Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI NES 10-2 MK3. Help

Reviews Summary for BHI NES 10-2 MK3.
BHI NES 10-2 MK3. Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $CIRCA 100.00
Description: DSP NOISE REDUCTION SPEAKER
More info: http://www.bhi-ltd.co.uk

You can write your own review of the BHI NES 10-2 MK3..

AA5JD Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2017 10:22 Send this review to a friend
This speaker works GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried a variety noise-cancellation speakers and this one is by far the best. It produces clear sound that is much more understandable than without. The adjustable level of filtering is amazing and makes HF listening a dream compared to without. This IMO is the best.

G7HZZ Rating: 2/5 Dec 28, 2015 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Barely adequate  Time owned: more than 12 months
On an older rig (TS-570), this speaker barely helps in reducing noise (QRN) but does nothing to help with off-frequency interference (QRM), especially heterodynes and whistles.

But the worst aspect is that its immunity to RF interference is lamentable. At almost any setting of gain or DSP level it is virtually impossible to remove the breathiness that percolates through the DSP from the microphone, etc. BHI's answer is to add clip-on ferrites, but frankly they don't help, even if used by the dozen. I have added a (commercial) line isolator to prevent pickup from an earth loop, ferrites, chokes and carefully routed the cables and none of these really solve the problem. I don't know if the NES-10 incorporates an opto-coupler; but if not, the question is whether it might help, or is the core processing unit inherrently susceptible to RF? Taking the NES-10 out of the equation solves the problem 100%.

I get far, far better results with an analogue Datong FL-3 Multimode Filter, with auto notch, which admittedly has less effect on QRN noise, but is unbeatable in attenuating squawky QRM.

I acquired the NES-10 for a few pounds (after having returned a NEIM1031 which I found to be completely useless, especially for the inflated price charged), but I do still not consider it to be worth the money. 70 spent on a Datong FL-3 is a much better deal.

My view is that a simple aanalogue tone control (hig/low cut) that can be built from cheap components will probably do much of the job that the NES-10 does, at a small fraction of the price, and with better RF immunity.

MM0HRL Rating: 3/5 Jul 13, 2015 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Mainly quite effective, details annoying.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second review of the Mk3 speaker. I've changed my mind about some aspects of its use so hope this revised version will overwrite the first.

I was a little too quick to crit its NR properties, I now feel. There is always some white noise present, for sure - but it represents a significant reduction over the untreated audio.

I've now used it with a Yaesu FT857d and an old Kenwood TS50. With both it performs similarly as might be expected.

However, an issue that I can't resolve involves a sensitivity to RF on TX. BHI offers quite a bit of information on this issue so I'm not very surprised to find it's happening with mine. Festooning cables with ferrites etc seems to have little effect. They offer a helpsheet to illustrate how to position ferrite rings on DC and audio cables, but I've been unable to isolate this problem so far. If cables commonly need suppression of this sort, BHI should be providing them at this price level.

That apart, I've become used to the sound characteristics of the noise reduction circuitry. Previously the water-dripping sounds had seemed too much to tolerate, possibly I'm mellowing a little as I use the thing.

However I still feel the bracket is a cheap and low grade item which does not belong on a speaker costing around a hundred UK pounds. And the on/off switch position is just ridiculous, sandwiched between the speaker bottom and its bracket - if you use the bracket as a stand instead of a hanging device the switch can only easily be used by poking a pencil around under the speaker. Is its internal cavity so packed there's no real estate where the switch could be re-sited? When its warranty expires I'll see to that myself.

I decided its audio performance does rate a 5, but the bracket and switch as above mentioned rate a point deduction apiece, hence the score of 3. So if those things don't matter to you, read this as a 5.

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2013 18:08 Send this review to a friend
The QRN Killer !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This dsp speaker just really works.

If you operate SSB mode, get one of this marvelous box to have clear audio and a good fight against QRN.

I am proud to have in my shack this master piece of audio-enginneering, the BHI NES 10-2 MK3 DSP one from UK. God save the Queen !!!

73!

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2013 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already own the MK2 and the MK3 is just as good
main intrest for me is monitoring hf aero/ndb
clarity on this dsp speaker is excellent do have lots of receivers and its beats the dsp boards that my receivers have well done bhi...

NENSW Rating: 1/5 Sep 27, 2012 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed a little  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Mk3 and it arrived today 29/09/2012.
I live in Darwin, the tropics of the Northern Territory in Australia.
Noise from distant storms is a problem here always, but in our wet season it is almost impossible to use the lower bands (<40m) due to distant constant lightning crashes.
I contacted a supplier and specifically emphasised I wanted a noise cancelling device to cope with the constant crashes of distant storms.
I even asked if such a device to accomplish this actually existed!
After looking at youtube demos, I asked the retailer about the Mk3 and the MFJ1026.
The guy said he had both but the MK3 was the pick of the two.
Well if you live in the tropics and want storm noise cancelled, don't waste your money.
On 40 and below, this device is useless.
It copes very well with noise that is constant, like computer noise, some ignition noise, noise from power lines, but when it comes to serious atmospheric noise, you might as well put some pillows over your normal speaker.
The audio quality disappears severely and the distant lightning crashes beat the MK3 mercilessly. ALL you can hear is the crashes!!
No audio at all!
Considering I explicitly explained what I wanted the Mk3 for, the advice I got, and the MK3 was certainly not worth the $214, for what I thought I was paying for.
I have no idea if an MFJ 1026 would do what I want,or if indeed any noise canceller will.
What does the military use?
I bet it isn't an NES10-2 Mk3

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: more than 12 months
Removes unwanted noise better than anything else

Get one - you wont go back to listening to raw transmissions again

F5VDM Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 05:12 Send this review to a friend
I love this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as I thought if it wasn't much good, I could use it in my car for my mobile setup.

The speaker output is a bit tinny, but I have it connected to another speaker and the outputted audio is nothing short of brilliant!

It does take some getting used to, but working with the DSP on my FT 920, it is fantastic, no more white noise, I can also hear DX stations much better than before.

A great purchase.

M0TMC Rating: 3/5 Nov 3, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
very poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i purchased this item against my better judgement as a friend has had three faulty units & the fourth is a bit iffy . it arrived today. bhi have some really bad q.c issues.the rotary switch in the rear for the dsp adjustment is supposed to go from 1 to 8. 8 being the strongest level of processing!!! i think my unit was made on a monday. setting 3 is the strongest setting & 5 the weakest! BUT.... in use it is bloody brilliant. my only gripe is the poor quality. 112.00 is not small potatoes & its a shame this product is not better made. if it wasnt for the poor (cheap) switches this rating would be a 5 with no hesitation. buy one but dont expect quality.

BXLISTENER Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2011 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Very useful for SSB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product makes a massive difference on SSB. The noise reduction is really very very good. Reception can be further enhanced by making the usual adjustments to the controlls on your radio. I am a broadcast listener suffering from severe multiple QRM, plasma TV next door on shortwave and another device (unknown) blasting long and medium wave. Under these severe conditions the bhi was still able to improve listenability especially with speach. It is not so good with music which sounds watery or bubbley. If you were trying to ID a station slipping in and out of the noise the bhi would probably make all the difference. It is quite small, about 5 inches wide. Being small it will not sound as good as the speaker you usually use so if you want good sound connect it to a big speaker (3.5mm mono jack). It is expensive and will not completely eliminate the worst QRM but in most cases will improve reception and is very good against QRN. I hope this short review is of use, 73s all from Ian in Wales UK.