Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver
MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$250.00
Description: QRP CW TRANCEIVER
MFJ-9200 is a bold new addition to MFJ`s legendary QRP transceiver line, delivering unmatched six-band CW performance in a compact pocket-sized package
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/index.php/productsearch.php?searchit=mfj-9200%20mfj-9215%20mfj-9217%20mfj-9220%20mfj-9230%20mfj-9240%20mfj-9280

You can write your own review of the MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver.

AH7I Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 01:40 Send this review to a friend
update 11 months later  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've taken it to the beach and used it at home.

Receiver: sensitive; works fine at urban QTH; filter bandwidth is just right; RF attenuator is nice for 80 and 40.

Transmitter: enough power to work the world with a dipole.

Documentation: KD1JV drew up a schematic and KL7KN put together a nice manual for this transceiver. Thank you!
It's nice to see how it goes together and have the docs should it need repair.

Radio was unavailable for a while but is back in stock at the time of this writing.

DL1AIW Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2016 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Happy for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my main SOTA or GMA rig these days - and the only one since I've sold my FT817. It does, what it should: transmitting a clear CW-signal with 5 W on all bands I use. Reception is good, far ahead of that of my old FT817, which was lacking an additional roofing filter, which costs half the price of this small transceiver. Size and weight are remarkably small, excellent for mountain walking or climbing. I never had any of the problems I've read about in the internet.

It only does CW which is not a problem for me, because I don't do anything else during SOTA activations. Lacking of VHF and 70 cm ist also not a severe case for me, because I've stopped 2m activities from summits. VHF seems to be more dead than ever here in Germany if you don't try during contests.

I did not perform any measurements but it seems that during reception the power consumption is lower than that of the FT817.

The only con is the fact that is that tis try is mechanically not as stable as the old FT817, which seemed to be mechanically nearly undestroyable. That is the reason for only 4 points here.

The price of a new one is much less compared to Elcraft rigs. Therefore it is unfair, to compare it with these transceivers forming another class.

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2016 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Happy With My Two 9200's  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MFJ9200 is about the best value in a QRP mini rig. Get the one with all the modules. The case screws can be kept from loss by adding a set of thin nylon washers. Cut to split and slide over the screws to the base, easy fix. Using mine with a Palm key.The magnetic base sticks well to the 9200's metal enclosure.

DL1AIW Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2016 07:17 Send this review to a friend
great for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this transceiver only for SOTA and it has replaced the former FT 817 due to size (smaller), weight (much easier) and performance (comparable). I didn't have any of the troubles reported by few other OM's and I'm fully satisfied. It does, what it should: bringing solid 5 W in the air, doing satisfactory filtering in receive mode and keying really fine.

If sensitivity seems to be low (definitely not with my trx) one should try to re-align the filters, which should be easy with sufficient equipment. In my case sensitivity its definitely fine, also concerning the fact, that during SOTA activations antennas are far from optimized.

You will surely loose the screws used to fix the back of the trx while changing the filters. As always this will not happen in the lab, but in the field in a dense cover of grass without any chance to find them. That is the reason for me to carry a few spare-screws with me which cost only pennies.

I could recommend this small trx to everyone doing activations in the outback, especially if we talk about it's price!

KD2JQG Rating: 0/5 Jun 16, 2016 13:30 Send this review to a friend
2 Radios, Both Worthless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The short version - Received the first radio, it shows up with a sticky Mem-VFO button - every time I tried to toggle between vfo and mem, I would end up saving the current displayed frequency. Annoying. Returned it, they sent a new one. Operated it for a couple of hours on a 9V battery - while calling CQ it lets out a high pitched squeal and stops transmitting. Tried swapping out modules, new batteries - no luck, receive only no transmit. Returned it for refund.

KL7KN Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2016 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Much better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My earlier review highlighted the need for technical documentation.

I've written a technical manual and thanks to Steve Weber (KD1JV) - there is now a usable schematic for the radio. I will send both (as a .PDF documents) on request, gratis.

Several folks have managed to resolve a problem with their rigs using the document set.

The radio is quiet, has good coverage, RX sensitivity is .2 uV or better and is much smaller than other QRP rigs.

