Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Help

Reviews Summary for N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix
N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$25.99
Description: Roll up portable 2 meter/70cm antenna with 16' lead and your choice of connector.

n9tax@2wayelectronix.com

More info: http://www.n9tax.com/Slim%20Jim%20Info.html

You can write your own review of the N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix.

AG6UK Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna for my HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna for use with my HT during camping trips and SOTA activations. It provides a huge performance advantage over the rubber duck. I ordered it with an N connector and use 15ft of LMR-400 Ultraflex mated to 4 feet of RG-58 which has an N connector on one end and the SMA connector for the HT on the other. The slim jim and cable roll up nicely to fit in my backpack. I usually try to string the antenna up in a tree or hang it from a 16ft Jackite pole which yields excellent results. I angle the pole slightly so that the slim jim hangs free a few inches from the pole. The slim jim does have several soldered joints so some care is needed when transporting. I broke mine by stuffing it too many times into my backpack instead of rolling it up carefully. When I went to purchase another one, I mentioned what had happened and Joe offered to fix the broken one at no charge. I now have the repaired one as a backup. Great service and a great product.

KD8UEI Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent antenna. It is far, far, far better than any whip you can buy. I have it hanging in my living room in front of a window, and I am able to hit repeaters 30 miles away with my HT. I have tested it in the attic, and it's even better. I am considering getting a second one for the attic or outdoors. The icing on the cake is that it's portable - just roll it up and go. If you have an HT and are tired of the performance of whip antennas, the N9TAX is the logical next step.

W0VLL Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Works great - even in the basement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
People say you can build this antenna yourself and save a few bucks - well by the time you buy all the connectors and parts and heatshrink, etc, I doubt you would save much at all. And I wouldn't do as good of a job as N9TAX did.

I currently have it hanging from the ceiling in my basement below grade with a push pin and with it I can work the repeater on the other side of the city. Even 440 works for once. I couldn't do this with the radio's supplied antenna. Imagine how well it will work outside.

I bought it to keep in my car for emergency comms, but I like it so much, I'll probably get a second one for home use.

N9TAX sells on ebay and also direct through his website. It seems he has a wider selection of connectors available on his website and the prices are slightly cheaper. I bought one with 16 feet of coax and a female SMA to screw right into my cheap Chinese radio but I'll probably get a BNC next time and an adapter.

Summary - well made, totally worth it, works great on both bands.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought I might add this. I decided I would like to have a frame to mount my N9TAX Slim Jim and there were some plans on the web site for a bow. I looked them over and decided to build an elongated U to mount mine on an old camera tripod. Got some 1/2 inch PVC, a 90 deg elbow, a Tee, and a couple of wire ties. Assembled it in 15 minutes and the antenna now free stands whoever I set the tripod. Next I will add the adapters to allow use of a big painters pole to support it when traveling.

KD8TZC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't have built one any better or for less  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is top notch quality and the service that Joe provides is outstanding. I had an issue with my install (due to user error on my part when attaching the connectors to the coax) and Joe walked me through some great troubleshooting steps.

The antenna that he provides is top quality, and it shows. He has a nice little Velcro strap on it so you can roll it up to store it if need be, and I don't think I could have built one of these for less than what he charges.

The order shipped immediately and I received it in no time.

If you are looking for a quality 2m/440MHz base antenna, this is a great product. I would purchase another one if I had a need.

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 2M/70 CM Antenna I have ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these because I'm living in an apartment and did not have the space to put up my Ringo where the apartment manager would not complain about an antenna. When I got it...hung it in front of the window in my room. I was talking on a repeater over 35 miles away. When I put it outside...got a piece of PVC pipe and put it inside of that. Was hitting the local repeaters with full quieting on 10 and 25 W. Using my FT-60 with it for a while...I was hitting the local repeaters with 5 W. Now...it's hung inside of the house in my dining room window and have no problems with hitting any of the local repeaters on 25 W. The only thing I would recommend is get the dual band version with the 16 foot piece of coax.

N2KLS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Well made, Excellent performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During Hurricane Sandy here in New Jersey, Our OEM assigned me for communications at a Red Cross Shelter. My only set-up was an HT and Rubber duck antenna wich was less than ideal. I wish I had this antenna from N9TAX. After the hurricane, I decided to upgrade my go kit, and this little beauty fit the bill nicely. Could you build this yourself? Yes. But, I could not have done a nicer job. This antenna is very well made and performs very well. N9TAX is a craftsman, and the order was shipped right away. I am probably going to order more! Good Job!

KF5MKO Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great For My HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well made and he made an adapter to go to my handy-talky's SMA connector. Had some sporadic E and heard some guys in Oklahoma City from my location near Tulsa.

Was unable to reach them with the "rubber duck" that came with the HT so I got a string and hauled the N9TAX antenna about 20' up in a tree and was able to reach them with a signal report of 3 by 6.

CR7AEL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Beats an 5/8 vertical !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one on ebay and love it!!! Beats an 5/8 antenna on open field, but if you live on dense urban area, the vertical wins. I ask if N9TAX could do me one exclusive uhf about an year ago or so, and he say yes. It is outstanding on PMR frequencies and General uhf, and listens very well!

Single vhf, single uhf ( its small :)- ) or double band, its an fine fine fine antenna, you guys should get one!!! 73 from Portugal, and sorry for bad spelling :)

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 11:07 Send this review to a friend
You can't build one of these better or for less!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now really.. that's really to broad a statement. But I would challenge you to try. Include your time and I'd win. And believe me, try one of these antennas and you'll win too. I just got mine and I hooked it up on a front porch (I've never hit a repeater from the front of my house, always the back corner) and BAM!, my favorite New Mexico Mega Link.... this antenna really works well and it is clean. Built better than I would do it it. The UHF is awesome too. Have another tower I can only hit from the backyard. I got it off the porch too... a little scratchy, but never heard from the porch before. These tests were all with a V6 Yaesu HT at 5 and 4 watts respectively. If ratings went higher here so would the rating on this antenna......
Here's his link....