Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M
CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99
Description: CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA

The Chameleon HF Multiband Zepp Antenna has been specially designed for apartments, condominiums, homeowners associations, deed restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions), ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders, Emergency Preparedness and attic antenna installation. Itís a true base station or portable stealth antenna.

The antenna covers 10M to 80M and is 75' long. Itís composed of a 25' matching section and a 50' radiator. To eliminated possible RFI the antenna is attached to a UNUN 1:1. Because of the 25í matching section the antenna can be directly connected on the antenna tuner with the provided 1í jumper cable (RG-8X) (recommended).

The antenna can be installed in different configurations such as:

Horizontal
Vertical
Sloped
Inverted ďVĒ
Inverted ďLĒ
Horizontal Loop
Vertical Loop
Vertically twisted around a fiberglass or wooden core

Because of its particular design the Zepp antenna can be installed on the edge of a wooden fence, in a tree, on a house rooftop in a loop pattern, in an attic in a vertical loop pattern, twisted around a flagpole or even directly on the grass (with limited communication range and performance).

When rolled in a bundle the antenna can easily fit into a lunch box, backpack, suit case or any other handbags. The deployment time is between 2 minutes to about 10 minutes depending of the chosen antenna configuration.

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency: 10M - 80M
Power: 250 W SSB
RF Connection: PL-259
Input Impedance: 50 Ohms
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Pattern: Subject to configuration
Polarization: Linear
Height: 75í (50í radiator - 25í matching section)
Weight: 2 lb.
Mounting Configuration: None
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HF MULTIBAND ZEPP ANTENNA - 10M to 80M.

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Surprised but not really...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Chameleon Zepp for quite some time and have used it for portable operations and it has performed very well. On portable OPS I've made several European contacts with such ease at around 50-100 watts. I live in a very noisy location with lots of street lights and often have noise levels that are unforgiving. I finally gave in and put up the Zepp (i's my favorite portable OPS "Big" antenna so it's always in my Go-Bag. My noise level went down and I could hear stations I've spoken to a lot clearer. Now my dilemma is whether to bring it down or keep it as my Main Base antenna. Highly recommend it. Forgot to mention how stealthy it is! Go get one!!

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2012 06:12 Send this review to a friend
It does the job !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After one year struggling with XYL, this OM won the battle, and now the porch of my master suite is my newest Ham Shack. It is located at second floor of the house, 22 feet high from ground level and 60 feet far from the backyardīs rear fence, so giving me some room to play with wire antennas. As a Class C 100 watts operator, my gear is very modest: HF rig Yaseu FT450D 160/6m with Yaesu Mic MD-100, Bencher low pass filter and LDG 450 external tuner.

The Chameleon Zepp radiator starts 3 feet over the roof and goes all the way back in parallel till the end of the backyard. The matching section goes directly to my tuner. This Zepp is very practical to install and very convenient to use. Much easier to deploy than wire dipoles and G5RVs. Quality and strong built. It seems will last forever hanging outside of the house.

In fact, presently, the Zepp is my main HF antenna, resulting good signals till medium range distances / nvis. It is important to mention that its position is not 100% quite in the "open", due to a couple of taller houses surrounding mine.

My next move will be to erect a vertical antenna, at least 9 feet over the roof, so, starting 30 feet from ground level, in order to go for long distances signals. Preferably, it has to be a DC grounded type and not requiring any counterpose.
My choices are among the newest SE-360/X80 from SigmaEuroComm, the Comet CHA250B and the Chameleon Hybrid/V1/Mil. Opinions and suggestions are quite welcome to my email (it is in my profile). 73s !

N9SWR Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Better than advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Zepp antenna and set it up in some trees in an L configuration about 8 to 10 ft off the ground. Using an FT-897 at 20W (battery), I had notrouble reaching 300 miles to Chicago. Graet NVIS antenna shot. Perfect for emegcency comms.

KF7NLV Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Great for MARS and more!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Carl and the Chameleon Team were very helpful in chosing an affordable yet MARS effective antenna. So far the Zepp has suppased my expectations. I have finally completed my MARS station! Chameleon recommended a NVIS configuration and it worked perfectly in my QTH. First Time NET control has heard my report without it being relayed. Yet I am able to play on this weeks QSO 20m party bouncing back an forth between a ZeroFive Vertical and the Zepp for the best effect.

K1ROY Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2011 20:05 Send this review to a friend
so easy even I could do it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
works well on 40 and 80 meters. Not bad for me on 20 meters either. Tunes up on all bands 10-80 but doesnt do quite so well down on 10 or 12 meters but gets better the lower in frequency I went. Very easy to install as I have it installed on a slight slope mostly horizonta up about 30 ft coming out of a 3rd floor window and going out into the woods with the end of the 75 ft wire up in a tree about 25 ft off the ground. I am terrible at putting up wires but any dummy can have success with this end fed zepp!

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
ANOTHER MUST HAVE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Chameleon Antennas has done it AGAIN!!!

I've been using Chameleon Antennas with my ARES Team for a while and from the get go Chameleon Antennas have not disappointed!

From the V1 to the V2 to the V4, the ease of deployment to the signal reports in various conditions, the Chameleons delivered with flying colors!

So it was not a surprise that The ZEPP does just as well in the Rapid Response and Reliability Department! GO-KIT GOTTA HAVE!!!!

ROB1955 Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 21:22 Send this review to a friend
So far this is the easiest to install and use PERIOD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iíve received my new Zepp directly from the folks at chameleonantenna.com two weeks ago and so far Iíve used it at home and while backpacking. Now this little baby is completely different from what the guys at chameleon antenna are usually producing. I already own several of their antennas and so far this is the easiest to install and use PERIOD!

No need to install counterpoises, radials or ground system. The antenna doesnít require any special support or equipment. I donít even use a coax cable with it. I simply connect the small jumper cable in my tuner and Iím on the air under 5 minutes.

Backpacking is literally a charm with this antenna because when rolled in a coil the space required to store the antenna in the backpack is not bigger than a raincoat.

At home this antenna is literally invisible because the Zepp is either following the top edge of my fence or itís installed at 45 degrees between my shack the tree in the yard at about 35í to 40í high. I got 59 or 59+ reports all the time! Tune fantastic on everything between 10m and 80m (flat swr). Cannot ask for better for the price ($99).

You need an antenna for emergency
You want to do a dirty antenna installation that works all the time
You want an antenna to carry under your car seat
You want an antenna that will follow you everywhere (hotel, fishing trip or at work)
You want an antenna that is invisible

Then you need the Zepp. HIGHLY recommended PERIOD!

W4GRJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2011 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Works great - very easy to put up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently used the ZEPP at a Homeland Security Exercise with great success. Installed the insulator end on a 40' mast then angled it down about 45 deg. Ran RG8x 50' to the transceiver. Used it with great success on MARS freg from 4mhz to 8mhz and on 14.300 maritime net. We used a FT897 with a LDG tuner. The antenna tuned to virtually flat SWR....we got great signal reports.