Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M
CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99
Description: CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA

The Chameleon HF Multiband Zepp Antenna has been specially designed for apartments, condominiums, homeowners associations, deed restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions), ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders, Emergency Preparedness and attic antenna installation. Itís a true base station or portable stealth antenna.

The antenna covers 10M to 80M and is 75' long. Itís composed of a 25' matching section and a 50' radiator. To eliminated possible RFI the antenna is attached to a UNUN 1:1. Because of the 25í matching section the antenna can be directly connected on the antenna tuner with the provided 1í jumper cable (RG-8X) (recommended).

The antenna can be installed in different configurations such as:

Horizontal
Vertical
Sloped
Inverted ďVĒ
Inverted ďLĒ
Horizontal Loop
Vertical Loop
Vertically twisted around a fiberglass or wooden core

Because of its particular design the Zepp antenna can be installed on the edge of a wooden fence, in a tree, on a house rooftop in a loop pattern, in an attic in a vertical loop pattern, twisted around a flagpole or even directly on the grass (with limited communication range and performance).

When rolled in a bundle the antenna can easily fit into a lunch box, backpack, suit case or any other handbags. The deployment time is between 2 minutes to about 10 minutes depending of the chosen antenna configuration.

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency: 10M - 80M
Power: 250 W SSB
RF Connection: PL-259
Input Impedance: 50 Ohms
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Pattern: Subject to configuration
Polarization: Linear
Height: 75í (50í radiator - 25í matching section)
Weight: 2 lb.
Mounting Configuration: None
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M.

N9BAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
One of my Favorites!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had great success with the Chameleon ZEPP. I use on 10 - 80 QRP with a KX3 and Some with FT-857. The ZEPP stays in my truck so if I find a good place to stop and operate, throw in tree as a sloper and i'm on the air in no time. I also like the way it lowers the noise floor. I will put it up at home when the noise level gets bad. I have several Chameleon Antennas, they all work Great! Carl is always there to help, just an email away.

W5TTW Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2014 15:14 Send this review to a friend
No joy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried this antenna in several configurations with no joy. It is extremely deaf and always leads to poor signal reports when compared to my other wire antennas at the same height. It's a lamp cord connected to an unun.

NU6Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
QRP from 7,000 ft  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Chameleon Zepp for a couple of years from my Home. But with a new Elecraft KX3 I headed off to the mountains, with a charged battery 100' of rope and a Chameleon Zepp. The antenna was easy to deploy in a slope configuration using trees. To say the least, I was impressed with how quiet the antenna was, and yet still able to receive signals over 5,000 miles away. I give the antenna a 5 as an end fed antenna, as far as a multiband wire antenna, I am glad it is in my bag.

HP2DUI Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2013 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On my return to HF Bands after 15 years I needed a stealth Antenna, Because of HOA, (yes we got them on Central America too). Bough mine on the Ebay Special for $75.00, The product arrived fast and well packed. The Install was a snap because y live on the last floor of a Building. Already made very interesting contacts with Latvia, Russia, Cuba , Venezuela , Colombia & Hungary in 40m and 20m. Will buy another in the future for a GoBag setup.

73`s from Guille HP2DUI

K2DS Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Dose The Job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having been a ham for over 50 years and having played with many antennas over those years the best that I can say is that it works. Itís not the 70 foot tower with the wide spaced KT34X-A up top like I had back in NY or the 2 elm 40 I had on a rotatable side mount but it works. Having retired and selling the QTH all the wonderful sky hooks stuff had to come down. Moving to Florida was a good move but I never thought about not being able to put up antennas... HOA!! Well that where the CHAMELEON ANTENNA came into my life. I have it mounted with the match end on the roof and run it out to the one and only tree just into the common area out back. Itís next to imposable to see unless you know just where to look. I use it on all of the HF bands 10/80 and have not problem tuning it with my TS850S-AT. I got good reports from both CONUS and OCONUS all the time. Like I said itís not like having an aluminum farm out there but it work and for the price you canít beat it!

