Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver
MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$250.00
Description: QRP CW TRANCEIVER
MFJ-9200 is a bold new addition to MFJ`s legendary QRP transceiver line, delivering unmatched six-band CW performance in a compact pocket-sized package
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/index.php/productsearch.php?searchit=mfj-9200%20mfj-9215%20mfj-9217%20mfj-9220%20mfj-9230%20mfj-9240%20mfj-9280

You can write your own review of the MFJ 9200 QRP Mini Multi Band Transceiver.

W4DST Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2015 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my MFJ 9296 as a birthday present from my wife. After a month of use I've found it to be a lot of radio for the money. Granted, it's no K3 but for my QRP use it's the perfect radio. It appears to be designed by Yimin Zhao of Youkits judging from the programming of the microprocessor and the general physical looks of the radio. I have owned an HB1-B for over a year and the MFJ-9296 has the same quality and ease of operation which I've come to appreciate with the HB1-B. The only downside is that the MFJ lacks the adjustable crystal filter. Still, the filter in the MFJ does a very good job and by using the RIT, working DX splits is very easy.

There have obviously been improvements from earlier models looking back at comments on the rig. The receiver is quite sensitive and the audio output is excellent. The filter is easily 500Hz by comparing it to my other rigs and I hear no ringing.

The ability to store 8 memories per band is a big improvement over my HB1-B and the addition of 17 and 15 meters is another plus. To get 6 bands of coverage for $100 less than the price of an HB1-B makes it a real bargain for any QRPer or anyone wanting to explore QRP operation. How can you go wrong for about $250 including shipping?

I'm not sure how MFJ can sell this much radio for this low price, but I sure appreciate it.

W4ONC Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2015 10:27 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with the MFJ-9200. So far I have worked 25 DX stations and loads of USA stations. I purchased a Power Supply where I could adjust the voltage so that my output power would be at 5 watts. This way I am able to enter QRP Sprints with the correct amount of contest power. I would definitely suggest this radio to anyone getting into QRP Communications.

KD1SK Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2014 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP radio for the price!  Time owned: months
I was looking for a small CW QRP radio that is back-packable. Never used CW much but I figure this would give me the bug to get on the air with CW. I have the Yaesu ft-817 and had a lot of fun with that on phone on many field tips but never used CW. So on to the radio: I considered You Kits and Ten Tec similar radios but all are on backorder with a long wait list. I looked at the MFJ 9200 and it looked pretty interesting with all band plug in modules. I have a Ten Tec Scout with plug in modules so that never bothered me. I figured I would give the MFJ a try. I have other MFJ products and have had good success. I found one from HRO and had it in 3 days. I wasn't sure what to expect. Upon opening I was surprised how small it was, this is a cool thing. It had nice weight to it and didn't feel cheap at all. Mine came with the 40m band so I plugged it into my dipole and fired it up. To be honest I was expecting the audio to be real low. I plugged in my ear buds from My IPOD and I was amazed at how loud this was. The audio at full gain hurt my ears. Now on to the receiver. Awesome receive with very low noise up against side by side with my big rigs. Pulled in cw with no problem and short wave too. I opened the back with two thumb screws to view the module, extracting and replacing was a breeze and back on the air in seconds. Transmit was fine with my straight key into a dummy load. Some great features too, RIT, ATT, CW call and built in memories. Overall a great little radio and looking to brush up on my CW and get on the air QRP style on my next remote kayak trip..73

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not an expert, but I love this little radio. I got mine with the 80m module installed, then bought the 15m, 20m and 40m modules. I am pretty inexperienced at CW but the built-in keyer works fine with my TT-1 touch key. I don't use the call key so the PSE doesn't bother me. I live in NH and it works fine for QSOs with FL -- so it transmits and receives just fine.

The audio is only a problem if you try to use mono headphones, and it mentions this in the manual. With my audio-technica ATH-M30 headphones or simple earbuds from an MP3 player, it makes plenty of audio.

The finals on this thing are robust, which I found by accidentally keying into an improperly adjusted ATU with an SWR of 10:1. I didn't realize that until AFTER the QSOs!

The thing I like most about this radio is its simplicity. It has buttons for an attenuator, CQ call and backlight that I never use anyway, along with a tuning and volume knob, rit/mode and mem/vfo buttons. That's all. You can learn how to use all the functions of this rig in just a few minutes.

This little beast is small enough I can pack it in my carry-on, it works off a battery or wall-wart, its robust and has a solid receiver.

