Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M
CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99
Description: CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA

The Chameleon HF Multiband Zepp Antenna has been specially designed for apartments, condominiums, homeowners associations, deed restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions), ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders, Emergency Preparedness and attic antenna installation. It’s a true base station or portable stealth antenna.

The antenna covers 10M to 80M and is 75' long. It’s composed of a 25' matching section and a 50' radiator. To eliminated possible RFI the antenna is attached to a UNUN 1:1. Because of the 25’ matching section the antenna can be directly connected on the antenna tuner with the provided 1’ jumper cable (RG-8X) (recommended).

The antenna can be installed in different configurations such as:

Horizontal
Vertical
Sloped
Inverted “V”
Inverted “L”
Horizontal Loop
Vertical Loop
Vertically twisted around a fiberglass or wooden core

Because of its particular design the Zepp antenna can be installed on the edge of a wooden fence, in a tree, on a house rooftop in a loop pattern, in an attic in a vertical loop pattern, twisted around a flagpole or even directly on the grass (with limited communication range and performance).

When rolled in a bundle the antenna can easily fit into a lunch box, backpack, suit case or any other handbags. The deployment time is between 2 minutes to about 10 minutes depending of the chosen antenna configuration.

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency: 10M - 80M
Power: 250 W SSB
RF Connection: PL-259
Input Impedance: 50 Ohms
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Pattern: Subject to configuration
Polarization: Linear
Height: 75’ (50’ radiator - 25’ matching section)
Weight: 2 lb.
Mounting Configuration: None
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M.

N6KZB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2015 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Working good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At a Winlink gateway today we removed a previous 4:1 UnUn system feeding a random wire. Replaced with the Zepp with counterpoise wire.

Antenna base is 15 foot above ground, then runs 25 foot vertical. At that point it runs the remainder horizontal with a 15 degree down angle to a fence at 15 foot above ground.

Tuned with an MFJ 929 the Winlink gateway operates fine on 80 40 30 20 and 17 meters.

A common mode filter is installed at antenna end and zero RFI issues that we had before. So far coverage is the same with less noise noticed on 40 and 30 meters.

VE9SK Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2015 17:03 Send this review to a friend
VE9SK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the antenna a few months ago, and didn't have an opportunity to try it out, however today I had the opportunity to try it out in a portable setup. I was able to get the antenna up about 25ft or so, with the radiator end about 7 to 8ft off the ground. I was using a TS-480SAT and the internal antenna tuner was able to tune the antenna flawlessly from 80M through to 10M. Great portable antenna and if necessary could be used permanently. Also note that the price is fair and construction is very rugged, and suspect it would withstand harsh North East, and Atlantic Canada weather.

KA7PHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2015 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the pleasure of using Chameleon Antennas on several occasions and have had to fall back to the Zepp on more than one occasion due to HOA rules and regulations, nosey neighbors and just ease of setup while I planned a more complete and permanent base station setup.

The best permanent installation was in a slope configuration to 35' Cotton wood tree that was kind enough to lend its height to the cause. This configuration allowed me excellent performance on most bands with 40 being the quietest and best.

The ease of setup that makes this such a great temp antenna also makes this a great portable antenna while out on the quad or on rare occasions on horseback, it rolls up into a nice package and can easily be hoisted into handy tree or pulled back over with an antenna launcher if I care to tote the extra weight. Again, minimal clacking from the z100 Pro II to tune and reliable and easily duplicated with a very forgiving setup.

This is not the antenna to replace the giant Steppir or the huge rotatable beam on a 120' mast, but if you actually leave your qth to enjoy your life and incorporate radio, this as well as the other chameleon antennas are a great solution for your needs. Keep in mind, ham radio is about innovation and experimentation as much as it is about improvisation. Enjoy the challenge and make it work.

KI4ADS Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2015 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Does not work as advertised, support attitude is condescending.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried several different configurations, different heights, different tuners, etc. It was difficult to obtain a good match on most bands, and efficiency was quite low. I know that it's a compromise antenna, but still... it wasn't useful at all.

I contacted Chameleon Support about this antenna. After asking a few questions, Carl Lavoie from Chameleon basically told me that the antenna worked well under ideal deployment, which is a sloper configuration at considerable height.

OK - but the antenna is advertised as "...ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders, Emergency Preparedness and attic antenna installation. It’s a true base station or portable stealth antenna."

I was specifically asking Carl about portable operation use. So he told me that the antenna wasn't suited for that, and then hit me with a sales pitch for other models that they sell.

Umm.... No. I don't think so.

VE3JSJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance and convenience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used this antenna for PACTOR operations from Honduras to USA/CANADA, during a Medical Mission.

The antenna was very easy to install, requiring only one banana tree at the far end, compared to traditional dipoles which would require 3 banana trees!

I would like a lightweight version of this antenna, rated for max 20 watts.

Gordon VE3JSJ

W6AXM Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2014 00:23 Send this review to a friend
Easiest antenna to deploy ever!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well the only reason I can't say "great" is that I consider my Trafie Hexbeam to be "great" But the ZEPP is as good as anyone could possibly expect in an nearly instantly deployable ECOMM antenna. I took Carl's advice to feed the antenna high and then let the far end fall as it may, usually to a support 5 - 10 feet AGL. In my case I can place the feed point at the top of my tower or the top of a deployable sectional mast and insert my small SGC antenna tuner in the line so it works on Ham MARS and CAP equally well. It's a whole lot less trouble than trying to set up a B&W broadband dipole and the ZEPP works much better than the dipole on 17 - 10 meters. I have not yet tried it on 6 since I have a 4 element quad on that band.

N9BAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
One of my Favorites!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had great success with the Chameleon ZEPP. I use on 10 - 80 QRP with a KX3 and Some with FT-857. The ZEPP stays in my truck so if I find a good place to stop and operate, throw in tree as a sloper and i'm on the air in no time. I also like the way it lowers the noise floor. I will put it up at home when the noise level gets bad. I have several Chameleon Antennas, they all work Great! Carl is always there to help, just an email away.

W5TTW Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2014 15:14 Send this review to a friend
No joy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried this antenna in several configurations with no joy. It is extremely deaf and always leads to poor signal reports when compared to my other wire antennas at the same height. It's a lamp cord connected to an unun.

NU6Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
QRP from 7,000 ft  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Chameleon Zepp for a couple of years from my Home. But with a new Elecraft KX3 I headed off to the mountains, with a charged battery 100' of rope and a Chameleon Zepp. The antenna was easy to deploy in a slope configuration using trees. To say the least, I was impressed with how quiet the antenna was, and yet still able to receive signals over 5,000 miles away. I give the antenna a 5 as an end fed antenna, as far as a multiband wire antenna, I am glad it is in my bag.

HP2DUI Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2013 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On my return to HF Bands after 15 years I needed a stealth Antenna, Because of HOA, (yes we got them on Central America too). Bough mine on the Ebay Special for $75.00, The product arrived fast and well packed. The Install was a snap because y live on the last floor of a Building. Already made very interesting contacts with Latvia, Russia, Cuba , Venezuela , Colombia & Hungary in 40m and 20m. Will buy another in the future for a GoBag setup.

73`s from Guille HP2DUI