K1STS Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 18:58 Send this review to a friend
fantastic broad based general purpose antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a new Chameleon Hybrid Mini owner i was excited when Carl at Chameleon asked me if i would like to be part of the test group for the new Chameleon Zepp. Actually i was a bit surprised as i only hold a technician ticket. Being such i only have privileges on 10M and up. I also do some EMCONN work locally and MARS. When i saw this antenna the first thing i thought of was EMCONN use, fast easy set up full range coverage and varying types of setups. I told Carl to send it and i would give it a test drive. The Zepp arrived a few days later and i couldnít wait to get started. The first thing i noticed was the level of craftsmanship. Included in the package was the matching network, a 1ft pigtail and 75ft cable roll. i took the unit out to the local park to set up and do some psk31 work. the antenna is 75ft total with a 25ft feed section and 50ft radiator section. doing a little research ahead of time i found that this antenna design is one of the oldest antennas in existence. Well boys and girls this is not your granddaddy's end fed zepp. i fancy myself as one of the leaders in improper antenna setups and the first thing i learned was this antenna is very forgiving. This kind of forgiveness is crucial for portable emconn work, as you will never know exactly what you will have to work with as far as antenna setup, trees, no trees, supports, no supports. I set my zepp up in several different configurations including 20ft up 50ft across, 20ft up 25ft across 25ft down and 25ft on ground 50ft sloped up at 45 degrees. In all of these setups i noticed the antenna was still very quiet and IT TUNED every time! I made several 6m voice contacts and even more 10m psk contacts several of which were DX. This antenna is flexible, itís portable, itís simple to use, packs/carries easy and lastly the price is right. I would recommend the Zepp for anyone looking for a fantastic general purpose antenna for broad based usage in varying environments. Lastly i would like the thank Carl for the opportunity to test drive this antenna, i couldnít be more pleased with all my Chameleons!

K5VJH Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2012 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this antenna for approximately 6 weeks. I live in a restricted subdivision, and I was able to hide it very easily horizontally between 2 trees about 28' off the ground. It is made very well (5/5), and works very good for its design (4/5). It is NOT a G5RV, and will not operate as such. But, it operates very well for a small antenna. It really liked 40 meters the best, and operated kinda good on 20 meters, but it didn't work well for me very well on any other higher bands. I replaced the Zepp for a G5RV after my neighbors discovered that I was a Ham. They told me not to worry about a few extra feet of antenna on the common grounds, good neighbors! In comparison, a frequent contact gave me a 5/7 very often with the Zepp, but I get 20 over with the G5RV. I will not be getting rid of this antenna. I will use it for portable work. Overview: good and easy portable, and works good in a pinch.

K5VJH

LU6APD Rating: 1/5 Sep 18, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
#$%#@@#$%!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna I was extremely deaf and only works well on 40 meters .... The unun soon appeared full of water .... Spend the money on something else!!

N5QWA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2012 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Special Purpose Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Choice: We chose the Chameleon ZEPP due to its relatively small footprint and low wind design.
Installation: It is installed on the roof of the 6th floor of our medical center, extending from the penthouse to a vertical PVC pipe on the edge of the roof.
Use: It is used for HF EMCOMM nets across the State of Louisiana.
Radio: Yaesu FT-450D with internal autotuner.
Notes:
1. Based upon forecasted winds of Hurricane Isaac, we chose to leave it up during the storm. Our max sustained winds were only 32, with gusts to 58, but we did not have any issues with it's performance or the installation.
2. It performed well, and we were able to check into all of our nets as required.
3. It was not purchased to be a DX chaser, so your milage may vary:)

KA3YAN Rating: 1/5 Sep 11, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Super disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading all the great reviews, I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. Initially I had this antenna pretty low (running along a 6ft fence), but after receiving poor signal reports I decided I needed an on-the-air comparison. I also have an eBay special ULTIMAX100, which I modified with a 48ft wire. I used this as the baseline. Switching between the two, I was consistently receiving reports of 10db better with the ULTIMAX.

I then raised the Chameleon up to 20ft, but that made no difference in my signal reports.

The only thing that I really like about the Chameleon Zepp is that it is an excellent receiving antenna. If my transceiver had a jack for a receiving antenna and a transmitting antenna, I'd be set. Sadly it doesn't, so I'm just going to mothball the Chameleon.