Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | EZNEC Antenna Design Software by W7EL Help

Reviews Summary for EZNEC Antenna Design Software by W7EL
EZNEC Antenna Design Software by W7EL Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $99
Description: EZNEC, the all-new, completely rewritten Windows version of EZNEC.
More info: http://www.eznec.com

You can write your own review of the EZNEC Antenna Design Software by W7EL.

MAZZ1232002 Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Could not be without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have modeled hundreds of VHF UHF yagis and stacked systems using EZNEC. Also many HF type antennas. It is the only way to design antennas as far as I am concerned. Yes it does take some practice and understanding before one can become proficient using EZNEC, kind of like using good 3D CAD programs takes practice first.

Pete
WB4CGA

W4HH Rating: 1/5 Sep 25, 2008 13:14 Send this review to a friend
I'm too stupid to use EXNEC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I assume EZNEC is a great piece of work; after all, I see lots of references to it in QST and ham forums on the 'net. I must be terminally stupid because I could not make it work -- couldn't figure out what information it was asking for, couldn't figure out how to get data into it.

I was building an off-center-feed dipole and, on the suggestion of several other hams, I installed the demo version of EZNEC v. 5.0.

Try as I may -- and I fiddled with it for several hours -- I could not figure out how to enter date into the program and had no idea what it was asking for. The HELP function did not exist. I have no idea what most of the information is that the program asks for and could not make it work.

I gave up and removed it from my computer.

I'm going back to cut-and-try on the antenna.

My experience was with the demo version. Maybe if I had paid for it . . .

N3FT Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2007 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Good program for simple antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its not Roy's fault, but it seems like every antenna I design in some way breaks the thin wire kernel in NEC. I won't go into detail about the thin wire kernel as you can readily look it up.

Wires in parallel touching each other, small loops, etc.

K0IZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2004 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I spent a year designing and building an antenna the hard way: books, articles, cutting wire, tuning, etc. Tried the 3.0 version demo and had a hard time getting started.

Now have purchased 4.0. A good number of antenna configurations have been added and allowed me to look at how these were done, make changes, and finally launch out on my own.

Great program. Fun to try different things, such as different grounds, heights, etc and look at difference in SWR, radiation patterns, etc. I have learned a lot and also verified my real-world designs. Highly recommend.

K0LTB Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 13:05 Send this review to a friend
your antenna is the most important part of your station!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Your antenna is a major factor in determining your ability to have contacts (which is really the essence of ham radio). But for most of us it's almost impossible to decide what would be best, given the many constraints of lot size, feedline location, and so on. Until recently, antenna modeling software seemed pretty daunting to the average ham -- but EZNEC solves that.

I downloaded the software after work one evening, and had made several successful models before bedtime. The time I spent with EZNEC over the next week was the most valuable investment in the whole planning process for my new shack. Thanks to EZNEC, I figured out a wire antenna configuration that loads on 40 through 10 and delivers just the pattern I wanted on all bands.

I installed it, fired it up, and it performed just as predicted; and to top it all off I was able to work DX in pileups with my 35 watts!

Many kudos to Roy for bringing sophisticated and powerful antenna modeling within reach of any ham.

KB8JVH Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2003 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
After spending much time and effort writing NEC cards with a word processor and considering writing a GUI for NEC2 I discovered EZNEC3.0. If you're into modeling antenna this is the program for you. Very easy to use, with good graphics and results charts. Excellent job Roy! A deal at twice the price.

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2002 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Very usefull program.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This software is an excellent tool to try out the antenna you want to build that is still in your head. However, some understanding of antenna concepts is required to understand the data you will get from the program. This would make a great learning tool to use while you use an antenna book. Results from the use of eznec 3 will give the user a ball park answer to questions like, what is the feed Z going to be, what is the likely pattern, what effect will loading coils or caps be, ect, ect ect. If you like to play with antennas this software used with an antenna analyzer to see actual data from a test antenna will keep you busy for years designing trial antennas.

Also, you can't lose with the free demo download you can try before you buy it.

One caveat---learn how to draw 3 dimensional drawings within a x,y,z coordinate system on paper before trying complicated antennas.

NB6Z Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2001 19:01 Send this review to a friend
The Best...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't let your RF leave home without it! ;-)

N6PC Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2000 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent modeling of antenna options  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded to the windows version after receiving the previous user announcement of EZNEC 3.0 from Roy.
I downloaded the software over the Internet after sending credit card info. I also received the CD (as a backup) mailed for $10 more in about 3 days. The upgrade installed easily. The new windows version is a pleasure to use.
I modeled an existing 160M G5RV (102ft each leg) that was “slapped up” a few years ago and is used daily. Compared the results to the directions of actual contacts during a recent contest. The peak directions were the same as the majority of contacts made. Made some changes in both the apex height and the “ground” types. There is little change and the present set up appears the best choice. As indicated in a previous review “You'll be surprised how little an extra ten foot of height at lower HF will do and how much changing a feed point can change your patterns to favor the desired directions”. It is nice to see just how “lucky” I was in the installation configuration of my 160M G5RV. Modeled all bands 160 to 10 meters. The software is very representative of my actual operating observations. Excellent software.

K8WX Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2000 13:03 Send this review to a friend
This program can teach you a lot!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded to the windows version at Dayton from the dos version I had been running. The upgrade installed easily. The windows version is a real pleasure to use. The ability to try things the way they will be in your back yard is fantasic. You'll be surprised how little an extra ten foot of height at lower HF will do and how much changing a feed point can change your patterns to favor the desired directions. If you like to dream about antennas this is a must have.

If you have a small yard and want to find what antenna will be best overall you can try them all out at your size and heigth restrictions before you ever hang the first wire.

Bob K8WX