Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | SPE EXPERT 2K-FA Help

Reviews Summary for SPE EXPERT 2K-FA
SPE EXPERT 2K-FA Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 4750 Euro
Description: The most advanced solid state automatic linear amplifier in the world. the operator has only to move the frequency tuning knob on the transceiver.
More info: http://www.linear-amplifier.com

You can write your own review of the SPE EXPERT 2K-FA.

W4PGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2018 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great amp with great after sale service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this amp for about 6 years and it has been a great performer. I developed a few issues and contacted Bob Hardie at Expert Linears America for service. Bob has always been responsive to my questions/issues and this time was no different. No RMA just send it in. When it arrived he asked me about a dozen very detailed questions about the issues. We whittled down the list over a couple of emails and the next thing I saw was the FedEx notice that it was on he way. The bill was way more fair than I expected for the time that he spent and the Amp is working, dare I say, better than new. If you are questioning if there is quality service for the amp after purchase the answer is a resounding yes. Great product with exceptional service!

KO7SS Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2018 08:57 Send this review to a friend
SO2R with one amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 3 years and love it but had never tried it SO2R. I did have previous experience with 2 amp SO2R and external switchboxes but it was very frustrating setting it all up and maintaining it, so I sold all of it and went back to a single K3S and my new 2K-FA.

After reading N5DX's blog about winning the 2015 CQWWCW from N2QV using a single 2K-FA in SO2R configuration that was my new goal.

It is especially simple with SO2R RTTY, no external control box is needed, N1MM+ switches the amp between the radios, and a simple Dunestar headphone switch is used to hear just a low level tone in each ear.

The SO2R frustration expressed by many reviewers is that the 2nd radio is always listening on a multiband antenna (of your choice). For weak signal DX contests maybe this would be a limitation, but for domestic contests it doesn't matter.

The bottom line is a full function SO2R contest station can be had with one 2K-FA and a very modest set of antennas - a tribander + 40/80 dipole and a multiband vertical for 2nd radio RX.

I ran this in the 2017 CQWW RTTY and 2018 RTTY Roundup. The 2K-FA was run at 1100W or so because of antenna balun overheating issues on RTTY, but the amp worked perfectly during 24+ hour efforts in each contest.

WX4W Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2017 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Fully auto & exceeds legal limit!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I never thought I would buy one of these primarily due to price but I found a used one for a decent price. I've owned it for over 4 months and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. I have two rigs and three antennas hooked into it and all I have to do is pick up a mic or tap a key and the amp does everything else! I looked at all of the options and there are very few amps that have no warmup time, have internal tuner that handles more than legal power for six antennas, handles two rigs connected simultaneously, can be remotely controlled, etc. I know people love their Acoms, Alphas, etc. but none of those will match this amplifier feature for feature. Likely the last amp I will ever buy and certainly the last I'll ever need. I have to laugh at the one review that gave it a zero because it's too complicated to setup. Perhaps they chose the wrong hobby?

K4PI Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2017 05:44 Send this review to a friend
A Joy to Operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for about 1 1/2 years and it has been flawless. I love having the 6 antenna ports and the built in antenna tuner. Prior to this amp on 40 M I had to use a manual tuner due to the narrow bandwidth of my shortened 40 M yagi. Not anymore with this amp. I have used it on RTTY contesting and it runs cool at 1.2 KW for hours on end of CQ. It is great to have 6 M on this amp also. I have a lot of friends with this amp and have yet to hear anyone says anything bad about it. I see they have a 1.5 KW model due out in 2018 at 22 lbs weight !

K3PD Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2017 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Set up very straightforward. Read the manual or watch the various YOUTUBE videos on this amplifier. (Was puzzled by the comment from another poster who thought the set up too complicated??? It certainly is MUCH easier than tuning a manual amp so I can't imagine why he had trouble??? AND YOU DO IT ONCE AND THAT'S IT!))

I use the 2K with a variety of Xcvrs. Kenwood, Elecraft, and mostly the Flex 6500 and Flex 5000.

With the Flex I use the free DDUTIL program which with the 2K turns this combo into a legal limit xcvr! Change bands or freq and amp follows. Auto selects antenna (up to 6 )that you have preset. ATU works FB. Personally prefer the INSTANT ON vs waiting 3 minutes (DX usually gone by then!)for the Alpha 9500 to warm up.

K6RMJ Rating: 0/5 Jan 18, 2017 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Do not like touch pads  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Too complicated to set up. I emailed the person that wired the cable with a question. Never retun an answer. That was six weeks ago.

I will stick with my Yaesu VL 1000. Which is very easy to set up.

DL2QB Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2016 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Repair costs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this amplifier already 5 years ago and now I have the feeling that I can add some of my experiences in that time.

The 2K-FA has given me a lot of pleasure and easy powerful operation in most of the time I have owned it. Without its abilities I might not have been able to work the last required countries for the honor role as I am only using a SteppIR GP.

