Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver
MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$250.00
Description: QRP CW TRANCEIVER
MFJ-9200 is a bold new addition to MFJ`s legendary QRP transceiver line, delivering unmatched six-band CW performance in a compact pocket-sized package
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/index.php/productsearch.php?searchit=mfj-9200%20mfj-9215%20mfj-9217%20mfj-9220%20mfj-9230%20mfj-9240%20mfj-9280

You can write your own review of the MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not an expert, but I love this little radio. I got mine with the 80m module installed, then bought the 15m, 20m and 40m modules. I am pretty inexperienced at CW but the built-in keyer works fine with my TT-1 touch key. I don't use the call key so the PSE doesn't bother me. I live in NH and it works fine for QSOs with FL -- so it transmits and receives just fine.

The audio is only a problem if you try to use mono headphones, and it mentions this in the manual. With my audio-technica ATH-M30 headphones or simple earbuds from an MP3 player, it makes plenty of audio.

The finals on this thing are robust, which I found by accidentally keying into an improperly adjusted ATU with an SWR of 10:1. I didn't realize that until AFTER the QSOs!

The thing I like most about this radio is its simplicity. It has buttons for an attenuator, CQ call and backlight that I never use anyway, along with a tuning and volume knob, rit/mode and mem/vfo buttons. That's all. You can learn how to use all the functions of this rig in just a few minutes.

This little beast is small enough I can pack it in my carry-on, it works off a battery or wall-wart, its robust and has a solid receiver.

My only complaint is that mine didn't come with a way of keeping the band modules from working loose and shorting on the case. I solved that by gluing a thin insulator to the bottom.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2011 18:25 Send this review to a friend
pocket powerhouse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"Santa" - with a little steer from me - brought me a nice little xmas present this year. As I have always had good luck with MFJ products (and less-than-good with "T-T" products) I asked Santa for their version of this Chinese "pocket transceiver". After reading the reviews here I had low expectations, so wasn't surprised when the receiver seemed pretty flat, under portable conditions. This was for TWO reasons: 1, my antenna was a short mobile whip placed on a metal deck table 5' in diameter, and 2, I had no tools with me to align the 30 meter receiver module. Getting back to my own shack, I first did this alignment - the difference was dramatic DO NOT OMIT THIS STEP! Also, my 90' ladder-line dipole did a MUCH better job than the shorty whip as an antenna. Lastly, a REAL power supply rated at 2 A or more will result in much more watts out than an 8 alkaline "D" cell pack, and you can leave the backlight on.
With a real antenna
the receiver sensitivity is comparable to my base radio, the IC-718. I know there are some who will say "Big Deal" at that, but considering what it is, I thought the sensitivity about right. and there was PLENTY of audio in my cheap Radio Shack stereo headset. I really can't understand that particular complaint in the other reviews. Maybe I got an updated model.
Anyway, every single session has produced some DX contacts, usually with good reports, nothing below 569 yet, and several European stations worked, plus a few Caribbean and west coast US. Near what one would expect of a base radio.
The manual is short, but there isn't a lot to learn, so it's an easy learning curve.
I am looking forward to adding a few more modules. Might even try a CW contest.
Don't be afraid to try this radio,

W4IA Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2011 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Radio Replaced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The original evidently had a software problem. MFJ replaced it and the new unit works very well.

W4IA Rating: 2/5 Oct 13, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Change of heart!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this radio since late July. More time with it has produced the following:
1. Poor receiver -sensitivity and selectivity.
2. Random frequency jumps.
3. Birdies from DDS.
4. Schematic not available
Have you ever tried to get through to MFJ's service department? No support after the sale.

Not a total piece of junk,but disappointing after using IC703+, FT817, etc. When you add the cost of the band modules, it is not a bargain.

KD8HES Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2011 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Less than great Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous rig before this was an SW-40+, so my experience with the 9220/30/40 is based on that radio's performance. Some observations:
1. The audio output is quite low. Using good earbuds, I pretty much always have the gain all the way up, all the time.
2. Listening in my SW40, and then the MFJ9240 reveals that the MFJ does not have a sharp receiver. 569 signals on the SW40 weren't even picked up by the MFJ9240.
3. With a 14V supply, power is appx. 6W on 40, 8W on 20 and 30 Meters.
4. Band modules are super easy to change, and shouldn't discourage you from buying the radio.
5. The detented rotary tuning dial isn't the best, but you get used to it.
6. When you use the automatic CQ, the radio transmits your callsign 2-4 wpm faster than the actual CQ, and the PSE at the end is kind of annoying.

