Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR851A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR851A
Kenwood TR851A Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 70CM all mode transceiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR851A.

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Not Too Many of These Around!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A rare 432 all mode rig. I bought this for weak signal DX work and satellites. It has a very sensitive receiver and comes in a compact mobile package. I found mine on ebay and paid $185 for it. It was in perfect (a 10 all the way) condition electrically and cosmetically. I also had the TR 751A but let that go when I picked up a Icom 746. If you see one of these for sale, go for it. I rarely see them any more.

SQ7DQX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2005 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Old but gold ;-)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have A version (E needs new diodes config, easy to resolder). I use TR851A to satellite communication (AO-7, FO-29 and I hope new ones that will be launched) without preamp and any TX filter (duplexer ect) who helps reject strong 144MHz signal transmitted simultaneously in full duplex mode (TX - IC746 50W). There isn't any signs of sensitivity decrease on 430Mhz, its superb receiver. Previously I used FT817 to receive on 70cm band. Don't ask what happens always when I was transmitting on 144MHz to satellite... noise noise noise... 25W from Kenwood is sufficient. Wants more ? You should think abt better antenna :-) Its old radio but it has very good receiver. Lets look how circuit of receiver was designed. Who use helical filters now in mobile radio ? Nobody. Kenwood did it and did it very well. It allows me now to enjoy birds like AO-7 or FO-29. Strongly recommended !!!

VK3BRZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2001 23:24 Send this review to a friend
A great little UHF package  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own both the TR-751A and the TR-851A. Mostly I use them for portable/field/contest work. It's nice to have two rigs that drive the same! The '851A puts out a healthy 25W, all modes, which is handy for driving a grunty amplifier. I use a PA with two MRF646 transistors which need the whole 25W to get 85W out.

I rarely use FM, but the rig does all it's supposed to in this mode. Mostly I operate SSB weak-signal. The rig's sensitivity is as good as any for FM work, but isn't up to snuff for real DX work. This is not a problem. No 70cm rig I've ever used is good enough without a mast-head low-noise preamp, so I don't see this as a problem.

Frequency stability is acceptable (far better than the '751A!, in fact). Mine drifts about 450Hz from cold in the first hour, then stays put.

Memory capacity is a bit limited by current standards (there's 10 memories which store frequency, mode and repeater offset), but I personally find this enough, otherwise my own memory can't remember what's in the rig's memories.

These rigs are quite rare in VK, and elsewhere it seems. Maybe they were just to expensive when new. I bought mine second-hand for $550 (VK-$). If you see one, don't hesitate - grab it before someone else does.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2000 14:50 Send this review to a friend
fantastic radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was the first 432 radio I owned. It is the 70cm version of the TR751A two meter radio, but it seems kind of rare. I don't see a lot of them for sale, but I may be because of the quality of the rig. It is a fantastic 432 all mode radio. Puts out 25 watts on all modes. Has a great receiver, which is very sensitive. Not enough 432 activity here to comment on selectivity. Has a nice color display, and voice synthesizer option. This has all of the features you could want in a 432 all mode, and comes in a nice mobile package. If youi want to get on 432, buy this radio if you can find it, you will not be disappointed. I ran mine in a few vhf contests with very good results. I kind of trading it for a FT736R. Hope to get another one sometime soon. Maybe one of Kenwoods finest efforts in the vhf/uhf mobile market.