My only complaint is that mine didn't come with a way of keeping the band modules from working loose and shorting on the case. I solved that by gluing a thin insulator to the bottom.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2011 18:25 Send this review to a friend
pocket powerhouse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"Santa" - with a little steer from me - brought me a nice little xmas present this year. As I have always had good luck with MFJ products (and less-than-good with "T-T" products) I asked Santa for their version of this Chinese "pocket transceiver". After reading the reviews here I had low expectations, so wasn't surprised when the receiver seemed pretty flat, under portable conditions. This was for TWO reasons: 1, my antenna was a short mobile whip placed on a metal deck table 5' in diameter, and 2, I had no tools with me to align the 30 meter receiver module. Getting back to my own shack, I first did this alignment - the difference was dramatic DO NOT OMIT THIS STEP! Also, my 90' ladder-line dipole did a MUCH better job than the shorty whip as an antenna. Lastly, a REAL power supply rated at 2 A or more will result in much more watts out than an 8 alkaline "D" cell pack, and you can leave the backlight on.
With a real antenna
the receiver sensitivity is comparable to my base radio, the IC-718. I know there are some who will say "Big Deal" at that, but considering what it is, I thought the sensitivity about right. and there was PLENTY of audio in my cheap Radio Shack stereo headset. I really can't understand that particular complaint in the other reviews. Maybe I got an updated model.
Anyway, every single session has produced some DX contacts, usually with good reports, nothing below 569 yet, and several European stations worked, plus a few Caribbean and west coast US. Near what one would expect of a base radio.
The manual is short, but there isn't a lot to learn, so it's an easy learning curve.
I am looking forward to adding a few more modules. Might even try a CW contest.
Don't be afraid to try this radio,

W4IA Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2011 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Radio Replaced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The original evidently had a software problem. MFJ replaced it and the new unit works very well.

W4IA Rating: 2/5 Oct 13, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Change of heart!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this radio since late July. More time with it has produced the following:
1. Poor receiver -sensitivity and selectivity.
2. Random frequency jumps.
3. Birdies from DDS.
4. Schematic not available
Have you ever tried to get through to MFJ's service department? No support after the sale.

Not a total piece of junk,but disappointing after using IC703+, FT817, etc. When you add the cost of the band modules, it is not a bargain.

KD8HES Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2011 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Less than great Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous rig before this was an SW-40+, so my experience with the 9220/30/40 is based on that radio's performance. Some observations:
1. The audio output is quite low. Using good earbuds, I pretty much always have the gain all the way up, all the time.
2. Listening in my SW40, and then the MFJ9240 reveals that the MFJ does not have a sharp receiver. 569 signals on the SW40 weren't even picked up by the MFJ9240.
3. With a 14V supply, power is appx. 6W on 40, 8W on 20 and 30 Meters.
4. Band modules are super easy to change, and shouldn't discourage you from buying the radio.
5. The detented rotary tuning dial isn't the best, but you get used to it.
6. When you use the automatic CQ, the radio transmits your callsign 2-4 wpm faster than the actual CQ, and the PSE at the end is kind of annoying.

All that out of the way, I have worked great DX into Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Sweden, France, Mexico, and heard sigs from Russia, Italy, Holland, Germany, etc. I'm having a blast with this rig, but MFJ could definitely make some improvements. If there is a reason not to buy this radio, it is because of the weak receiver. ~Zeke~ KD8HES

K8WPE Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Weak ears and low audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my MFJ-9200 for two months, using it at my cottage with a Par Endfedz 40-20-10 and a Black Widow fishing pole vertical. I am using a Hendricks BLT tuner.
The ears are weak compared to my KX-1 and the audio is weak for my old ears with a good Sony studio type padded earphones. It like the size and the modules are not a problem. I just wish it could hear better.
Just like my HB1-A the CQ function in the keyer is very difficult to get it to send my call evenly spaced. I have loaded it 20 - 30 times and the timing is still a little off. The "PSE" at the end is a dead give away as to Chinese manufacture and I wish I could delete that.
It is a little pricey with all the modules. Another toy to sit on my shelf with all my other QRP radios. I am thankful I have an 817 and a K2.

W4IA Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my 9200 and all the band modules for almost two months. I use a powered PC speaker for fixed station audio, and 25 ohm headphones when portable. The low pass filters are very rugged, but I added some hot glue around the toroids to keep them from moving. The receiver works well, but could benefit from a tighter cw filter. This is not the radio you would probably use in a contest anyway!

The build quality is good, the price is right, and it is a lot of fun to use.