Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HM-12 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HM-12 Microphone
Heil HM-12 Microphone Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $70.00
Description: New for 2011 - full-range dynamic mic. Unique internal shock mount for
the element, as well as two layers of "pop" protection.
More info: http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/hm12/

You can write your own review of the Heil HM-12 Microphone.

M0ZAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Can't praise this microphone enough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this Heil HM-12 Microphone for only a week, but I've had nothing but top notch audio reports on SSB and FM. I will not go into the specs of this microphone as these can be seen on the data sheet from the product web site.

I bought this Microphone because I wanted better audio than the standard stock microphone that came with the FT-857D. I wanted a Heil Microphone and after reading the reports on eHam this fitted into my budget, well so I thought. In the UK it retails at 69.95, add another 34.96 for the CC-1-YM patch lead to connect to my FT-857D, HS-2 PTT ergonomic switch 37.95 and a Studio desk mic stand at 26 the price soon adds up (I did not buy the Heil studio mic stand as that retails at around 70) That said its still a very reasonable price for a Heil microphone.

Settings on my FT-857D
Speech Proc: 35
SSB Mic Gain 50
FM Mic Gain: 35
TX Carrier Point LSB +100Hz
TX Carrier Point USB +100Hz
DSP MIC EQ: Both
2.3 Collins IF filter fitted.

I think that this is a good starting point but for best results get a local ham to give you audio reports and adjust to suit your own voice characteristics.

All in all I'm most impressed with this purchase and would recommend this microphone to any ham that needs a good microphone to add to their station setup. Go a head and treat yourself, you will be glad you did.

KJ4VVU Rating: 3/5 Feb 10, 2012 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Picked up RFI  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The mic never had a good sound when you monitored in the headphones on the Icom 756 Pro. It did get good reports from DX stations until it started to pick up RFI. I've tried ferrites on all the wires/coax's to no avail. Went back to a $10 Trans Continental Studio mic from Skycraft. That mic has always worked great with the Icom 756 Pro and the Yaseu FT 857D.

2I0VFO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2012 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great microphone , When I switched from the HM10 to the HM12 I had to pull back all the settings on the W2IHY 8 band and the eq plus ,
My shack is just beside the kitchen wheres theres loads of noise and still its quite the eq does help I suppose, But never the less for the price it is excellent I cant praise it enough . Joe MI0GTM

K8JAG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 07:27 Send this review to a friend
A great Heil Microphone for a great price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this microphone, HB-1 Boom, and the FS-3 footswitch this past weekend. I am completely pleased with the purchase. I am getting great audio reports and having the boom and footswitch make operating so much nicer and more comfortable.

Again, if you are a new Ham, or are interested in your first aftermarket microphone, you cannot go wrong with this microphone.

To see this microphone set up. Look me up on QRZ.com. I have a picture of my shack with the microphone well on display.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2011 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
***Have an FT-950 that already has tons of equalization, but this Mic actually improves on that. Don't need processing most of the time, getting great results, DX or Ragchew. Occasionally to break a pileup I will kick in the 950's processing, but only occasionally.

***Use it with a boom & foot-switch most of the time, but find it "OK" as a handheld if needed.

***Price, versatility, quality, features, frequency response, etc, make this Heil a winner!

K3DOS Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Good DX Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The new mic looks great and has excellent frequency response for working DX. I especially like the internal windscreen feature. The only drawback is that it's a little heavy for a hand mic, although it's balanced better than the dual element Goldline it replaces in my shack.

The HM-12 also works fine for rag chewing even with the significant mid-range boost. If I could have only one mic it would be the HM-12, and you sure can't beat the price!

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 13:27 Send this review to a friend
What? A Heil mic for UNDER $100?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am normally feeding my Heil PR40 into a ProSonus TubePRE preamp with a Tung-Sol 12AX7 tube and into my MacBook Pro for Skype, video/audio conferences, and podcasting. Nothing else compares to the PR40's warmth and reproduction of the human voice - and that's an opinion shared by professionals and us hobbyists alike. But I was told to try this new, sub-$100 HM-12 mic from Heil out, so I just received one. It is an amazing microphone - at ANY price.

Heil has tricked this mic out with two internal layers of "pop" and wind protection - as well as having some shock protection for the element. It is VERY natural-sounding. Spec sheet claims 80Hz - 14kHz response, with a great almost 35db rear rejection, which practically eliminates undesired noises from your station/room. I am using a Heil 4-pin - to - 3-pin XLR adapter. For ham use, it uses the Heil CC-1 cables.

For my non-ham uses, this is an incredible bargain. A podcaster can purchase four of these for in-studio guests for the same price as one PR40. (I'm KEEPING my PR40, however ... ) For hams, this high-output dynamic element should kick butt on about any low impedance transceiver.

A Heil mic for under a hundred bucks ... What is this world coming to? (grin)