However some months ago the behaviour of my 2KFA started to become ... lets say... erratic from time to time. First it was infrequently and on the higher bands only and when I was using higher power. Suddenly during operation the temperature of the combiner started to climb more and more rapidly until safety measures cut it off (I ususally watch the display page with the critical temperatures during operation) although heatsink temperatures were always well below any critical limits at the same time, nothing the blowers could not take care of. Operation then ceased with a "Possible Module Fault" message. In the time following this happened more and more often until I hardly could operate the PA more than 30 to 60 minutes. Most of the time I could use it for a while and then combiner temperature started to take off. I finally took it to my dealer in Germany for inspection and repair and with a infrared camera they were able to actually pinpoint one of the amplifying moduels after some while although like in my shack the fault did not appear immediately but only after a while. My dealer replaced the MRF151G on the module in question, but the module now immediately killed their new dual transistor. Then they sent in the faulty module to SPE in Rome. After a couple of weeks the module came back from Italy, it was repaired, and the PA worked again like it should. Unfortunately there was no information what had been wrong or what was replaced. Not unexpectedly the repair costs were over 500€ or 550$ and that only because the German dealer did not charge me most of his own expenses while searching for the problem in his lab first. He told me that it otherwise would have become a 4-digit (€/$) bill.

Therefore I reduced my "Great!" judgement from the first review to a "Good", because I still think it is a good amplifier.

K1TGX Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2016 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Everything I hoped it would be  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been qrt for several years and last year decided to get active again. At the Boxboro Convention I ordered an Elecraft K3S & P3. In November I decided to order the 2K-FA. I ordered it but because of the estimated delivery time for the amp (5-6 months) I returned to Elecraft for their 500w amp & tuner. Fast forward to May 2016 and Bob called to say the amp would be here in the middle of the month.I was sorry to see the Elecraft amp & tuner go as they were really fine pieces of gear but. . .
My antenna system consists of a 4 element fan dipole at ~ 60 feet (dipoles for 80, 75, 40 and 20).
Setting up the 2K-FA does require reading the manual. I did get the interface cable from Dan at Expert Linears but I still need a 'Y' cable to complete the full integration to the K3S & P3.
That said the only thing I see that is missing is the auto band change as I change bands on the K3S. However, the amp does not require any intervention to change bands. The 1st dit on cw or syllable of speech and the amp auto changes to the correct band. Magic.
The amp contains a 'memory bank' of settings for the antenna tuner. To use it as recommended one must go through every band and have the amp auto-tune to match that particular band segment of each band you use with the corresponding antenna (it has provisions for several antenna connections that you can program to match each band for automatic selection). For each band from 80 to 6 I used about 6-8 segments to program. It matched every band except 10m to my fan dipoles. On 10 it was only able to match above 28.7mhz. The manual says it will match up to a 3:1 swr. In my case it matched a couple of band segments that were 3.2-3.3 to 1 just fine.
Setup took less than 1 hour - even with my being super cautious :)
Operation - This is one sweet amp. My last amplifier was an Alpha 78. Operating with the amp has been awesome. At some point I intend to set up remote capabilities and this amp lends itself perfectly to that.
There are an array of safeties built in. The only one I have exercised is the high swr shutdown. That was before I went through each band and had the tuner adjust for each segment. The highest temperature I have seen in the amp is 84 deg F.
That said I have returned to my old habits and am primarily a dx chaser. Not exactly 100% key down.
Yesterday I was the 1st North American contact with ZD7 in a pretty severe pileup. With the modest antenna I am using a great deal of the credit has to go to the power level.
I was (rightly) concerned with signal quality after reading several 'experts' proclaim how poorly 'solid state' amps perform. I have received several unsolicited comments on how good the signal sounds (most recently a day ago from a SM1). I also worked A92 (Bahrain) last evening and Fabian is using the same amp. If my signal sounds as good as his I'll be more than happy.
The amp is a brute in size. It weighs about 75lbs and is bigger than I thought - even though I saw the dimensions before I ordered it. If you have no psychological need to look at the display it can be put anywhere conveniently off the operating desk.
I guess the test question is would I buy one again. Its a major expense but the answer is absolutely.

NM6E Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2016 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Amplifier!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my SPE EXPERT 2K-FA since Thanksgiving week, 2015. I placed my order with Bob Hardie of Expert Linears back in early August 2015. I actually ordered both the 2K-FA and the 1.3K-FA, with the intention that I would get “whatever” showed up first. I was replacing a much smaller, yet good amp for me, an ACOM 1011 and obviously this 2K-FA is in an entirely different class.

Knowing my antenna situation “is what it is” (I live in an HOA but was able to put up a Zero Five 30’ Flag Pole for 80-6m, see a separate review for the antenna), I either wanted the 1.3K-FA that I could run off of 120VAC or the 2K-FA primarily because I knew that either has the ability to disengage the ATU (wanted to have it for a later QTH in case I ever needed it) and having about 1.2KW was about bottom/max limit I wanted to run so either would provide the power output I wanted as well as the flexibility to shut the internal ATU off as I am running an outboard tuner, the Palstar HF-AUTO (great tuner as well).

Working with Bob was a pleasure and I would get updates periodically. I am hearing that the wait for most any SPE Expert Amplifier could well vary from 3 to 8 months so Bob is great with giving updates because there are people that get on the wait list and when the product shows up, they are not in a position to pull the trigger as they are not the most inexpensive amp, but they are very advanced!

