings on my Kenwood 570d. Most popular settings were "No EQ" and "Conventional."

I use about 10dB of compression and no EQ and the reports have been glowing. BTW don't trust what you hear in the monitor. It is not accurate. Have someone record your audio at different settings.

It's also a nice looking mic!

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2012 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Output Lower Than stock Mic  Time owned: months
Just installed the HM-12 today. I used a Kenwood 570-D rig. The mic level setting on this radio when used with the Kenwood stock hand held mic is "50." I needed to crank to "80" to get the same ALC deflection using the HM-12. Does anyone know if the HM-12 is made to have a lower output?

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2012 20:50 Send this review to a friend
This Mic Rocks!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this Mic for my TS-590 and for what it costs I do not think you can beat it. I own a few of the Heil line products HM-12,PR-781,ProElite 6 Head set and ICM for my IC-746.
When I started to use the HM-12 I thought to myself if this sounds this good the PR-781 should sound great, well I was told quite often can't here a difference and if they did I would ask them does it sound like $100.00 difference and not one said yes. Sorry Bob but thanks for offering a great Mic at a great price!

All the best 73!

VE3WCQ

WB9AZA Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2012 16:39 Send this review to a friend
This Mic Rocks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I always believed that the OEM microphones are the best when matched with the radio such as my FTDX5000D and FT2000, until now!
I had been using the Yaesu MD100 mics with excellent results but always wanted a hands free boom mic.
The Heil HM12 fits the role perfectly after you set up the rigs EQ. This microphone rocks and I get great audio reports with it. I can switch it between both rigs and it works perfectly. No rf at all when running 1500 watts.
Great job Bob on this one, all for under 100 bucks.