Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Treetop Product Detector SB-51 Help

Reviews Summary for Treetop Product Detector SB-51
Treetop Product Detector SB-51 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $62.00
Description: Product Detector for the 388/51J receivers
More info: http://www.treetopcircuits.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PD3

You can write your own review of the Treetop Product Detector SB-51.

G6NJJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2014 14:35 Send this review to a friend
I read the reviews re: adaptor .thought I,d give one a try out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a Collins 51j4 receiver, which I had coveted since being an swl in the 60,s,and initially was disappointed with it,s performance,finding it difficult to tune in sideband signals ,even with the rf gain backed off.it was,nt as easy as my SP600JX,however I read the reviews for the Treetop circuits adaptor so I got one and fitted it within an hour due to the very detailed handbook supplied,wow what a difference,it,s great now. thank you

W2RKJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Collins R-388 that's in great shape regardless its age. I always preferred using it over my other receivers because itís so quiet. The fact it didn't have a product detector was a slight bump in its operation. With the installation of the Treetop SB-51 Product Detector this receiver is even better. The SB-51 was very easy to install and setup. Once installed the operation is effortless. If you want to listen to AM turn off the BFO. If you want one of the sidebands turn it back on. Concerning setup, I set the BFO pitch to 1 spot and that spot works for both upper and lower sideband. No having to re-trim on either band or mode changes. Life is indeed good. My RF gain is now turned way up and my is meter alive and well as it should be, the only reason it's slightly reduced is because of the hash as would be expected. This is truly an outstanding product and I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

W2HLD Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Just plain amazing!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a 51J4 that was modified with the conventional Product Detector and AVC designs found in '60's era CQ Magazine and commonally described on the web. The key issue I had with this approach was an anoying popping sound when a received station keyed or voxed up. The only way around this was to "ride" the RF Gain control. It also seemed that the audio gain needed to be raised somewhat higher than I would have expected.
I decided to install the SB-51 and returned the J4 to its original circuit design, less the product detector and AVC modification. The SB-51 is very simple to install and when I fired it up was just amazed at the performance. My J4 now performs as expected on AM and CW but also provides excellent reception on SSB. This is a great addition to the 51J4.. super results with very little expense and ease of installation.
I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this product. If you want great ssb reception on your vintage Collins radio like the J4, you can't do better than the SB-51.

W3MV Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Better than hoped for...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love the old Collins receivers and when I picked up a nice example of the R-388/51J3 I was thrilled.

Now besides being a ham I'm a SWL as well and the R-388 fits the bill. As most folks know without a product detector many of the older receivers have you compromise when tuning SSB and operating the R-388 was no exception.

After doing some pretty extensive research I was directed to Treetop's SB-51 and after reading the installation manual and circuit description I decided to give it a try.

The instructions are clear and well illustrated and the SB-51 itself is well built and shipped with safe arrival in mind. Following the instructions it took me less than an hour to install and the results were "better than hoped for..." It's like adding a new dimension to an old friend after adding the SB-51 to the R-388.

I was so impressed with the SB-51 I bought the SB-75 to add to my 75A-2 and I'm glad I did. If you're like me and you love the old Collins receivers buy the SB-51 for the R-388/51J-3 and sideband listening will be a pleasurable experience and not a compromise adjustment.

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great.. easy mod to do... only one draw back.... the noise limiter can not be used " iN " with this modification because produce distorted audio... but S 9 plus signals on SSB do not saturate the receiver....

Excellent customer service... I am very happy with this product..

XE1ZLG

K8CIX Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2011 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Super and easy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to install. Works like a charm!