All that out of the way, I have worked great DX into Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Sweden, France, Mexico, and heard sigs from Russia, Italy, Holland, Germany, etc. I'm having a blast with this rig, but MFJ could definitely make some improvements. If there is a reason not to buy this radio, it is because of the weak receiver. ~Zeke~ KD8HES

K8WPE Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Weak ears and low audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my MFJ-9200 for two months, using it at my cottage with a Par Endfedz 40-20-10 and a Black Widow fishing pole vertical. I am using a Hendricks BLT tuner.
The ears are weak compared to my KX-1 and the audio is weak for my old ears with a good Sony studio type padded earphones. It like the size and the modules are not a problem. I just wish it could hear better.
Just like my HB1-A the CQ function in the keyer is very difficult to get it to send my call evenly spaced. I have loaded it 20 - 30 times and the timing is still a little off. The "PSE" at the end is a dead give away as to Chinese manufacture and I wish I could delete that.
It is a little pricey with all the modules. Another toy to sit on my shelf with all my other QRP radios. I am thankful I have an 817 and a K2.

W4IA Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my 9200 and all the band modules for almost two months. I use a powered PC speaker for fixed station audio, and 25 ohm headphones when portable. The low pass filters are very rugged, but I added some hot glue around the toroids to keep them from moving. The receiver works well, but could benefit from a tighter cw filter. This is not the radio you would probably use in a contest anyway!

The build quality is good, the price is right, and it is a lot of fun to use.

K8RBW Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2011 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Clone of HB1-A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I normally wait to do reviews, but this is a clone of the Chinese HB1-A, something I already own. Ten-Tec has rebranded the HB1-A and is selling it as a dual band radio. In this case, it is somewhat redesigned with both advantges and disadvantages.
PRO:
-It allows you to work 80,40,30,20,17 and 15.
-It is about 2/3 the size of the HB1-A making it somwhat easier to carry.
CON:
-The audio output is EXTREMELY LOW, much lower than the HB1-A or Elecraft KX1. It makes the attenuator totally superfluous. Indeed, I finally used 8 ohm headphones to get somewhat decent volume with the AF at maximum. This is a major problem. It gives real meaning to the old saying that if you can hear them you can work them.
-To gain the wide variety of bands you must change modules. In this respect, it is like the Ten-Tec Scout except that you have to remove the bottom of the case to install them.
-Apparently because of its size, MFJ does not mention a provision for installing batteries. I noted that, like the HB1-A, the board has an interior jack for installing them. It would appear that one could perhaps fit in a 9 volt battery and a couple of AA or AAA cells.
-Bandwidth is a bit wide for my preference as it only allows 600 Hz for CW. The only other option is for SSB. It really would be greatly helped by a SCAF filter, but that negates the advantage of the size. The HB1-A, by way of contrast, allows for 400 up to 900 in increments of 100 in CW mode.
-Unlike the HB1-A, it has no provision for displaying the power output or S meter indication.

CONCLUSION: This would be a really nice radio if it had higher audio output. I have had no trouble working stations as far as 2300 miles in Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica with a 20 meter Par EndFedz antenna at about 25 feet, but it was difficult copy with the low audio output. If you desire 15 and 17 meters, the MFJ-9200 will help in this regard; if not, the HB1-A of KX1 are a wiser purchase.

Vy 73 to all,
de Dick, K8RBW

WA6MCL Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2011 09:05 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 92XX mini radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well after years of using the HW-7 Heathkit this rig was a wonderful transition to new technology. MFJ was helpful and shipped it right away. I ordered the 40 and 20 meter modules. It is easy to tune, the built in keyer is great and if you want it will autosense a straight key or paddle with a 3.5MM stereo plug. The RIT is quite broad almost 10 KC each side of frequency that can make it cool for stations listening up for pileups. The display is easy to read, and multi-function. It could use a power out and swr in the display but that might be asking for way too much.

It looks similar I am told to the HRD Chinese radio (it is out-purchased by MFJ from China) but does not have provisions for internal batteries. It is small very light and mine puts out about 7 watts. Output power is not adjustable except with supply voltage. It has a high quality BNC antenna jack so you might need the PL259 adapter. It is a bit cumbersome to open the case with easy to turn thumb screws to change the band modules but only takes a few minutes.

I also built the Ramsey Qamp 20W amplifier and the 9200 drives it nicely with almost 25W out! For the money ready to go radio the price is fair and will get you on air quickly.

After a month of use I would say it is a real winner. In time I am sure other hams will get a chance to use and make their own reviews. MFJ has not put too much info online about the radio yet so data right now is hard to get.