As destiny would have it, the 2K-FA showed up first and I took it. I was told roughly 2 weeks in advance the 2K-FA would show up so that meant I had to think about having to have a dedicated 220VAC line run from the master circuit breaker to the shack/home office. I ended up running a dedicated 220VAC @ 20A and another dedicated 120VAC @ 20A service just for the shack. The house was wired for 15A service so I had the “dimming” of lights from overloading the plugs in the shack.

I wanted as much automation in the shack as possible, even with my non-resonant antenna. I was able to use the 2K-FA with my former Kenwood TS590s successfully without issues as I had Dan from Expert Linears make up the cable for me. His service is well worth the time saving effort for cable creation to make things run smooth. I also had Dan make up the cable set for my Elecraft KX3 that I also use and it works great as well

I subsequently replaced the Kenwood TS590s with a Yaesu FTDX5000 and had Dan also make another cable set. The one thing I did was that in my ‘haste’ to get the amp connected with the Yaesu FTDX5000 and the new cable, I slipped on connecting the chassis ground of the FTDX5K to the common ground buss bar that the amp was connected to so I thought I had a bad cable but ‘signal/control’ voltages were not quite there.. Once the grounding issue was resolved, all worked great with the FTDX5K and Dan’s cable, the Amp turns on/and off automatically with the FTDX5K power on signal.

With Elecraft KX3, the auto power/on off feature for me does not work as the ouput signal voltage from the KX3 is too low for the 2K-FA to recognize and turn on but no big deal. Prior to the KX3 firmware upgrade, the KX3 was limited to 12w Max Output on all bands but with the Expert 2K-FA and the KX3, I had an average of about 280-325 watts with 12w drive. I recently upgraded the KX3 firmware that now allows 15w Max output on 80-20m and on those bands, the 2K-FA gives me anywhere from 400-500. So I have a nice 500 watt setup with the KX3. I am contemplating picking up a KX2 for more portable work but having the ability to connect it to the 2K-FA will make it a good 200 watt station as well with the KX2.

Prior to having the 2K-FA, using my old ACOM 1011 600 watt amp, I was able to listen to the AM Broadcast Band (500Khz – 1700Khz) and using the Yaesu FTDX5K was a pleasure to listen with. Once the 2K-FA was put in-line, the 2K-FA Band Pass filters really prohibit me form listening to local AM broadcast stations so I need to feed the antenna directly to the transceivers for that purpose but no big deal.

I did have one minor issue that Bob quickly resolved within days of having identified that it had to do with an intermittent issue with the temperature control board sensor that would shut the amp into standby to protect it. Bob meticulously trouble shot the issue and identified the root cause and resolved it.

The amp has worked flawlessly aside from that one minor issue. I’ve pushed the amp in Max mode and have seen an ‘easy’ 1.8Kw-2.1Kw output in Max mode. I run it 99% of the time in MID power out range that gives me ~ 1.2Kw and it just loafs along with 50w drive and the ALC controls everything in case I slip up and the power out is up at 200w drive when I operate barefoot.

I like having both HF rigs connected simultaneously to the rig , the FTDX5K (totally automated for power on/off with the cables) and the Elecraft KX3 and with the HF-AUTO and a few dits the (amp in standby mode) the tuner tunes my Zero Five 30’ Flag Pole Vertical and the amp comes on line by either pushing the front panel button or when I contest and have the control via the software program/utility tool while running WriteLog etc.

I have all the automation that I can do with my little setup (PC/Contesting program/Rig Control/Amp Integration via the utility and no more “manual” tuning.

Overall, I am very happy with the sales process and service I have received from Bob Hardie of Expert Linears and having had an Alpha 87 for 9 years (sold it) as well as the ACOM 1011 (manual tune amp), the SPE Expert 2K-FA is much better because of it’s instant on capability and I wanted to not worry about tubes going south as I had with the Alpha 87 and 2 sets in the ACOM 1011. This turns my station with either of my rigs into an instant on 500w transceiver with the KX3 or a 2Kw+ with the FTDX5000 but I am conservative and run it in MID range and 1.2Kw for 80-10m

The 2K-FA is not inexpensive but I am loving it very much and pleased with it’s self protection mechanism and all the information available that it can display on the computer screen with the utility program or on the display itself and setup is a breeze and I strongly recommend having the cables made up if you want to get it up and go quickly but you can solder them up yourself, I just don’t have time with my busy schedule and family time so the investment is worth it to me to maximize my time.

W7DXX Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2015 07:58 Send this review to a friend
The 2K-FA at W7DXX remote base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally retired my 87A and bought a 2K-FA from Bob, W5UQ, Expert Linear America. I have to say that purchasing this amp is the smartest thing I have done in 50 years of ham radio.
The 2K-FA is an extremely well built amplifier, and it is built to perform.
It is in use at W7DXX remote base.
Not only does the 2K-FA operate 24/7 at 1500 watts, its many failsafe features make it 100% reliable.
Operate it yourself via the internet at www.w7dxx.com