K8AI Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the radio for portable ops and I would say after using it on a couple of backpacking trips, it was a good choice. Six bands and a solid 5+ watts out at even low supply voltage and weighing in at 3/4 of a pound makes it a winner. The encoder - controlled DDS is stable (not erratic at all), the RIT works fine and it has a nice, selective filter. I get constant reports of a nice keying note as well. I use it with a 12.6V, 3Ah Li-Ion battery and resonant dipole. A great radio for hiking, etc where the radio's weight matters.

WD4HLO Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2015 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the radio for about a week and am very pleased with it. I've had no problem making contacts to South America and Europe on 20 meters in marginal conditons. That is with a dipole at 15 feet. The receiver is very good. My only wish is that the filter bandwidth was a little narrower. It has a surprisingly clean sound. Can't wait to try it out in a park or in the woods.

KL7KN Rating: 3/5 Jun 15, 2015 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Newbies - Be careful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
IMO, the MFJ 9200 QRP radio **IS NOT** something I would recommend for the new ham or one that has limited technical skills. Let me explain the why behind this statement.

1. Low power AND CW only.
With rare exception, not something a new ham is going to enjoy. I suspect that a lot of radios like this (Not just this make/model) will wind up on a dusty shelf.

1A. Lack of any real technical data!
There is NO schematic or parts list. I see this as an absolute killer for someone new to the hobby. I've been licensed since 1977 and I'm none too happy about the lack of data as well. The rig has a downloadable operator manual, but it is all but worthless for troubleshooting....

2. The VFO and volume controls are crazy delicate and likely to be damaged unless the operator uses some serious care with packing and movement of the radio. No harsh, just the nature of the components used. These sit on a double sided board filled with SMD, not a robust situation. Real care must be exercised with the band modules for storage, transport and when swapping them out. The headers can be damaged, and unless you recognize this need for care, you may be disappointed.

3. The VFO is flaky.
Multiple other reviewers have noted this. When you turn the control, the VFO jumps, goes both up and down or fails to change the frequency. The VFO control is also a push button used to change the VFO steps. Good engineering to reduce parts count, but as a former (20+ years) maintenance guy, I'll tell you now, this is, IMO, a bad choice. I'll wind up replacing this at some time, and knew that going it, so no big.

4. Overall Quality or lack thereof.
No worse than the average "China radio" and better than a lot on the market now. Just ensure you buy from a dealer that has a published return policy.

5. Service after the sale.
It's from MFJ I'm not holding my breath. To be fair, expecting real technical/repair support from *any* ham dealer is, for the most part, expecting too much. This is a low budget, low volume hobby market. Take that into consideration before you harsh on anyone...

6. Technical stuff.
No RF gain. No variable B/W and the list could go on. This is a *basic* radio, CW only, that offers a chance to listen to SSB. The only real annoying issue is that at every Mhz - 7.0, 12,0 15.0 and so on for the entire range of the radio - there is a loud birdie. Every Mhz. I suspect it's from the DDS scheme, I'll keep digging to see if this can be cleared.

Bottom line I'm not sending mine back.

Kits similar to this radio, with only 2 or 3 bands *start* at $200 and up for a kit. It works, puts out a good, clean signal and the quirks - well, I think I can live with those.

Be warned, this rig is not for everyone, but it offers me a compact (not miniature) low current draw radio that enables me to use most of the HF hams bands.

Do I wish for a rig that fits into a mint tin, has a tuner and does both CW/sideband, runs off of AAA batteries and... Yeah, and the Communicator fell out of Capt. Kirk's pocket last week as well.

This is a sort of expensive toy for an expensive hobby and I fully expect to have a lot of fun working on and playing with it.

WB2JIX Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This should really not be in the 5W or less section. We tested mine with the 20M filter yesterday and the output was 8.36W and the receiver sensitivity was a nice, .2uv. I have yet to take it out in the field and use it. I have listened around the bands a lot, tried all the features and find it to be a perfect little rig for CW. I did email MFJ and suggested they use captive screws for the bottom thumbscrews and/or send a few extra with each radio. They are sure to be lost outdoors. Also, there is a mistake in the manual for the 6 band one as there is no standoff for securing the filter.